Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - 2023 offseason part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Others here may disagree (and I don't care) but for the me, that Rangers series was my Stanley Cup. :)
After the previous 10 years of no success any little bit we got was going to feel good. Reminds me of the Eddie Murphy "Ritz cracker" bit he did way back..."best damn cracker I ever had".. But beating the rangers is always extra special.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011

The Hockey Guy picking us to win the Cup, which pretty much guarantees we will! :nod: He has a nice channel, I encourage anyone to check it out!

I watch almost all of his videos, other than his live streams cause they’re kind of long. I’m watching a couple of his new videos from today right now.

But he’s a little too hockey politically correct, which so are most members of the actual hockey media. Lately he’s been going on about Arizona and I guess after enough people called him out on it, he made a whole video about it. It started when he did his own personal rankings of best run organizations 1-32 (he did his own after the one the athletic put out) and had Arizona somewhere that wasn’t even in the bottom-12 of worst run. I forget where he had them but in the top-20 I’m pretty sure. His reasoning was he was talking about the shape the organization was in on the ice and he thought management (not necessarily ownership) was doing a good job. He did emphasize he wasn’t factoring in the uncertain future of the team in Arizona.

But he’s went out of his way to compliment Arizona a lot in the last couple of weeks and yesterday or the day before he was talking about somebody and then ending up in Arizona potentially on an “Already very good roster” and I was like “WHAT?! No one would call Arizona very good. If they’re very good then how many teams in the league aren’t very good? 5 or 6?” and I’m convinced he threw that in there just to troll the people calling him out for pumping up Arizona.

Anyway, he’s great. This is why I could never do this. I’m gonna trash Arizona and tell you they aren’t very good and they’re a dirty poverty (and “money laundering” lol) organization. I’d probably pump the brakes a little, so not to alienate my Arizona followers, but I wouldn’t be as favorable towards them as him. He’s also said multiple times the last couple years that Martin Jones hasn’t been that bad like his numbers would suggest lol.

Anyway, I’m pointing out his negatives more than positives, which astronomically outweigh the negatives.

I really appreciate Shannon and watch his videos every day. He (as well as this forum obviously) provides me with a hockey outlet every day in the off-season, which is very important. And he’s earned all of this success with that channel in being able to do that as his job now. I’m envious of that, but psyched for him. As this forum can attest, I just don’t have the same personality he does for me to be able to successfully pull off what he does.

Since I’m close to his age, I do enjoy his player career videos for players long since retired that I remember as a kid. Some names are a little more obscure, but guys I remember as a kid. Yesterday he did Rod Langway (who definitely isn’t an obscure one). Those are always fun.

Last edited:

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
And now that I’ve brought up Rod Langway (in form with our other off-season and Devils of past talk), he was teammates with Scott Stevens for 8 years. The first 8 years of his career.

I don’t remember him talking much about Langway, but he must have had an influence on him. Stevens post-1994 was definitely much more of a Rod Langway type of defenseman (though he still scored at a greater rate than Langway) than he was pre-1994 when he racked up a pretty good amount of points. Langway wasn’t as physical as Scott Stevens, but he definitely had that physical presence. Wasn’t as feared as Stevens though.

It’s just cool how they played together for basically the first third of his career and Stevens became less of an offensive machine in his 30’s (Langway never was) and was more of a defensive defenseman which Langway made an entire career out of.

Reactions: Guadana and My3Sons

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
I watch almost all of his videos, other than his live streams cause they’re kind of long. I’m watching a couple of his new videos from today right now.

But he’s a little too hockey politically correct, which so are most members of the actual hockey media. Lately he’s been going on about Arizona and I guess after enough people called him out on it, he made a whole video about it. It started when he did his own personal rankings of best run organizations 1-32 (he did his own after the one the athletic put out) and had Arizona somewhere that wasn’t even in the bottom-12 of worst run. I forget where he had them but in the top-20 I’m pretty sure. His reasoning was he was talking about the shape the organization was in on the ice and he thought management (not necessarily ownership) was doing a good job. He did emphasize he wasn’t factoring in the uncertain future of the team in Arizona.

But he’s went out of his way to compliment Arizona a lot in the last couple of weeks and yesterday or the day before he was talking about somebody and then ending up in Arizona potentially on an “Already very good roster” and I was like “WHAT?! No one would call Arizona very good. If they’re very good then how many teams in the league aren’t very good? 5 or 6?” and I’m convinced he threw that in there just to troll the people calling him out for pumping up Arizona.

Anyway, he’s great. This is why I could never do this. I’m gonna trash Arizona and tell you they aren’t very good and they’re a dirty poverty (and “money laundering” lol) organization. I’d probably pump the brakes a little, so not to alienate my Arizona followers, but I wouldn’t be as favorable towards them as him. He’s also said multiple times the last couple years that Martin Jones hasn’t been that bad like his numbers would suggest lol.

Anyway, I’m pointing out his negatives more than positives, which astronomically outweigh the negatives.

I really appreciate Shannon and watch his videos every day. He (as well as this forum obviously) provides me with a hockey outlet every day in the off-season, which is very important. And he’s earned all of this success with that channel in being able to do that as his job now. I’m envious of that, but psyched for him. As this forum can attest, I just don’t have the same personality he does for me to be able to successfully pull off what he does.

Since I’m close to his age, I do enjoy his player career videos for players long since retired that I remember as a kid. Some names are a little more obscure, but guys I remember as a kid. Yesterday he did Rod Langway (who definitely isn’t an obscure one). Those are always fun.
Looks like you got Hf working on your desktop.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
And while we’re talking about YouTubers Graviteh is another guy I’ve watched a bit. He doesn’t have as much content like 4 or 5 videos daily like the hockey guy, but he also predicted us to win the cup this year in a video he did a couple months ago where he made predictions for the entire standings and playoffs. He had us beating Edmonton in the finals and he’s really high on us.

He doesn’t have the quantity of content Shannon puts out, but he’s a pretty young guy and probably has other things going on. I thought I’d give him a plug. He’s pretty high on us. I think he even had us winning the Metro on our way to winning the cup and was gushing about how high he was on our team.

Looks like you got Hf working on your desktop.
Nope! I’m neglecting a bunch of tacos and other stuff I got to eat, spending too much time typing on my phone lol.

My only option other than to wait out and hope it randomly fixes itself like last time is to download another browser. With how old this thing is, I’m afraid that could be like dropping a nuke haha.

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
Anyone see the rosters or invites to the prospects challenge in Buffalo this year. Can’t find this years team and want to know if it’s worth my time and money. Thanks

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
Anyone have any experience with FuboTV? i got the trial and am considering cancelling FIOS. Does Fubo carry all the devils games?

FuboTV is good for what it is, which is having all the MSG channels as well as ESPN and NHL Network. The issue you’ll run into is that they don’t carry TBS or TNT so you’d miss out on those games.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
This isn't exactly NJ related but there are a couple of NJ references... anyway I thought this was a cool video.

On what planet does a human being run 7 mph? Decent human running is about 18-19 mph. Various pro athletes can run faster than 20 mph for short bursts in a straight line. That raises the second issue I think the video short changed. Lots of apples to oranges comparisons in the video. Different methods and distances are all considered the same thing according to the narration. Usain Bolt may have run some 400s but it was in the 100 where he turned into a superhero. Similarly the one time they did it Paul Coffey beat everyone in one single straight end to end race and I saw him do that once against the Islanders from the third row. He skated right in front of me up the boards and it was mind boggling. Even more impressive than anything I’ve seen from Miles Wood or Jack. The video focuses more on what would be a 400 or 800 type of race where McDavid and the others do laps around the rink. I’d like to see a straight line race from blue line to blue line. Thr NHL equivalent of a 40.. That would be interesting. Thanks for sharing that video. Really a great watch.

Last edited:
Reactions: Guadana

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Anyone see the rosters or invites to the prospects challenge in Buffalo this year. Can’t find this years team and want to know if it’s worth my time and money. Thanks

These are typically not released until very close to the tournament. We haven't even reached the point in rookie camp where people get indignant about them not posting the roster yet.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
we are less than a week away.
Usually the rosters don’t come out until like the day before or maybe even the day guys report. We could see something sooner, but I wouldn’t expect to know any sooner than Tuesday or Wednesday.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Severson did have very soft minutes last season, mainly because Graves/Marino played absolutely brutal shutdown minutes. That one pair did most of the heavy lifting so Graves is harder to replace. It’s pretty basic, it’s harder to play against top players.

From Dobber’s Frozen Tools

509FC92C-7EDD-4C58-BF1D-27A2B57A9CB5.jpeg

D6424783-F720-40E8-A5E7-1CCEE36FBD65.jpeg

A54F26F7-1879-4A37-97D4-51F78FE82748.jpeg

Now you might notice that Severson has good results on these charts even with tougher minutes but this is Corsi.

That’s the thing about Severson, he’s typically had strong metrics and not very good actual results.

Expected
3D1DE9B8-BA03-494D-A05F-72DB5CFBDB25.png

actual results
39699E9F-1C64-45DA-B5C4-9BE386CFFC9A.png

He’s wildly underperformed his xGF% for most of his career. It’s kind of amazing, you just don’t see a player do that year after year like this.
24032B5B-92BA-4343-AD83-B7EE8AF7AD64.jpeg

A lot of people noticed, this fanbase just hates Severson because he was our 1D in our worst era of hockey. He's gonna do great in CBJ for the first 3-4 years, just the term is very very bad considering we have an elite RHD prospect on the way. I would've loved to keep him if Nemec wasn't ready very soon. We'll miss him more than Graves.

The criticisms of Severson aren’t a Devils fanbase only thing.

This was from Dom’s Top 50 UFA List from May LINK

30DBED14-E787-478C-A039-495A6EB46BB2.png

Few defenders impact the game better than Damon Severson, but there are also very few who are as maligned as the Devils’ blueliner. The model loves Severson as expected — most models do. Severson’s underlying five-on-five numbers are often very strong as a result of his strong puck-moving ability.

But those numbers don’t always match up with what actually happens, especially offensively. Through his entire nine-year career Severson’s goals percentage has never exceeded his expected goals percentage and is 4.4 percentage points lower on average. It wasn’t until this season, when he played in a sheltered role, that the Devils actually outscored their opponents with Severson on the ice. It took a 59 percent expected goals rate to get to 55 percent of the goals for Severson.

He has an immense ability to tilt the ice, but for whatever reason the results don’t follow. Severson is prone to “The Big Mistake,” though that doesn’t quite explain that the discrepancy mostly stems from pucks not going in.

The model believes Severson is a bargain at $4 million and could comfortably play on a team’s second pair, but there’s probably a reason to be cautious if a lot of hockey people aren’t nearly as fond of the player.

Graves wasn’t an ideal shutdown guy, so no, I don’t mind not signing him for 5-6 years for 4.5-5m. We’re going to miss him because we don’t have an obvious replacement but it’s actually refreshing having a GM who doesn’t immediately sign a vet defender in this situation.

Graves and Marino did great results on the PK, and for the most part did a solid job overall. Also Marino and Siegenthaler were poisonously bad together, so the new pairings likely have to avoid that.

Severson was an excellent puck mover and solid PKer who made the defensemen who played with him better. He was still prone to gaffs, not good on the PP, and he got a 8 year deal that I would want no part of.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
I’ll always have a soft spot for Severson. He went through some struggles and dealt with being on some really bad teams. He was always a whipping boy for many due to his gaffes typically being of the spectacular variety, but he was a better defender than many would give him credit for. He also had some real strong offensive seasons.

I’m happy he got the bag that he did. I wish he could have experienced more success here than he did, because he was a consummate pro through some dark years here.

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
After the previous 10 years of no success any little bit we got was going to feel good. Reminds me of the Eddie Murphy "Ritz cracker" bit he did way back..."best damn cracker I ever had".. But beating the rangers is always extra special.
Winning Rangers was really nice, it created some belief. Losing to Canes I see as well important, since the Canes played the best defensive hockey in my humble hockey history, which is important lesson as well.

I think it's fair to expect the regular season to be a Devils show. Team on paper is young, explosive and still experienced enough not to have long slumps. What goes to playoffs I would still put SEVERAL of the more experienced teams ahead of us, but definitely would not count out the Devils completely.

Reactions: My3Sons

Goptor

Jun 30, 2016

I kinda get where he is coming from. They are good in a conceptual way. They use their salary cap to bring in dumps and use it to accumulate extra draft picks. Its the preferred concept on how to build a sustainable franchise from a talent perspective.

Its just that they are a complete mess in so many other ways that I feel he lends a blind eye to.

Last edited:

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Holy LOL Graviteh’s latest video is amazing. One of his 10 bold predictions for the season is the Sharks will finish dead last, which isn’t the first time he’s said that this off-season.

Kid absolutely roasts the Sharks D. “it is brutal, it is crappy, it is awful. And considering Vlasic’s just garbage at this point in his career. Jan Rutta is basically nothing right now”. and their goalies. “Which might be the worst in the league, probably THE worst in the league. Kaapo Kahkonen has been brutal with the Sharks so far and that defense isn’t gonna be doing him any favors. Mackenzie Blackwood has been healthy for like two games the past five years and…… in those games he’s been pretty bad, pretty horrible. I have no faith in that defense. Zero, less faith in that goaltending”. He thinks the Sharks could allow “340 plus goals” this year.

Starts at 11:30 and the trashing of the defensemen and then the goalies starts around 12:40.

Jacob MacDonald could be a shrewd pickup for them though.

Last edited:

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
we are less than a week away.

I just told you that everyone complains about the fact that the rosters aren't released until very late. They might even get released day of. I doubt very much Luke Hughes will be there, and I'm not certain Nemec will be there either. I don't think there will be a lot to see.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I kinda get where he is coming from. They are good in a conceptual way. They use their salary cap to bring in dumps and use it to accumulate extra draft picks. Its the preferred concept on how to build a sustainable franchise from a talent perspective.

It’s just that they are a complete mess in so many other ways that I feel he lends a blind eye to.
Fair enough.

I’m skeptical they’ll ever be consistently competitive with the current ownership group they have, even if the management and hockey ops people are pulling their weight.

He’s actually been modestly pumping Arizona since last year, if not the year before that. He was one of many who propagate the fake meme that “Arizona are a hard working team and they’ll make you pay if you think you’re gonna come into that building and get an easy win”. And it seems many have been pounding that drum, including Bill Spaulding when we have played them.

I’m not saying they’re not a hard working team, but the need to constantly point out how working they are is almost making them sound even worse than they are. Like they should only be winning 10-15 games a year, but they win 25-28 because of how hard working they are. Did they really win 28 games last year because they work hard and not because they aren’t actually the worst team in the league? They still only won 5 more games and got 12 more points than the team with the fewest wins/points. Did they win 5 more games than Columbus because they’re such hard workers and the Blue Jackets aren’t? Really?

Reactions: My3Sons

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
I just told you that everyone complains about the fact that the rosters aren't released until very late. They might even get released day of. I doubt very much Luke Hughes will be there, and I'm not certain Nemec will be there either. I don't think there will be a lot to see.
I’m hoping both are there. Nemec was there last year. Hughes wasn’t because of NCAA so I’m hoping he is there. What makes you think there won’t be a lot to see?

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
Holy LOL Graviteh’s latest video is amazing. One of his 10 bold predictions for the season is the Sharks will finish dead last, which isn’t the first time he’s said that this off-season.

Kid absolutely roasts the Sharks D. “it is brutal, it is crappy, it is awful. And considering Vlasic’s just garbage at this point in his career. Jan Rutta is basically nothing right now”. and they’re goalies. “Which might be the worst in the league, probably THE worst in the league. Kaapo Kahkonen has been brutal with the Sharks so far and that defense isn’t gonna be doing him any favors. Mackenzie Blackwood has been healthy for like two games the past five years and…… in those games he’s been pretty bad, pretty horrible. I have no faith in that defense. Zero, less faith in that goaltending”. He thinks the Sharks could allow “340 plus goals” this year.

Starts at 11:30 and the trashing of the defensemen and then the goalies starts around 12:40.

Jacob MacDonald could be a shrewd pickup for them though.

Hofer take is interesting. I don't know Hofer much at all, but I could see 6'5" 179lbs goalie having some serious speed advantage compared to the other big goalies. Checked some highlights and while he does look bit rookie in them, the physical advantage is something that might take him far.

What goes to Sharks. If guys like Kunin and Granlund get themselves fixed, and Vlasic finds some spark, they might not be that horrible. While the defense might be horrible, I'm thinking both goalies Kähkönen & Blackwood will do their job well.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Hofer take is interesting. I don't know Hofer much at all, but I could see 6'5" 179lbs goalie having some serious speed advantage compared to the other big goalies. Checked some highlights and while he does look bit rookie in them, the physical advantage is something that might take him far.

What goes to Sharks. If guys like Kunin and Granlund get themselves fixed, and Vlasic finds some spark, they might not be that horrible. While the defense might be horrible, I'm thinking both goalies Kähkönen & Blackwood will do their job well.

Well you know @Bleedred will agree with you about Blackwood but for different reasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad