Post-Game Talk: devs beat rags

Status
Not open for further replies.

BomaLightDevils

Jan 15, 2011
Copenhagen
I know it's early and all that but could anybody think what we could get back for a guy like Zacha?

Duchene, A Nashville D, maybe a couture if the Sharks decide to go the other way, leddy.

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
I was always chirped at for years from 2009 to 2013 and I never say or do anything at road games
I always keep to my self and try not to cheer too loud when Devils score.

Friendliest fans are in DC, I try to go down for a Devils-Caps game every year. Got a lot family down there so it makes it easier.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
I always keep to my self and try not to cheer too loud when Devils score.

Friendliest fans are in DC, I try to go down for a Devils-Caps game every year. Got a lot family down there so it makes it easier.
Maybe I just have bad luck then haha. Worst encounter I ever had at a road game was at Washington. It was the second gm of the season where the Devils were pummeled like 7-2 in 2010/20111, a big fight ensued and the trashiest Cap fan wanted to start a fight with me for no reason during the on ice fight while I was minding my own business. He even grabbed me by the collar....

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Didnt get home from Ocktoberfest until 1:10, so just finishing the DVR of the game.

The worst Devil tonight? John Hynes.

1) PK unit out for FULL 2 minutes and ices the puck, guys GASSED, Greene cant even move, yet he DOESNT use his Time Out
2) Late in 3rd with 1 minute left Devils unit ices puck. Instead of USING the Time Out he should have used before for 'D' unit, he doesnt, Devils get scored on to make it 3-2
3) With 30 seconds left in game he has light-as-a-feather NICO out there!

Just terrible coaching. The one bright spot is apparently Hynes agrees with me regarding how terrible MoJo has been this season.

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Other observations:

Moore had another poor game, doing nothing to stop Nash on the 1st Rangers goal, and giving Nash a CLEAN breakaway in the 3rd.

Butcher had his best game as a Devil. Wise beyond his years and experience. I didnt notice Santini at all, which means he had a "good" game too.

Many cute plays in 'D' zone rather than taking the simple out, led to pucks NOT getting out of Devils zone. I hate this. Hockey didnt used to be played this way. Easily could have cost them.

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Been to about 10 Devils-Rangers games there, never had a problem with anyone.

Same. MSG isnt a bad place for visiting fans. Especially if you're in the lower bowl, which is a lot of corporate. But even up high I've never had a problem with morons.

kiwidevil

I m not one to defend Hiney, but you can't use a timeout after icings anymore. Unless I am mistaken???

Shot count seemed bad as it always will when they are chasing. But it was good to see how many of their 3rd period shots were weak wristers from the point, or pure hope plays. Most of the d kept the structure and the forwards had really good sticks in lanes. Especially on the PK when we were trapped forever.

NY seemed to lack any creativity, so a simple box was easy to defend with, even when we were gassed.
Funny to see Nash get the breakaway on a pure cherry pick, and then get off 2 shots where it looked like he was shooting a bowling ball. So weak and slow.

Hall really seemed to fumble the puck and then give up on the play a lot.

Nico needs to go back to simplifying his game. he doesn't need to try and spin guys into the ice with his skating. It is his simple deceptive edge work that makes him dangerous.

I loved Bratt's move later in the game to get a shot off. A simple shimmy to get from the circles to the centre slot. Really impressive.

Butcher just seems to make the right play, all the time. Then has the poise to create so many mini-breaks/advantages with timing of passes.

Last edited:

NJ07102

Apr 15, 2012
Germany
Hey Avs, thanks for never signing Butcher!

The way he skates into the opponents zone during PPs is awesome. He has great vision and poise. The only guy on the team that is able to do this and the main reason for his many assists.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Didnt get home from Ocktoberfest until 1:10, so just finishing the DVR of the game.

1) PK unit out for FULL 2 minutes and ices the puck, guys GASSED, Greene cant even move, yet he DOESNT use his Time Out
2) Late in 3rd with 1 minute left Devils unit ices puck. Instead of USING the Time Out he should have used before for 'D' unit, he doesnt, Devils get scored on to make it 3-2

Just terrible coaching. The one bright spot is apparently Hynes agrees with me regarding how terrible MoJo has been this season.

You can't call time outs after icings anymore. It is a league wide rule change

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
We got lucky last night. We've played one good period out of the last eight. Call me crazy, because we're 4 and 1, and I'm worried it's only just a mirage. As for Zacha, he needs to play with more passion or urgency. There is definitely something lacking in his game. He may turn out to be our 3rd line center very soon. And can it be after the first 3 games, teams already cracked the Hynes system.:huh:

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Colorado, Buffalo and Toronto all have significant defensive and/or goaltending deficincies that we were able to exploit. Washington had size, structure, and goaltending and were able to just shut us down. The Rangers, while struggling, are still more structured and disciplined than the first 3 teams we played. Plus we simply didn't execute well until an entire line got benched.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I used to go to MSG, tried to once a year. Haven't been there since February of 2011.

No one ever gave me a hard time, unless it was all in harmless fun. I used to be pretty big back then, and was much more intimidating looking haha.

I never had problems in Philly either.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

You're flat wrong on 1 and 2 because the league doesn't allow you to call timeouts after icings anymore. And eventually Nico's gotta hit the ice down the stretch when only three centers are playing.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016

Well you wouldn't be so pissed if you actually knew the rules of the game and Nico is our smartest center so I'd have him out there over Coleman and Zacha as well.

Taylor Hall has been my biggest disappointment so far in this young season. He just looks sloppy and tries to do everything on his own. I'm expecting great things from someone who's supposed to be part of the elite at his position and I'm not seeing that offensively and certainly not defensively.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
xUdQNAN.gif

I'm sure Mojo will turn it around.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Have to eat crow when it comes too Greene. He's been fantastic, however, he'll be burnt out by the second half if they keep playing him for 25 minutes per game.
He won't. He's only averaging 20:22 per game through 5 games.
Andy Greene has quietly had a fantastic 5 games. He looks as solid as ever. I was worried he’d continue declining after a down year last season.
Yea he's been great to start the season here.

Team Concept

Jul 11, 2002
Wingdale, New York
Watched the Ranger telecast last night at 11 to see what Zacha and MoJo did to warrant the benching. Zacha never saw the ice after taking the offensive zone slashing penalty. So 2 nights in a row he took a penalty in the offensive zone. Benching justified. I also thought he could been more aggressive in the defensive zone in trying to get the puck from the Rangers.

MoJo never saw the ice again after taking that check on the offside coming into the Rangers zone. Maybe Hynes wanted to see more fight out of him. After he takes the check from McDonagh he simply holds his head (helmet) instead of shoving the Ranger player or talking trash. Maybe he just wanted to see more fight out of him in a rivalry game.

In regard to Hayes I didn't see anything noticable. It was just Hayes being Hayes. Slow and plodding and goes to the net when we enter the offensive zone.

DerekDevils30

Feb 2, 2007
Manitoba
Was unable to catch the game. Beating the Rangers at MSG? AWESOME!

I really don't care if they played poorly. Everyone and their mother has the Devils missing the playoffs this season. There will be many bumps in the road.

It seems as though this team has a very good goaltending tandem. It's so nice to see Kinkaid coming in and doing work. He's a solid backup.

Will watch the game later but how did Hischier, Bratt, Butcher, Severson, Santini look?

Reactions: Feed Me A Stray Cat
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad