Devils Team Discussion (current team/player news and notes) ‎2014-2015 edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Are these the lines? Having Henrique and Elias together would create an amazing 2nd line.

Those are his lines. The practice lines are all over the place so hard to know outside of the Jagr line what the lines will be tomorrow never mind opening night.

Pete says no Merrill tomorrow but just because they want to play it safe. Apparently he is fine. Cory isn't starting either.

njdevils6

Jan 24, 2013
camm zajac jagr
close henrique ryder
zubrus elias havlat
ruutu josefson/gomez brunner

thats kinda what I'm looking at for the 1st game of the season

elias playing third line with havlat/zubrus helps make both better and they can beat on other teams 3rd lines and match up against 2nd lines to free up some other lines and that 4thline looks ok to match up against 3rd lines

they could also flip zubie and ruutu

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
camm zajac jagr
close henrique ryder
zubrus elias havlat
ruutu josefson/gomez brunner

thats kinda what I'm looking at for the 1st game of the season

elias playing third line with havlat/zubrus helps make both better and they can beat on other teams 3rd lines and match up against 2nd lines to free up some other lines and that 4thline looks ok to match up against 3rd lines

they could also flip zubie and ruutu

Look like the lines he has been using the past two days. Seems he wants to try and go three centers with Henrique and Elias apart (I'm not sure it will work but no reason not to try. Makes the team deeper if it works)

He has so many 4tg line combos I have no clue what will be out there. Honestly I know it's so early in camp but it really looks like cbgb is going to be done as a line for this time. One of them won't be a starter and another won't make the team is my guess. (Maybe Gio as a scratch and one of carter/Bernier cut).

njdevils6

Jan 24, 2013
Look like the lines he has been using the past two days. Seems he wants to try and go three centers with Henrique and Elias apart (I'm not sure it will work but no reason not to try. Makes the team deeper if it works)

He has so many 4tg line combos I have no clue what will be out there. Honestly I know it's so early in camp but it really looks like cbgb is going to be done as a line for this time. One of them won't be a starter and another won't make the team is my guess. (Maybe Gio as a scratch and one of carter/Bernier cut).

well carter is the one being cut IMO he doesn't have a contract i would take him over josefson and gomez as my 4th line C but that would mean gionta bernier and Harrold in the press box and i don't think Pete can put all three of his sons in the box or the Wife will give him a whooping.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
well carter is the one being cut IMO he doesn't have a contract i would take him over josefson and gomez as my 4th line C but that would mean gionta bernier and Harrold in the press box and i don't think Pete can put all three of his sons in the box or the Wife will give him a whooping.

Bernier's contract still tells me he is on thin ice and one of these vets is going to play him out of a job.

I don't know what Carter's deal was with a contract but he has more skill so I can see him playing himself back on the team.

Harrold is a pure 7th this year but I do think he will be used as a threat on the kids whether people like it as a motivational tool or not.

Deleted member 28548

Carter is the all around better player over Gionta and Bernier though. He brings far more to the table and plays hard in the postseason as well. Gionta back to the AHL. Bernier waived.

njdevils6

Jan 24, 2013
Carter is the all around better player over Gionta and Bernier though. He brings far more to the table and plays hard in the postseason as well. Gionta back to the AHL. Bernier waived.

100% but i can't think of a sane reason why he wasn't the first of the 4th lines resigned and not only 1st but at all

Last edited:

njdevils6

Jan 24, 2013
Bernier's contract still tells me he is on thin ice and one of these vets is going to play him out of a job.

I don't know what Carter's deal was with a contract but he has more skill so I can see him playing himself back on the team.

Harrold is a pure 7th this year but I do think he will be used as a threat on the kids whether people like it as a motivational tool or not.

i might even take kaberle as 7th over harrold but Pete can play cold and not a lot of people can do that

maybe Pete doesn't like Carter so they are giving him the try out deal so another teams sees him and gives him a nice contract kinda like Lou throwing him a bone before he boots him? thats the only thing i can thnk that is going on

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
It seems clear that Carter wants to come back, or he wouldn't still be waiting around without a contract. But if he wanted to come back that badly you'd think they'd have signed him by now.

The whole situation is just strange. It's almost like Lou lost count of how many forwards we had signed, got to Carter and went "Oh ****, we have 14 guys on one way contracts already. Whoops.":laugh:

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
It seems clear that Carter wants to come back, or he wouldn't still be waiting around without a contract. But if he wanted to come back that badly you'd think they'd have signed him by now.

The whole situation is just strange. It's almost like Lou lost count of how many forwards we had signed, got to Carter and went "Oh ****, we have 14 guys on one way contracts already. Whoops.":laugh:

Or he expected to trade/offload someone in the summer, and of course didn't (which never seems to happen when we're in a bind - either capwise or rosterwise). So as usual Last-minute Lou's going to keep us all in suspense probably into October and November :p:

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E

Postseason? All three haven't played playoff hockey since 2012 and all three played equally as hard. I like Carter too but don't discredit his linemates that year.

Also Carter is better but its not a huge difference. It is 4th line skill sets. He isn't so much better that if he can't win a camp battle that he automatically deserves to play over the guys who played better. We spend to much time worrying about the 4th line on here IMO.

I don't know why he wasn't signed right away. My only guess is he had or thought there were other better offers that never materialized and because of the amount of forwards he is stuck having to battle back in.

manilaNJ

Optimism: Unwavering
Mar 5, 2012
New Jersey
It's also worth noting that Carter plays the least minutes out of the 3, and has never really been forced up the lineup like the other 2.

At points, CBGB has been forced to act as a 3rd line, but he hasn't been shifted up in binds like Gionta and Bernier have.

We might see Carter as substantially better because we've never really had to watch him play above his head like the other 2.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
It's also worth noting that Carter plays the least minutes out of the 3, and has never really been forced up the lineup like the other 2.

At points, CBGB has been forced to act as a 3rd line, but he hasn't been shifted up in binds like Gionta and Bernier have.

We might see Carter as substantially better because we've never really had to watch him play above his head like the other 2.

True he never was shifted up and at least with the eye test its not crazy. They never look to bad when they play as a true 4th line. When they played 3rd line duties they looked over their heads, and when the other two were promoted the same thing.

All three are 4th liners and none of them should play higher then that. If one or two of them gets outplayed in camp or if a vet like Zubs or Ruutu takes a 4th line spot from them I honestly won't shed a single tear. Even if its Carter who is the short man out.

manilaNJ

Mar 5, 2012
New Jersey
True he never was shifted up and at least with the eye test its not crazy. They never look to bad when they play as a true 4th line. When they played 3rd line duties they looked over their heads, and when the other two were promoted the same thing.

All three are 4th liners and none of them should play higher then that. If one or two of them gets outplayed in camp or if a vet like Zubs or Ruutu takes a 4th line spot from them I honestly won't shed a single tear. Even if its Carter who is the short man out.

Agreed.
Admittedly, I'm a big fan of Carter. He's also a pretty funny interview to listen to.
So I don't mind having him around.

But given the choice between having guys like Ruutu and Josefson anchoring the 4th line and having a more traditional, less dimensional 4th line... I think we all know what the better decision is here.

Even without Carter, Gionta or Bernier... I still think there's 1 top 9 forward too many. I've said my piece on having offensive minded guys on the 4th line, so I'll spare you all for now.
That being said, I think there'll be a need for at least 1 of them.

Not to mention the lack of trusted PKers on this team is starting to get a bit worrisome.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Agreed.
Admittedly, I'm a big fan of Carter. He's also a pretty funny interview to listen to.
So I don't mind having him around.

But given the choice between having guys like Ruutu and Josefson anchoring the 4th line and having a more traditional, less dimensional 4th line... I think we all know what the better decision is here.

Even without Carter, Gionta or Bernier... I still think there's 1 top 9 forward too many. I've said my piece on having offensive minded guys on the 4th line, so I'll spare you all for now.
That being said, I think there'll be a need for at least 1 of them.

Not to mention the lack of trusted PKers on this team is starting to get a bit worrisome.

I am not to worried about the PK. The coaching staff seems to have a pretty effective system in place where guys like Zids and Loki even looked like decent PKers for their short stints there and even Gio looks like a good PKer (something I don't think would happen on other teams).

manilaNJ

Mar 5, 2012
New Jersey
I am not to worried about the PK. The coaching staff seems to have a pretty effective system in place where guys like Zids and Loki even looked like decent PKers for their short stints there and even Gio looks like a good PKer (something I don't think would happen on other teams).

I'm leaning this way.
But it'd be nice to be comfortable with the forwards since only 2 of the current dmen played regular PK time last season.

Normally, special teams don't worry me too much -- but interdivisional points will be at a premium this season.

Washington and Pittsburgh can win games with their powerplay.
Philadelphia traditionally can too.
NYI & Columbus look to have a pretty good PP as well.

With all the tight, one goal games the Devils have been a part of lately, these are the things my brain is picking apart right now.

Devils1029

Jun 19, 2008
Call it a hunch but I suspect that Bernier is going to be put on waivers. Lou has said that he had a poor year last year and they were giving him a chance to resurrect his career with this 1 year deal.

To me, that doesn't say he's guaranteed a roster spot despite it being a 1 way contract. Lou doesn't like to pay guys on 1 ways in the minors but I also think that Bernier signed just before the opening of Free agency and there were no definites who Lou would be able to sign.

I'm not sure when the waiver window opens but if he couldn't be dealt, he'll go on waivers and be sent to Albany to resurrect his career. If he can find his game and scoring touch, he would be in line for a recall in the case of injury.

This could be what is holding up Carter from being signed or could also be the reason that Tootoo was given a tryout.

On that back end, I wouldn't be surprised if Harrold was waived. Sure, he's a good #7 dman but I think Gelly and Larsson being somewhat wildcards that Devils Mangement would want someone more reliable to fill in for one of those guys - thus the reason for the invites to Kaberle and Komisarek. One of those two will make the team and they are both probably better options than Harrold.

tycobb

Jun 28, 2011

We lost Fayne (139:53) and Volchenkov (201:33). Greene and Salvador are the other PKers left on the back that has played more than 50 minutes there last season.

Merrill and Larsson will likely be the ones taken a significant amount of those minutes. Zidlicky may get some, but I doubt it since his value is not in his own zone.

manilaNJ

Mar 5, 2012
New Jersey
Call it a hunch but I suspect that Bernier is going to be put on waivers. Lou has said that he had a poor year last year and they were giving him a chance to resurrect his career with this 1 year deal.

To me, that doesn't say he's guaranteed a roster spot despite it being a 1 way contract. Lou doesn't like to pay guys on 1 ways in the minors but I also think that Bernier signed just before the opening of Free agency and there were no definites who Lou would be able to sign.

I have the same hunch. It looks like the Devils might be 1 or 2 players over the roster limit if they sign Carter or any of the tryouts. Bernier would likely be the first waived.

On that back end, I wouldn't be surprised if Harrold was waived. Sure, he's a good #7 dman but I think Gelly and Larsson being somewhat wildcards that Devils Mangement would want someone more reliable to fill in for one of those guys - thus the reason for the invites to Kaberle and Komisarek. One of those two will make the team and they are both probably better options than Harrold.

Call me crazy - and I know we don't like Harrold around here - but Harrold is a lot more reliable as a #7 than either of Komisarek or Kaberle.

Maybe Jagr is right and Kaberle still can play at this level - but his most recent body of work in the NHL was over a year and a half ago, and it wasn't impressive.
Komisarek was just terrible for Carolina last season. I easily take Harrold over him.

tycobb

Jun 28, 2011
I don't like Lou is going to sign a offensive defenseman when we lost Fayne and Volch this offseason. Who ever is the best in his own zone IMO is getting the 7th man spot. I am hoping that the KHL guy plays in the AHL for us if he doesn't get a roster spot.

Whoever is the 7th man IMO is going to get a lot of games this year (>40).

manilaNJ

Mar 5, 2012
New Jersey
Whoever is the 7th man IMO is going to get a lot of games this year (>40).

Definitely agree with this, too.

Between three young guys who have been sheltered in various ways and Sal, who has had one season without injury (the year after he was out for the entirety of the season due to injury)... we're going to need to get good mileage out of the extra defenseman.

Feed Me A Stray Cat

Mar 27, 2005
Boston, MA
For the rosterbaters out there who scrutinize and argue about whether a player should be on the 1st 2nd or 3rd line, look below at the estimated average for ES ice time among the lines:

15:36 29%
14:20 27%
13:01 24%
10:25 19%

Not much of a difference. Special teams is what determines the real differentials in ice time.

manilaNJ

Mar 5, 2012
New Jersey
For the rosterbaters out there who scrutinize and argue about whether a player should be on the 1st 2nd or 3rd line, look below at the estimated average for ES ice time among the lines:

15:36 29%
14:20 27%
13:01 24%
10:25 19%

Not much of a difference. Special teams is what determines the real differentials in ice time.

Is this a league average or team average? Assuming league.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad