Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - 2023 offseason part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
AHL guys don't always play.

If you're not sure, check the Friday, Saturday and Sunday night schedule...most AHL teams play those three nights in a row.... occasionally a Saturday through Monday...a lot of ansillary players play only the third game or one of the 3 randomly.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
I downloaded Mozilla like @Nubmer6 suggested. It'll do, but it could be better. It sort of runs like close to old school dial up levels of internet. I had to download an old version because the current version is not supported by windows 8, which is what I have.
Load Brave. It's based on Chrome, bit with more privacy option you can shut off if you want. Works the same though.

Reactions: Bleedred

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
Keep Nemec and Luke away from the Prsopect Tournament. The teams that participate have many NHL longshots. The last thing we need is one of them try to get noticed by getting one of our guys with a borderline cheap shot. I feel like maybe it was last years that got way to out of hand at some point in 1 of the 3 games.

Even without guys like Nemec or Hughes playing it wiill bee fun watching Filmon. Vilen , Misyul , Brennan , Stillman , etc. It's always a great way to get back into the swing of hockey season. They really need to have better quality for the video though. They are always low quality and it's hard to make out the players numbers.

Reactions: Darkauron

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Yeah, I think Nemec may actually play. Luke, not so much.

Yup. Luke played last year and in the playoffs and then wasn't at dev camp. Be shocked if he goes. Nemec was at dev camp so I'd expect him to play.

Buffalo has done a great job adding talented prospects.

Buffalo is annoyingly deep with really good prospects. You could split their prospect pool in half and they'd still be solid pools

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Yup. Luke played last year and in the playoffs and then wasn't at dev camp. Be shocked if he goes. Nemec was at dev camp so I'd expect him to play.

Buffalo is annoyingly deep with really good prospects. You could split their prospect pool in half and they'd still be solid pools
Their defensive prospect pool isnt as strong as our. May be, some day, we will see the trade between our teams. Their offensive prospect pool is huge. They could make two strong teams with what they have in NHL with all of their prospects.

Reactions: My3Sons

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Their defensive prospect pool isnt as strong as our. May be, some day, we will see the trade between our teams. Their offensive prospect pool is huge. They could make two strong teams with what they have in NHL with all of their prospects.

Ultimately the prospect pool is self limiting. Buffalo has signed Thompson and Cozens and Skinner and will sign Dahlin and Power and assuming Levi hits they likely sign him. Maybe all the contracts are decent value and they can add an additional player but thr cap only allows for so many players to get paid and more importantly there are only so many prime opportunities on a team. If NJ had four great center prospects we’d be happy but only one would stay if all of them panned out. The trick for Buffalo will be knowing who to keep and when to trade for their version of Timo.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Keep Nemec and Luke away from the Prsopect Tournament. The teams that participate have many NHL longshots. The last thing we need is one of them try to get noticed by getting one of our guys with a borderline cheap shot. I feel like maybe it was last years that got way to out of hand at some point in 1 of the 3 games.

Even without guys like Nemec or Hughes playing it wiill bee fun watching Filmon. Vilen , Misyul , Brennan , Stillman , etc. It's always a great way to get back into the swing of hockey season. They really need to have better quality for the video though. They are always low quality and it's hard to make out the players numbers.
I’m not entirely sure if I agree on the precedent of keeping these players out of the prospect camps. I understood development camp, especially since they wanted these players to focus on making the. NHL team.

Anything more than that and I feel like puts them up on a pedestal vs the rest of the players with special treatment.

You could always sit them out or not play them in games if you’re worried. I definitely think they should be reporting to camp with the rest of the prospects and also going to the prospects challenge regardless.

Reactions: Guttersniped

Camille the Eel

Should be an interesting training camp with lots of competition for the open spots.

Rookies report the day after tomorrow according to what I found on line. Can this be right ? Veterans, full training camp roster, a week from Wednesday.

It’s here folks. Off-season is ending. Finally there will be something to talk about that’s less speculative. Not that speculation isn’t fun. Only inconclusive by its definition.

amikaro

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2015
They got Power-Dahlin ... not propects anymore but part of the core they build around. With Strabak/Johnson they may land a top4 d. Enough to build around for years to come.

I see Buffalo as a future power house if they manage to leverage half of their prospects.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ

The D definitely needs some work but I also just think it just doesn't matter like at all. They've got the 2 pillars on the backend and they're both 23 or younger. I'm not as high on Samuelsson as some are but maybe he does become that Siegs/Marino type. They're also so insanely deep up front they could acquire 2 legit top 4 D and not even feel it.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Ultimately the prospect pool is self limiting. Buffalo has signed Thompson and Cozens and Skinner and will sign Dahlin and Power and assuming Levi hits they likely sign him. Maybe all the contracts are decent value and they can add an additional player but thr cap only allows for so many players to get paid and more importantly there are only so many prime opportunities on a team. If NJ had four great center prospects we’d be happy but only one would stay if all of them panned out. The trick for Buffalo will be knowing who to keep and when to trade for their version of Timo.
Well they've already got Tage on one of the best deals in the league and the Cozens one is going to look great too so that helps. They might run into some contract issues but that's like 3/4 years down the line. In 24-25 they could have a middle 6 with like 5 guys on their ELCs with Quinn, Peterka, Krebs, Savoie, Benson. That's going to be huge. Maybe move an Ostlund or Rosen for a top 4D. Then I'd be tossing Nylander all of the money on a short term deal.

My3Sons

Sponsor
Well they've already got Tage on one of the best deals in the league and the Cozens one is going to look great too so that helps. They might run into some contract issues but that's like 3/4 years down the line. In 24-25 they could have a middle 6 with like 5 guys on their ELCs with Quinn, Peterka, Krebs, Savoie, Benson. That's going to be huge. Maybe move an Ostlund or Rosen for a top 4D. Then I'd be tossing Nylander all of the money on a short term deal.

They will have a very talented lineup and while they should do well cap wise it’s hard to pay guys once the ELC expires if they have success. I guess you can bridge guys at this point if you are Buffalo since you have your core and are supplementing with complementary players, albeit good ones. I’ll be curious who sublimates themselves to play the defensive checking PK roles at forward with so much offensive skill in the pipeline.

Reactions: Hisch13r

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
They will have a very talented lineup and while they should do well cap wise it’s hard to pay guys once the ELC expires if they have success. I guess you can bridge guys at this point if you are Buffalo since you have your core and are supplementing with complementary players, albeit good ones. I’ll be curious who sublimates themselves to play the defensive checking PK roles at forward with so much offensive skill in the pipeline.

Krebs and Cozens seem like easy bets for some PK roles. Benson's also pretty good defensively

Reactions: Guadana and My3Sons

My3Sons

Sponsor
Krebs and Cozens seem like easy bets for some PK roles. Benson's also pretty good defensively
Like NJ they will have to dovetail their developing offensive skill with a bigger commitment to two way play coupled with learning how to get through the slog of clutch and grab that develops as the games get more important. Presumably they have a big jump this season if Levi hits for them. If not, they are still probably a wildcard team.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Like NJ they will have to dovetail their developing offensive skill with a bigger commitment to two way play coupled with learning how to get through the slog of clutch and grab that develops as the games get more important. Presumably they have a big jump this season if Levi hits for them. If not, they are still probably a wildcard team.

Devils forwards are definitely more well rounded. Sabres team as a whole played next to no defense last year

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
this convo seems @sabremike worthy
FB_IMG_1694031299439.jpg

"Sup???"

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Buffalo still needs a few Haula's and Marino's. Some quality vets to come in and help take a bit of the pressure off their young players.

They are a little weird because their quality and quantity are fine, but nowhere close to the actual production we saw last year. Their finishing was stupid crazy bonkers last season.

I thought for sure they would sign Tatar, he would be perfect for that group. Veteran, play driver, can move up and down the lineup.

Krebs is the weird one, I like him when I watch him play be he seems to be in the coach's doghouse more often than not.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Buffalo still needs a few Haula's and Marino's. Some quality vets to come in and help take a bit of the pressure off their young players.

They are a little weird because their quality and quantity are fine, but nowhere close to the actual production we saw last year. Their finishing was stupid crazy bonkers last season.

I thought for sure they would sign Tatar, he would be perfect for that group. Veteran, play driver, can move up and down the lineup.

Krebs is the weird one, I like him when I watch him play be he seems to be in the coach's doghouse more often than not.

Tatar made so much sense for both Ottawa and Buffalo. Pesce to the Sabres also makes so much sense.

Louskoolaid89

We're back!
Oct 14, 2017
Devils v.s Sabres is a sexy matchup. Just a few years ago it was trash v.s Shit. It pays off as a fan to hang in there and trust the mother f***ing process! No pain no gain. Buffalo should win more home games this year. I got them making the dance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad