Post-Game Talk: devs beat rags

Status
Not open for further replies.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Missed the Nash elbow till now. He better get suspended.

I dont think it's suspension-worthy, but how it wasn't judged a double-minor is completely beyond me.

I missed the game, but watching highlights and reading this thread it sounds like we got our asses kicked and we only won because of the fourth line, Kinkaid, and LOLPavelec?

Kinky kept the Devils in the game in the 1st period, it could have been over after the 1st ten minutes as the Rangers came out flying and the Devils were flat.

The Devils were meh for chunks of this game, and played pretty well for other chunks of the game. I'm not worried as this was a 3 in 4 for the Devils and it was not for the Rangers.

If I was a Ranger fan, I'd be worried, however, as they do not look like a playoff team to me.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
babysteps_book_cover.jpg

JK3

Go Easy-Step Lightly-Stay Free
Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
Just watched the highlights again. Gibbons had a great sequence on Henrique's goal. Caused a turnover, corralled the puck and made a slick little backhand feed to Rico. Was not expecting anything from this guy at all but he's been pretty good so far.

Reactions: Satans Hockey

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Just watched the highlights again. Gibbons had a great sequence on Henrique's goal. Caused a turnover, corralled the puck and made a slick little backhand feed to Rico. Was not expecting anything from this guy at all but he's been pretty good so far.
I understood why we kept him after the preseason, he fit a need that that team had, but he's blown me away really. Much better at 5on5 than I was expecting.

Reactions: JK3

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
there is literally discussion about trading him in this thread.

Discussion = one two-sentence post question that got one one-line response. It's not like a fifty-post tangent. I had to look through the thread a second time just to see the response, you have rabbit ears.

Overreacting to a two-post discussion of three lines is a bit over the top. Literally all of the other talk about Zacha has been about last night and whether he should be the 1C.

Last edited:

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore
If I was a Ranger fan, I'd be worried, however, as they do not look like a playoff team to me.

Half their team had career highs in shooting percentage last year. It seemed Grabner was shooting at a soccer net at times. They have to come back to earth.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
I haven’t loved their play the last two games (except for period 2 last game) but it’s really important to remember they’re missing two really important centers. Zajac and Boyle would greatly improve probably the biggest issue on the team, the PK. The fact that they’re even staying afloat without them is pretty amazing. I do wonder what happens to Coleman when Boyle is back though. Maybe move him to wing? And Gibbons has probably been the best player on the team lmao. He isn’t going anywhere if he keeps playing anything like this.

With Boyle back maybe try this to spread the wealth:

Hall - Nico - Stafford
MoJo - Zacha - Palmieri
Wood- Rico - Bratt
Coleman - Boyle - Gibbons

With both Boyle and Zajac maybe:

Hall - Nico - Stafford
MoJo - Zajac - Palmieri
Rico - Zacha- Bratt
Wood - Boyle - Gibbons/Coleman

Reactions: NjDevsRR

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
Greene is our #1, so there's going to be games when the score is close and he's going to play north of 22 minutes. That's not abnormal. If it's every games, I'd worry. In a close game, where we weren't playing our best, it makes sense.

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Half their team had career highs in shooting percentage last year. It seemed Grabner was shooting at a soccer net at times. They have to come back to earth.

IMO, it's even worse than that. In addition to your thoughts about a number of Rangers having statistically good years that were likely better than their mean, I'd add these:

1) Lundqvist is on the decline, pushing 36 and had an off year last year and not off to a great start this season.
2) They've mortgaged a TON of their high'ish draft picks over the years to "win now", but didn't win now, hurting their future.
3) They have < $2M in cap space, so aint no help coming that route either

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Discussion = one two-sentence post question that got one one-line response. It's not like a fifty-post tangent. I had to look through the thread a second time just to see the response, you have rabbit ears.

Overreacting to a two-post discussion of three lines is a bit over the top. Literally all of the other talk about Zacha has been about last night and whether he should be the 1C.

the fact that anyone actually has the opinion he should be moved is scary to me, but alrighty then!

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
I just got done finishing the game, I had something else to do last night and went in full shutdown mode with the phone so it was never spoiled for me, just an awesome win especially after that horrible first period.

Butcher has just been ridiculously good, they better start selling some player t shirts for him at the arena, this kid seems legit.

Kinkaid was on point tonight and he definitely earned himself a game next week in one of the back to backs.

Tuesday can't get here quick enough, this has been so much fun so far.

Also, **** the Rangers!

Kink had himself a game.
He was in control and made a lot of tough saves.
I'm happy for him and hope he can continue this solid netminding.

We can't have him play like he didn't last season.

Sux Shattenkirk scored but I'll take a regulation 2 points over them everyday.

Reactions: Satans Hockey

Beetlebum

Oct 14, 2017
A lot of the fanbase is rather irrational right now. I see a lot of issues that are being glossed over due to our win/lost record. The way we are playing is unsustainable, and mirrors that of a Toronto Leafs team from a few years ago that was repeatedly hemorrhaging shots on goals, but winning anyway. Hopefully, the defense tightens up, our positioning improves, and we stop taking penalties.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
the fact that anyone actually has the opinion he should be moved is scary to me, but alrighty then!

The only thing that would make sense would be a Johansen for Jones type of deal. With all the depth we have down the middle, it wouldn't hurt us and drastically improve our weakest position.

Not advocating to move him, just saying that there is some type of logic if we did such a move.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
BTW, looked like a good amount of Devils fans there last night.

Last few seasons, not much NJD fan presence over there.

The late 90s through around 2006 we used to get a few thousand of our fans repping at MSG.

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Interesting.

I was curious exactly when Zacha was benched, and his last shift was right before the Rangers goal. He didnt play a single shift after that, the last 34:30 of the game. Doghouse.

2hf2vrt.jpg

Last edited:

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I'm not sure Boyle would be an improvement over Coleman at this point. The Devils have pretty consistently put the 4th line out after a goal against and they have generated momentum every time. They have been fantastic as line and Coleman has been the catalyst for most of it.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Interesting.

I was curious exactly when Zacha was benched, and his last shift in the game was right before the Rangers goal. He didnt play a single shift after that, the last 34:30 of the game. Doghouse.

2hf2vrt.jpg

that entire line got benched essentially. they only played 3 lines for most of the 2nd and 3rd period. it worked though.

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
that entire line got benched essentially. they only played 3 lines for most of the 2nd and 3rd period. it worked though.

Yes, their, "done for the night times", are similar. Looking at the below:

Zacha done at 25:30
Hayes done at 29:10
MoJo done at 29:50

It seems to me Hynes' thought process is that he first decided to bench Zacha, and a few minutes later said, "screw it, I'm sitting them all".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad