Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - offseason part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bcap88

Ruff season that’s for sure
Aug 12, 2011
Chicago
Rather have Johnny and not fiala a forward core of jack,nico,bratt,mercer,holtz,slaf and Johnny, sharangovich is pretty dam good.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
I don't think paying out the nose for Gaudreau would be the best idea, but if we did, I'm certainly not going to complain.
Yes I agree. I don’t thnk it is the smartest and best way to move forward , njt I would t be too upset about adding a play driving elite winger .
It could end up handcuffing us long term , plus I don’t think he is a perfect fit for our roster , but adding a 100+ point player is never really a bad thing.
If we signed him plus able to a goalie and RHD replacement for Subban plus a player like Neiderrier… I’d be “okay” with it

Rather have Johnny and not fiala a forward core of jack,nico,bratt,mercer,holtz,slaf and Johnny, sharangovich is pretty dam good.
Yes. Plus we won’t have to trade anything for Johnny, keep pick #2 for sure and draft Slafkovsky still. Maybe then we can trade Shara or Holtz (not sure who I’d rather move. Hotlz is a needed right handed shot that can finish) trade them for a heavier forward or goalie.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
but who is playing goalie? I just think we are putting the cart ahead of the horse until that is sorted out.
E405BA4C-6772-4B86-A88E-299D7F0D410B.jpeg

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Gaudreau-Nico-Mercer
Sharangovich-Jack-Bratt

I could get used to that. With Slafkovsky jumping in when he’s ready.

And then likely Tatar-Boqvist-Holtz and Wood-McLeod-Bastian.

With guys like Zetterlund, Foote, and Thompson in line for time. You mentioned Slafkovsky.

There is plenty of fat to trim this summer. The Johnssons and Kuokkanens... I'd even put Tatar in that conversation.

Comparison Ford

i got a star
Sponsor
May 25, 2008
LA

With guys like Zetterlund, Foote, and Thompson in line for time. You mentioned Slafkovsky.

There is plenty of fat to trim this summer. The Johnssons and Kuokkanens... I'd even put Tatar in that conversation.
cant stress this enough, if McLeod is our fourth line center / on this team we will not make the playoffs

Reactions: Sgt Brylin

ChicksDigTheTrap

No quick fixes, no cutting corners and no cheating
Sep 16, 2018
Springsteen Country

IMO Zetterlund has a spot to lose. Fitz commented on how he took advantage of his call up at the season ending presser. I would rather start Holtz in the A than play him on that line.

Ristolainen- 5 years
McCann- 5 years
Fabbri- 3 years
Whitecloud- 6 years
Ekholm- 4 years
Q Hughes- 6 years
Petterson- 3 years
Dahlin- 3 years
Kaprizov- 5 years
Beauvillier, Sorokin- 3 years
Palmieri- 4 years
Saros- 4 years
Reinhart- 3 years
Vrana- 3 years
Shesterkin- 4 years
Werenski- 6 years
Grubaeur- 6 years
Coleman- 6 years

and more. Not every player signs max deals lol

Hamilton and Hyman were the only players in the league signed to 7 year deals by new teams in free agency.
Your list is a lot of RFA's. Johnny Hockey is a UFA signing his last big contract - no comparison to most of your list

Reactions: My3Sons

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
Ristolainen- 5 years
McCann- 5 years
Fabbri- 3 years
Whitecloud- 6 years
Ekholm- 4 years
Q Hughes- 6 years
Petterson- 3 years
Dahlin- 3 years
Kaprizov- 5 years
Palmieri- 4 years
Saros- 4 years
Reinhart- 3 years
Vrana- 3 years
Shesterkin- 4 years
Werenski- 6 years
Grubaeur- 6 years
Coleman- 6 years

Hamilton and Hyman were the only players in the league signed to 7 year deals by new teams in free agency.
TJose are bridge deals for the most part with them just coming off their ELC deals…..
At younger ages in most cases and none are similar to Johnny G , more complimentary players , not perennial all stars .
The list means Jack shit.
Johhny is either signing for 8 years in Calgary or 7 years elsewhere. 100% . Never signing a 5 year . Ever. Ever never .

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

McDuffz88

HIRE BERUBE!!!
Sep 18, 2019
Yeah I'm aboard the Johnny Hockey train. My ideal scenario for off season would be A) Draft Slafkovsky B) Sign Johnny Hockey C) Sign Campbell D) Trade Zacha/Johnsson/Tatar/Ty Smith for whatever we can get E) Sign a player for the 3rd line (Center or Wing). If a center then make Boqvist a winger, the team lineup would be
Sharangovich-Hughes-Mercer/Bratt
Johnny Hockey-Nico-Bratt/Mercer
New guy/Boqvist- New guy/Boqvist-Big Z
Wood-McLeod-Bastian
Siegs-Hamilton
Graves-Severson
3 way battle for 3LD/Subban or new guy

Comparison Ford

i got a star
Sponsor
May 25, 2008
LA
That is such a wonderfully odd take.

A 4th line center isn't making or breaking anything.

Wood-Mcleod-Bastian is an absolutely fine 4th line.
i’ll take the wonderfully odd take.

the man cannot pass or shoot to save his life. wood and bastian deserve someone way better.

Reactions: glenwo2

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
i’ll take the wonderfully odd take.

the man cannot pass or shoot to save his life. wood and bastian deserve someone way better.
I'd like to see NJ get someone to play 3C freeing up Boquist to be the 4C. He'd be the jack of all trades there that could slot up in a top six role for a few games if someone got hurt but should do a good job against bottom six competition as well. I think a 3C in the traditional sense is expected to carry more of a defensive burden and while Boquist seemed to be upping his game over the course of the season I think a bit less defensive responsibility would be helpful to him.

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
I'd like to see NJ get someone to play 3C freeing up Boquist to be the 4C. He'd be the jack of all trades there that could slot up in a top six role for a few games if someone got hurt but should do a good job against bottom six competition as well. I think a 3C in the traditional sense is expected to carry more of a defensive burden and while Boquist seemed to be upping his game over the course of the season I think a bit less defensive responsibility would be helpful to him.
I feel like this was extremely painful for you to type out start to finish while omitting the obvious. I just wanted to say, I'm proud of you.

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
Ristolainen- 5 years
McCann- 5 years
Fabbri- 3 years
Whitecloud- 6 years
Ekholm- 4 years
Q Hughes- 6 years
Petterson- 3 years
Dahlin- 3 years
Kaprizov- 5 years
Palmieri- 4 years
Saros- 4 years
Reinhart- 3 years
Vrana- 3 years
Shesterkin- 4 years
Werenski- 6 years
Grubaeur- 6 years
Coleman- 6 years

Congrats... you managed to list nearly 20 players and not have a single comparable to Gaudreau.

None of these players were UFA's and star players therefore they are not comparable to Gaudreau. If they could have gotten max term, they would have signed it.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
Yeah I'm aboard the Johnny Hockey train. My ideal scenario for off season would be A) Draft Slafkovsky B) Sign Johnny Hockey C) Sign Campbell D) Trade Zacha/Johnsson/Tatar/Ty Smith for whatever we can get E) Sign a player for the 3rd line (Center or Wing). If a center then make Boqvist a winger, the team lineup would be
Sharangovich-Hughes-Mercer/Bratt
Johnny Hockey-Nico-Bratt/Mercer
New guy/Boqvist- New guy/Boqvist-Big Z
Wood-McLeod-Bastian
Siegs-Hamilton
Graves-Severson
3 way battle for 3LD/Subban or new guy
Very close to my ideal off-season as well . But also want to trade Holtz for an established stud , just not sure who that is yet

swiiscompos

Dec 9, 2018
London, UK
I find it interesting that so many want to trade Holtz after a very good AHL season. If people think he has enough value to get us a stud (I have no idea, I haven't seen him play nearly enough), why would they not want to wait 1-2 more years for him to develop? After all we can probably use a player with a great shot in the future.

And if he doesn't have this value at the moment, then he won't get us a stud (or won't make much difference when paired with other pieces) and we should probably rather try to keep him and see if he can fix whatever issues he has, because one thing we know is that he's shot is as good as advertised.

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
I find it interesting that so many want to trade Holtz after a very good AHL season. If people think he has enough value to get us a stud (I have no idea, I haven't seen him play nearly enough), why would they not want to wait 1-2 more years for him to develop? After all we can probably use a player with a great shot in the future.

And if he doesn't have this value at the moment, then he won't get us a stud (or won't make much difference when paired with other pieces) and we should probably rather try to keep him and see if he can fix whatever issues he has, because one thing we know is that he's shot is as good as advertised.
100%. Kid has had an excellent first pro North American season. Sure, he has some things to work on, as do most prospects, but he brings a skillset we desperately need. I personally like him as a prospect and want to keep him for now unless a team grossly overpays.

Bcap88

Ruff season that’s for sure
Aug 12, 2011
Chicago

To be fair, I think people only want to trade holtz for a certified stud like tkachuk or Debrincat and not for a moderate upgrade

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
To be fair, I think people only want to trade holtz for a certified stud like tkachuk or Debrincat and not for a moderate upgrade
I think that’s the point. Holtz has basically been talked about as a middling prospect pretty often around here who more than likely won’t reach his potential. Why wouldn’t teams see that in him as well, and if they do, why would they give us an established player for him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad