Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - offseason part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wierzbowski426

Nov 1, 2019
New Jersey
Luck is a factor as well. I am sure colorado will claim they were taking makar regardless (i dont believe them) but he was widely viewed as not the best player in that draft at the time.

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
A big thing with this Avs team is that they are a very good possession team. Even if you are not scoring, having the puck in the opposing zone for a longer duration adds up in terms of mitigating scoring chances against.

Adding a player like Slaf could help our team in that regard. Not sure we will be able to sign Nuke but having both these players could really make us a dangerous possession team. One or both of these players with Nico would seem like a great line from a possession standpoint.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
Not that hard he says!
of course its hard but the idea that there is some magic behind this or some type of blueprint to follow isn't. if your draft picks don't live up or exceed their draft position then you aren't going anywhere.

He also made excellent trades and Nuke was an excellent value signing.

Patience - no way. Signing big name UFA;s is a must:sarcasm:
i def agree with this too. you have your foundation in place that are exceeding their projections and then you add to that with help from the outside.

Goptor

Jun 30, 2016
I don't think much teams are willing to commit to a 15 year rebuild which is how they were able to accumulate so much talent.
They kept trading talented players they drafted for younger players/picks until eventually they accumulated so much talent that could overcome poor coaching and management decisions.

Erik Johnson is the only player that stayed long enough to the point his value started to diminish.

Reactions: glenwo2 and My3Sons

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
They also lucked into MacKinnon signing that contract right after a couple 'poor' seasons.

EDIT: They also didn't draft either of their two goalies
the first part the devils pretty much copied. both hischier and hughes signed long term contract, which can turn into great value contracts.

looking at the goalies in the organization the second part could become true, if the devils become competitive.

goonybird

Young boy expert
Jul 9, 2015
When it comes to UFA forwards we tend to lean on the Ryder, Parenteau, Stempniak, Stafford, Simmonds, and Tatars of the world.

I predict we sign *spins the wheel*

Paul Stastny! Dream fulfilled!

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
I don't think much teams are willing to commit to a 15 year rebuild which is how they were able to accumulate so much talent.
They kept trading talented players they drafted for younger players/picks until eventually they accumulated so much talent that could overcome poor coaching and management decisions.

Erik Johnson is the only player that stayed long enough to the point his value started to diminish.

This is not what happened. The Avs had 95 points each year coming out of the 2005 lockout, then they nosedived (nosedove?) in 2009, had an absolute fluke 2010, and were back to garbage in 2011. They again had an absurdly lucky 2014, but in the 10s decade they were basically bad every year up until 2018. It was not a 15 year rebuild, they were largely bad from 2009-2017, but not always, and made some poor moves considering. Like the Devils, they walked into the rebuild with almost nothing - Sakic and Hedjuk retired as Avs, they didn't have a 1st round pick in 2008, etc. They also have decidedly not hit on all of their draft picks - there's Connor Bleakley and Tyson Jost in recent 1st rounds.

When it comes to UFA forwards we tend to lean on the Ryder, Parenteau, Stempniak, Stafford, Simmonds, and Tatars of the world.

I predict we sign *spins the wheel*

Paul Stastny! Dream fulfilled!

The Devils never signed Parenteau, and also this is everybody. This is what UFA forwards are. They're middle-six forwards and worse. If you ask a knowledgeable Rangers fan, they won't talk about Panarin and Gaborik, they'll talk about Kotalik and Goodrow.

Last edited:
Reactions: Guttersniped

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I still think Elias will get into the hall in a year where they don't have enough people to induct.

It could be 10-15 years from now.

Unless they pull a Guy Carbonneau or Kevin Lowe and induct the next random Canadiens or Oilers non-HOF caliber player they can think of. Like Adam Graves or some shit.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
of course its hard but the idea that there is some magic behind this or some type of blueprint to follow isn't. if your draft picks don't live up or exceed their draft position then you aren't going anywhere.

i def agree with this too. you have your foundation in place that are exceeding their projections and then you add to that with help from the outside.
it's not enough to have your own drat picks to develop.

sakic was extremely patient. he accumulated assets, held on to cap space and traded effective players away, when the return was right. toews was an addition by trade enabled by cap space. he picked up kadri for a barrie, which looks in hind-sight lopsided in colorado's favour. he also didn't suddenly change the script, when the first few playoff runs ended early.

i hope devils fans pay attention.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
I still think Elias will get into the hall in a year where they don't have enough people to induct.

It could be 10-15 years from now.

Unless they pull a Guy Carbonneau or Kevin Lowe and induct the next random Canadiens or Oilers non-HOF caliber player they can think of. Like Adam Graves or some shit.

right there in itself is why he shouldn't get it if you have to squeak in. i'm not against him getting in but i just think too many players get in and its really stupid they have a hall class every year to me it cheapens it. player x isn't good enough to get in against "great players" but maybe he can get in when there aren't any on the ballot?

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
While Sakic did a great job to build the Avs, I would suggest that he should have gone all in on winning at the same time TB did. Colorado has a slew of guys hitting UFA and their best players are starting to get paid, and it will be tough to run it back next year. If Colorado hadn't won it this season they might have missed their window entirely.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
right there in itself is why he shouldn't get it if you have to squeak in. i'm not against him getting in but i just think too many players get in and its really stupid they have a hall class every year to me it cheapens it. player x isn't good enough to get in against "great players" but maybe he can get in when there aren't any on the ballot?
I think it's fine to have a class every year, but they definitely put more people in than they used to and some of the names that go in are beyond questionable.

The only HOF that should feature Kevin Lowe is one for the worst hockey/sports management people of all time.

Guy Carbonneau is no more worthy of the HOF than Bobby Holik.

Reactions: nugg

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
While Sakic did a great job to build the Avs, I would suggest that he should have gone all in on winning at the same time TB did. Colorado has a slew of guys hitting UFA and their best players are starting to get paid, and it will be tough to run it back next year. If Colorado hadn't won it this season they might have missed their window entirely.

Disagree entirely, they have smart management and their best guys are locked up, and they have plenty of cap room to replace some of the guys they will lose. They won't be as good next year, but they don't have to be. They lost 4 playoff games and were controlling 60% of the shots, there's a lot of room underneath that for 'still winning the Cup anyway'.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I don't know, I could see them back next year. I actually do think they'll come out of the west next year. In fact, I thought even if Tampa won this finals, Colorado would be back next year and that this could even be the first of three straight finals for them. I don't think Tampa will be back next year. I'm not saying they'll definitely be going out in the first round, but I don't think they're gonna be in the finals again next year, but I could see them going back again in 2024.

Kadri probably won't be back. Kuemper almost definitely won't be back, but he didn't do much of anything to help them this cup. They could have probably won the cup with just about any goalie to get on the ice at all in this year's playoffs outside of Louis Domingue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad