Devils Team Discussion (current team/player news and notes) ‎2014-2015 edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

manilaNJ

Optimism: Unwavering
Mar 5, 2012
New Jersey
Carry over from last thread...

Gelinas got pissed at my comments and others' on instagram. :)

I'm not surprised he'd lash out. Most players want the business aspect as separate as possible. This is an instance where an outside influence can help, but still..

I am not worried about Gelinas. He and his agent have no leverage. Gelinas isn't ROR. The difference is in the 100s of thousands - not millions. Gelinas could really mess up his development if he doesn't sign for camp. Which is my Lou is probably low balling him.

This is typically the case but...

Lupien is toying with Lou out of spite at the detriment of Gelinas. He probably doesn't care either because of how little Gelinas' contract is worth to him.

I'd be willing to bet everything I own that this is what is going on.

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
Classless of fans to attack him just because he is trying to get a fair contract (in his opinion). He has the right.

RNCDevil

Jun 21, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
I also don't understand the postings. Heck, I don't get Instagram, but whatever. What I do find amusing is the narcissism involved in getting "followers" as strangers and wishing to keep them at arms length. "Worship me, but don't question me."

OpethNJD

loldevils
Jan 13, 2013
Vernon, Nj
To be honest I'm glad we have some drama to pass the time till preseason...just keep in mind with gelly and his Instagram that he's still just a kid...lashing out at the interweb trolls isn't above a kid his age.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
Let's please not be those fans that now because he's in a public contract dispute we are going to act like he's no good. We all know what he brings to the ice and what we hope he works on. He should be a big part of this Devils D in the future that already is minus Fayne. Hopefully he figures something out to stay.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Two posts from the old thread I wanted to comment on:

I had intended to figure out who Gelinas' agent was earlier this summer to see if it was a noted trouble maker... I should have trusted that instinct :laugh:

Sadly it seems like finding out players' agents has become required reading. Just like when Parise hired the company Meehan was running to represent him (Meehan was the guy that held out Nieds and Arnott in 2000), that was a red flag too.

Fortunately for Marty he was old and mature enough to realize that he was better off moving on from this guy as it would only hurt him

I'm not sure I can say the same for Gelinas who is barely legal to drink and might have his head clouded by this guy

Actually Marty was 23 during his contract negotiations in '95. Gelinas is 23 now.

Imagine how different Devils history would be if Marty didn't do what he did (which 98% of pro athletes would not have done)...we might have only one Cup instead of three.

Last edited:

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
Maybe he should post more exciting pictures. All he posts are pictures of golf courses. Give his followers something else to talk about.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Let's please not be those fans that now because he's in a public contract dispute we are going to act like he's no good. We all know what he brings to the ice and what we hope he works on. He should be a big part of this Devils D in the future that already is minus Fayne. Hopefully he figures something out to stay.

There IS a slight difference between trash-talking the guy's agent and making it personal with him though...I have to read DS's Tweet again but I was under the impression he was just making comments about how Marty fired his agent.

Yeah it sucks when people get personal on social media but it's to be expected quite honestly. That's the main reason why I'm glad Lou doesn't allow Twitter or social media interaction, another outlet for loons to annoy players and players to answer back and make fools of themselves. Any public account on the internet you sort of have to expect things like this.

And yes he can go scratch for listening to his egotistical agent - but after all, it's his own career he's flushing down the toilet. The Devils will be fine in the long run defensively with or without Gelinas. I do wonder why we even drafted him since clearly his agent hasn't grown up in twenty years...I suppose he wasn't represented by Lupien at that point.

Last edited:

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
Two posts from the old thread I wanted to comment on:

Sadly it seems like finding out players' agents has become required reading. Just like when Parise hired the company Meehan was running to represent him (Meehan was the guy that held out Nieds and Arnott in 2000), that was a red flag too.

Actually Marty was 23 during his contract negotiations in '95. Gelinas is 23 now.

Imagine how different Devils history would be if Marty didn't do what he did (which 98% of pro athletes would not have done)...we might have only one Cup instead of three.

Thanks forthe correction for whatever reason I had his 2006ish contract extension in mind

Makes him look even more savvy for realizing at that age

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
Well now there's drama for those that were bored.

Gelinas... all that

Stevens... quite because his ideas and suggestions were being ignored.

manilaNJ

Mar 5, 2012
New Jersey

Unfortunately, true.
Like I said in the other thread, never underestimate an agent with a grudge.
And also again, an even bigger misfortune is that the majority of the time, the player is ignorant to it all.

Now I'm not surprised at all that Gelinas might currently be shopped. Lupien's issues with Lou aren't going to be solved by signing 1 RFA contract... this is pent up angst over losing Brodeur as a client.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
LOL you think we win a 4th cup if we still had Dunham? Dunham stunk, why would he have been starting over Marty anyway? Dunham was garbage. He was an average backup when Nashville got him in the expansion draft. He was cremated ashes during that stint with the Rangers.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Unfortunately, true.
Like I said in the other thread, never underestimate an agent with a grudge.
And also again, an even bigger misfortune is that the majority of the time, the player is ignorant to it all.

Now I'm not surprised at all that Gelinas might currently be shopped. Lupien's issues with Lou aren't going to be solved by signing 1 RFA contract... this is pent up angst over losing Brodeur as a client.

The scary part is this guy's (Lupien) a 60-year old man. A little late in life to hold twenty-year old grudges :p:

LOL you think we win a 4th cup if we still had Dunham? Dunham stunk, why would he have been starting over Marty anyway? Dunham was garbage. He was an average backup when Nashville got him in the expansion draft. He was cremated ashes during that stint with the Rangers.

I think the point was if Marty had let Lupien get him traded out of town during his '95 holdout then Dunham would have been starting. Or whoever we traded Marty for.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
The scary part is this guy's (Lupien) a 60-year old man. A little late in life to hold twenty-year old grudges :p:

I think the point was if Marty had let Lupien get him traded out of town during his '95 holdout then Dunham would have been starting. Or whoever we traded Marty for.

We would have had some pretty lousy years with Dunham as the starter. He wasn't very good. I still wet my pants at how excited Rangers fans were over acquiring him after Richter was taken out.

Then a year later, Sather desperately tried to get rid of him and couldn't.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Let me try to get things straight here. If Gely and his agent continues to hold out he will end up missing camp, and unless he gets offer sheeted this all ends up going to arbitration right?

None of this benefits Gely or his career. His agent is messing him up pretty badly here.

manilaNJ

Mar 5, 2012
New Jersey

If you really want to find out just how petty some of these guys can get, date an agent :shakehead

Let me try to get things straight here. If Gely and his agent continues to hold out he will end up missing camp, and unless he gets offer sheeted this all ends up going to arbitration right?

None of this benefits Gely or his career. His agent is messing him up pretty badly here.

Despite the fact that Gelinas is considered an RFA, he doesn't have enough experience to have RFA rights. So he is not eligible for arbitration nor offer sheets.

As to your latter point, well there's this from RG earlier:
Lupien is toying with Lou out of spite at the detriment of Gelinas. He probably doesn't care either because of how little Gelinas' contract is worth to him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad