Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - offseason part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buggsy

Sep 16, 2009
Halifax, NS
Actually I am... You are skipping straight to profit...Colorado hasn't sucked since the 2017 season....

Look at the assent it began in the 2018 season. It wasn't 9 year of drudgery toiling in the pigsty and then presto a cup....It was 3 bad years then 4 rising years to a cup.

2016-17 Out of Playoffs
2017-18 Lost in round 1 ---> Going Up!
2018-19 Lost in round 2
2019-20 Lost in round 3
2020-21 Lost in round 2
2021-22 Won Championship

There is ALWAYS a rising before real success and we haven't even got to the "Going Up Stage yet....8 freaking years later.
So you are counting from when Sakic took over instead of from when they drafted their star players?

The historically bad avalanche team which secured them Mackinnon had 1st overalls Erik Johnson and Matt Duchene on their team along with Landeskog.

There of course is a steady rise before a win. The problem is you are placing the avs timeline to Sakic instead of their star players. The better comparison would be better if you were comparing Sakics timeline to Fitz timeline.

That lines up better. We all know Sheros timeline went poorly.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Actually I am... You are skipping straight to profit...Colorado hasn't sucked since the 2017 season....

Look at the assent it began in the 2018 season. It wasn't 9 year of drudgery toiling in the pigsty and then presto a cup....It was 3 bad years then 4 rising years to a cup in the 5th year.

2016-17 Out of Playoffs
2018-19 Lost in round 2
2019-20 Lost in round 3
2020-21 Lost in round 2
2021-22 Won Championship

There is ALWAYS a rising before real success and we haven't even got to the "Going Up Stage yet....8 freaking years later.

lol @ 3 bad years, the Avs missed the playoffs and drafted 3rd overall in 2009. They finished last overall in 2017. That is 9 seasons of badness, yes, they had 2 playoff berths in there, yes one of them was somehow a 110+ point season, no it wasn't sustainable, and no it didn't result in anything meaningful.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ

Look at the assent it began in the 2018 season. It wasn't 9 year of drudgery toiling in the pigsty and then presto a cup....It was 3 bad years then 4 rising years to a cup in the 5th year.

2016-17 Out of Playoffs
2018-19 Lost in round 2
2019-20 Lost in round 3
2020-21 Lost in round 2
2021-22 Won Championship

Give any of those teams our goaltending situation this year and they’re winning absolutely nothing.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
So you are counting from when Sakic took over instead of from when they drafted their star players?

The historically bad avalanche team which secured them Mackinnon had 1st overalls Erik Johnson and Matt Duchene on their team along with Landeskog.

There of course is a steady rise before a win. The problem is you are placing the avs timeline to Sakic instead of their star players. The better comparison would be better if you were comparing Sakics timeline to Fitz timeline.

I was only considering how long they had to bad before they got good. I mean Colorado had 52 wins in 2014 under Roy before his meds ran out.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
lol @ 3 bad years, the Avs missed the playoffs and drafted 3rd overall in 2009. They finished last overall in 2017. That is 9 seasons of badness, yes, they had 2 playoff berths in there, yes one of them was somehow a 110+ point season, no it wasn't sustainable, and no it didn't result in anything meaningful.
Colorado was the 3rd best team in the League in 2014 with 52 wins and 112 points...

A team that can achieve 52 wins doesn't do it with smoke and mirrors.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Colorado was the 3rd best team in the League in 2014 with 52 wins and 112 points...

A team that can achieve 52 wins doesn't do it with smoke and mirrors.

Except that they absolutely did do it with smoke and mirrors, Varlamov played Vezina-level hockey and the team shot the lights out. They're the worst 112 point team in league history. A lot of that core would go on to be on the 47 point team 3 years later.

Reactions: Devs3cups

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA

the thing is the Devils' play overall improved last year. They put up respectable to good 5 on 5 numbers.

The problem is they had such horrific goaltending that it basically cancelled out anything else they did.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
And besides, it's just "preliminary conversations." Could be as simple as "can we talk extension when the season is over?"
The exit meeting discussion with him should have been “you’re not coming back.”

Even if he doesn’t comeback. It’s symbolic of their approach. They are basically willing to entertain the idea of wasting a roster spot. This isn’t a 21 or even 26 team league anymore. The margins are too thin to be wasting a spot on a guy to “entertain the crowd.” You got to be able to play…he can’t.

Buggsy

Sep 16, 2009
Halifax, NS
the thing is the Devils' play overall improved last year. They put up respectable to good 5 on 5 numbers.

The problem is they had such horrific goaltending that it basically cancelled out anything else they did.
I agree but I've lost the will to lists ifs and buts.

Time for the team to put up or shut up. No more part of the process.

goonybird

Young boy expert
Jul 9, 2015
Everything is judged in retrospect when you're too wasted to remember what happened in real time

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
can’t find it anymore , but I brought up the idea of trying to sign Nick Paul for 3C. Good idea or stick with Boqvist? Yes , first we need to get a goalie amd Subban replacement , but I feel we still need to almost revamp our entire third line and or add a top 6 winger. If the top 6 winger we add is a smaller skilled guy , we absolutely need to tweak the third line. Paul looks like he would be a good fit but I don’t know if there are better options out there that wouldn’t have playoff tax included in his next contract. Seems like every year GM‘s overpay a player comig off a good playoff run and they ignore the players regular season and prior play.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
Don't you mean "Not that hard she said"? :naughty:

horny-jail-bonk.gif

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
can’t find it anymore , but I brought up the idea of trying to sign Nick Paul for 3C. Good idea or stick with Boqvist? Yes , first we need to get a goalie amd Subban replacement , but I feel we still need to almost revamp our entire third line and or add a top 6 winger. If the top 6 winger we add is a smaller skilled guy , we absolutely need to tweak the third line. Paul looks like he would be a good fit but I don’t know if there are better options out there that wouldn’t have playoff tax included in his next contract. Seems like every year GM‘s overpay a player comig off a good playoff run and they ignore the players regular season and prior play.
I don't think he'll be worth the contract he's about to sign. Boqvist earned a shot with his play last year, and realistically his scoring pace wasn't much different from Paul's, despite Paul's 14pts in 21gp with Tampa after the trade.

Reactions: Devs3cups and HBK27

KovalchukFistPump

Too lazy to change username
Dec 24, 2008
California
What's the plan with Zacha? Re-sign him for cheap and then plan to flip him at the deadline at 50% retained? He was an absolute anchor for Nico's line this year and it was not a coincidence that Nico's production started taking off when he stopped playing with him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad