Devils Team Discussion (current team/player news and notes) ‎2014-2015 edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

manilaNJ

Optimism: Unwavering
Mar 5, 2012
New Jersey
League. It's from some poster on the analytics sub forum, so take it for what it's worth. Makes sense to me though.

It does make sense. I wouldn't be surprised, with this current roster, to see lines 3 and 4 even closer together than that.
This is where usage becomes important, though.
The image of Chicago's usage chart from last season is burned into my memory:

chicago-blackhawks-2013-2014-player-usage_medium.png

Good forwards will make the best of it, but you don't give good forwards bad minutes.
Looking through some charts from last season, it seems like PDB is trending towards something of the same. Most likely to get what he can out of Zajac/Jagr, Elias/whoever.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Interesting question....

Neglecting contracts, waivers, etc, what is your ideal Devils line-up with both the players signed and tryouts? Like ignore who has contracts and who doesn't, if none of that matter, how would you want the Devils to look on opening night.

Here's mine:

Cammalleri-Zajac-Jagr
Zubrus-Elias-Havlat
Clowe-Henrique-Brunner
Ruutu-Carter-Tootoo
Gionta/Josefson

Greene-Merrill
Gelinas-Larsson
Salvador-Zidlicky
Kaberle

Schneider and Kinkaid

Mamashev interests me as well, although I can't really say that because he hasn't even played yet. I also wouldn't mind Gomez on the team I just don't see a spot.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Interesting question....

Neglecting contracts, waivers, etc, what is your ideal Devils line-up with both the players signed and tryouts? Like ignore who has contracts and who doesn't, if none of that matter, how would you want the Devils to look on opening night.

Here's mine:

Cammalleri-Zajac-Jagr
Zubrus-Elias-Havlat
Clowe-Henrique-Brunner
Ruutu-Carter-Tootoo
Gionta/Josefson

Greene-Merrill
Gelinas-Larsson
Salvador-Zidlicky
Kaberle

Schneider and Kinkaid

Mamashev interests me as well, although I can't really say that because he hasn't even played yet. I also wouldn't mind Gomez on the team I just don't see a spot.

I know probably one of the two needs to go, but for a team desperate for offense it’s tough to trade away Brunner or Ryder for a pick. I would also like to see Josefson earn a spot in the lineup vs. being a regular scratch. Have no idea what Lou is going to do with the forwards, but would like to see them get away from a typical physical/energy 4th line and just have more balanced scoring. Ideally, from your lineup I’d rather see Gionta in the minors with Ryder in the lineup and Tootoo/Carter/Josefson rotating in depending on matchups. Have to figure an average of at least one forward injured just about all time given age/history. Maybe send Tootoo down until there’s an opening.

Curious to see what Mamashev has to offer on D and think he has more upside than Kaberle, though Harrold doesn’t bother me as a 7th defenseman as he’s good sitting for long stretches and coming in cold for a few days & my hope is that Severson would be able to jump into the lineup if any d-men are injured for an extended period of time.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
Tedenby and Zharkov produced in the AHL too, so I'm not sure how much that really means.

Tedenby did NOT produce in the AHL, so...yeah, not sure where you got that idea. Zharkov was also a good deal less productive than Josefson, aside from one strong stretch of 20ish games in 09-10.

No one's saying "AHL production is a guaranteed predictor of NHL production." 60 games isn't a huge sample for JJ, But it doesn't tell us nothing. And it's not telling us something radical in this instance.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Tedenby did NOT produce in the AHL, so...yeah, not sure where you got that idea. Zharkov was also a good deal less productive than Josefson, aside from one strong stretch of 20ish games in 09-10.

No one's saying "AHL production is a guaranteed predictor of NHL production." 60 games isn't a huge sample for JJ, But it doesn't tell us nothing. And it's not telling us something radical in this instance.

Fair enough. The general point I was trying to make is that AHL production doesn't really mean anything. Guys tear it up in the AHL that never make it to the NHL. As of yet, Josefson hasn't shown much of an offensive game in the NHL. Some of that is his linemates, but when a guy like Gionta is putting up similar totals playing with similar players, I tend to think that might be on Josefson. And he doesn't have to score 20 goals, or put up 40 points, but if he wants to be our third line center, he has to do more than just skate well and not **** up.

tycobb

Jun 28, 2011
So my take after watching the first game.

Severson isn't making the team out of camp.

Komisarek is getting cut.

Zubrus - Elias - Havlat will stick.

Clowe - Henrique - Ryder look like they will be pretty good. Henrique best player on the ice tonight.

Kinkaid will be the backup.

Tootoo is going to challenge for the 4th line. Yayo maybe our 13th forward.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
So my take after watching the first game.

Severson isn't making the team out of camp.

Komisarek is getting cut.

Zubrus - Elias - Havlat will stick.

Clowe - Henrique - Ryder look like they will be pretty good. Henrique best player on the ice tonight.

Kinkaid will be the backup.

Tootoo is going to challenge for the 4th line. Yayo maybe our 13th forward.

Boucher was involved in all of Ryder and Henrique's goals outside of the last one with his passing. Clowe would work fine with them but if Boucher keeps up this kind of play for the rest of preseason he might deserve a look.

I agree with you on Severson. There is a TON of upside to the kids game but he is REALLY green and needs some more cooking. Komi is definitely getting cut.

kevinchoi

Sep 22, 2014
Newark
Hey guys, new user to HFboards long time hockey fan and recently a devils fan since im in the area frequently for work. Been enjoying the conversations here and more importantly enjoyed the game tonight...thought id make an account and be little more active

I agree with a lot of your post here.. jansen and JJ were useless tonight clemensen with a weak goal and not sure how mike komiserek was ever an allstar ? Svererson is so young and will only develop with time. looking forwared to seeing how he develops.

After tonights game I think Komiserek gets cut from D. gelinas and larson played well. kelly had some good defensive plays and tootoo with some smart and dumb plays. I think komi gets cut along with fedotanko and jansen ...would like to see kaberle given a few more games could still have it in him and wouldt mind seeing kelly in one more game before he gets sent back down could be defensive d man call up with a 2-3 injuries if needed.

Based Anime Fan

Himedanshi Bandit
Mar 11, 2012
Tokai
So, this is what I saw tonight:

+Henrique - Big goals. He played with determination and intelligence
+Boucher - Big plays, got into the thick of the action
+Kinky - Great saves, didn't get bent out of it by the goals
+Gelinas - Laser. Actually played good defence. Paired well with Larson
+Larson - 1 gaffe, but played like he should have 2 years ago.

Points of interest:

Havlat - Played great, had good vision, got to the areas needed to make chances.
Ryder - Good showing, just has to keep it up.
Kaberle - Waiting to see him with a few better players, may become a hidden gem.
Tootoo - Played agressivly, but took a bad penalty in the O-zone. REgardless, still is in the running for a 4th line spot. I expect he'd be better with Gomer then he was with JaJo.
JaJo - Had moments, but overall status-quo for him. Has to step up his game.
Matteau - Played good. Nothing I noticed was bad, but was kinda invisible for a bit.
Kelley - Had some good plays, but duffed it on the 3rd goal. Complete bush league coverage, but Komisarek is also to blame for that.

- Clemmer - 2 garbage goals against. Shaky after both, didn't really do much else.
- Zubrus - Not that he did anything wrong, but too slow.
- Komisarek - Wow. Got burned a few times, seemed lost for large portions of the game.
- The PP - Outside of the Gelly Bomb, not much happening here. The PK was way more aggressive on the net then the PP was.

So overall, the forwards were decent, the 2nd half of the goaltending was good, and our already existing defence was good.

I think that the PTOs up front may bear fruit, but the backend is a waste of effort for the organization. Komi was junk, if we wanted that kind of play we could have kept A-Train, and would have at least had a guy who knew the system.

Pete's new 'Attack the Net' strategy, if that's a thing, seems to be a good change, but let's wait until Jagr/Zajac/Cammaleri get onto the ice.

Czech Trio

Aug 29, 2009
Boucher brings a different element to Henrique/Ryder than Clowe does. More speed and what not. And I'm not a big fan of Zubrus with Elias/Havlat. I think Clowe would slot in there nicely.

Missionhockey

Jul 6, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
Boucher brings a different element to Henrique/Ryder than Clowe does. More speed and what not. And I'm not a big fan of Zubrus with Elias/Havlat. I think Clowe would slot in there nicely.

Boucher isn't a fast skater, just a younger one. He's probably faster than Clowe but I really don't think that's saying much.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

They're trying to recapture the Elias-Zubrus-Sykora line of two years ago with subbing Havlat for Sykora.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
They're trying to recapture the Elias-Zubrus-Sykora line of two years ago with subbing Havlat for Sykora.

Back when Zubrus was actually good.

Right now he looks like a 78 C30 pickup, with nothing but body rust, big clouds of smokes blowing out, busted headlights, fluids leaking all over the place, and a loud rod knock. That's how bad he looks.

I'm not saying we need to take him to the junkyard (although it would be nice to), we do need to get over this prerequisite that he should be playing on one of the top 2 or 3 lines though. If one or him or Ruutu needs to be on the 4th line, by all means it needs to be Zubrus. Ruutu is like a younger and better Zubrus. He also makes more money than Zubrus, if there was any issue with paying a 4th liner that much.

Zubrus should NOT be forced into the top 6 or top 9, despite what that one dude on here keeps saying. And there's no way anyone in their right mind would rather have him over Elias in the final minute of a game, like the alleged comments earlier tonight. :shakehead

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Agreed on Bouchers skating. It's mediocre at the NHL level. It's passable with his shot though, and if he can find holes in the D, he can make a living in this league.

Devils Army

Rebuild Over.
Feb 3, 2014
New Jersey
Boucher's first few steps are very slow. He looks better on the Devils because most of the team is old and slow. Reid's not going to make his money is the transition game, it's going to be on the cycle.

He'll make his money on his play making and release, better skater than advertised, definitely improved from year 1

kevinchoi

Sep 22, 2014
Newark
bouchard can skate! first time really seeing him and just did some research didnt realize home much he scored in junior hopefully that can transition in the nhl with time

Devils Army

Rebuild Over.
Feb 3, 2014
New Jersey
Just read and old Hockeysfuture article about Parsie talking about how he wasn't that great of a skater and how agility wasn't his strong suit and he turned out to be a great skater and one of the most agile and quick players in the league. Not comparing them as players(though the hustle and motivation to be a 2 way player are there oh and size) but we shouldn't be too quick to judge his skating. Take this as a grain to salt though

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad