Devils Team Discussion (current team/player news and notes) ‎2014-2015 edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
Did Cam skate towards Kaberle every time he made a pass during warmups? :sarcasm:

Boucher may have gaps in his skillset, but from what I've seen - he more than makes up for them with smart play and positioning. For a smaller guy with skating issues he sure seems to come off the boards with some good passing, vision and just making himself a part of the play when some of our other "talented" smaller forwards just seem to find traffic and eliminate themselves from the play before they can even get close to the puck.

If he keeps piling up points and +'s I think it speaks to his value more than his stride or draft position.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Obviously liked how Boucher played tonight - hope he keeps it up and forces them to find him a spot on the roster, even though it means trading another vet. Even beyond the goals he helped set up he was consistenly getting in good position and getting quality scoring chances.

Was happy overall with how the top 4 Def played...Komisarek was awful, but at least gave the goalies some more action. Would like to see Larsson step it up a bit as he didn't do too much to lock down a spot, but also probably didn't hurt himself much either.

Zubrus didn't really seem to do much out there...was expecting a bit more from him.

I didn't notice Matteau all that much either, though I see he led the team in hits.

I've generally been a Josefson supporter, but he was a bit frustrating to watch last night...puck seemed to consitently just bounce off his stick.

tycobb

Jun 28, 2011
He might not make the team out of camp but you definitely can't base that on last night...as I'm typing thisiI'm watching the encore performance on MSG....

Severson is a fundamentally better defenseman right now than any other dman we iced last night. And he just turned 20 last month. He knows where he is supposed to be, he is strong along the boards and has "make up" speed to cover mistakes.

He showed s bit of chippiness at various points and that is something that is lacking from our defense.

Severson is the complete package.

I don't see it and I was actually looking forward to watching Severson play. He looks like a young promising prospect. Larsson looked way better at 19.

I am also not going to argue with you since you think Severson is better than Larsson fundamentally today.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I don't see it and I was actually looking forward to watching Severson play. He looks like a young promising prospect. Larsson looked way better at 19.

I am also not going to argue with you since you think Severson is better than Larsson fundamentally today.

Larsson look better at 19??? You've come to that conclusion after Severson played 15 minutes of exhibition games?

LOL...silly.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Gelinas was decent overall last night...

There were a couple of moments he look a little bit in trouble, but overall it was a very good showing.

Let's hope he can built and move forward defensively this season.

CKPLAYA

Ping Pong Ball Enthusiast
Nov 24, 2009
Parts Unknown

I think you need to keep it simple and just agree that Severson is on the upswing and Larsson at best is flat (which is not a good thing). I would actually say Larsson is trending downward.

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
Boucher's game isn't about outskating someone. It's about reading the play and finding gaps in the defense to get a scoring opportunity. It seems like he has a knack for doing that and a very high hockey IQ.
That combined with his shot is why he's going to be a NHL player for a long time, I think. Being in the right place at the right time and being able to shoot with the best of them more than makes up for a lack of footspeed.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
Gelinas was decent overall last night...

There were a couple of moments he look a little bit in trouble, but overall it was a very good showing.

Let's hope he can built and move forward defensively this season.

If that's his most rusty performance since it was the first pre-season game I will be very satisfied with him.

tycobb

Jun 28, 2011
Larsson look better at 19??? You've come to that conclusion after Severson played 15 minutes of exhibition games?

LOL...silly.

Severson played 23 mins against other non NHL players. Larsson at 19 played well against NHL players while average 20 mins a game.

Not sure how people who are fans of a team have such a strong bias for individual players.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
If that's his most rusty performance since it was the first pre-season game I will be very satisfied with him.

I would agree...He showed signs of going in the right direction last night. He just needs to play a real simple game without the puck and he'll be more than fine.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I know they aren't close to ready, but I want to see Black and Bell next.

I'm excited for these two.

BTW, what is Bell's contract status?

StnTwnDevil

May 15, 2012
NJ
Severson played 23 mins against other non NHL players. Larsson at 19 played well against NHL players while average 20 mins a game.

Not sure how people who are fans of a team have such a strong bias for individual players.

Both guys looked pretty damn good. Both guys are pretty sure handed with the puck, and look like they can make plays in the offensive zone. Larsson got a bit unlucky on that Kreider goal, but other than that, they both looked very solid. Merril, Gelinas, Larsson, and Severson...... It's a defensive group to be excited about.

shotvalley

Jan 18, 2010
Damon Severson

How would you realisticly rank Seversons skills;

Skating
Puck skills
Shot
Hockey IQ
Defensive play
Physical play

Please use; below nhl level, average nhl level, above average nhl level, very good

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
The Rangers had good speed last night even if it wasn't their full line-up. I thought all 3 kids on defense held their own. (Larsson, Gelly and Sev.) I have no problem with their first exhibition game.

bobilly45

Jan 1, 2013
Tom Gulitti ‏@TGfireandice 6m
What I thought was going to be a scrimmage apparently is going to be a super secret AHL/rookie game vs. Flyers later this afternoon.

Tom Gulitti ‏@TGfireandice 5m
There is also supposed to be a rookie game vs. the Rangers tomorrow afternoon, (No, no one has said anything about it being open to public)

Tom Gulitti ‏@TGfireandice 5m
I only know about the rookie game vs. the Rangers because @AGrossRecord told me. The Rangers actaully tell their media about these things.

tycobb

Jun 28, 2011
I think Larsson kind of loses his composure when something goes wrong and it kind of spirals downward.

Larsson has ridiculously high and unfounded expectations. Some idiot compared him to Lidstrom and the fact that Larsson isn't an NHL regular by the time he was 21 people think he is a failure.

Lidstrom is one of the all time greats and he even regressed after his first season in the league and he didn't start until he was 21 years old.

Andy Greene was nothing until he turned 27 years old. He also fell off a cliff in performance the next two seasons.

Larsson is entering his 4th season and he won't turn 22 until November.

It is crazy how much nitpicking is done when he plays. He was on the ice for 1 goals against (on for 2 goals for) . The puck jumped over his stick. No defenseman in the world would have been able to recover. He generated 3 shots (3rd high on the team), 2 hits, 1 blocked shot, 0 give aways, and had 1 take away. He looked absolutely fine.

Missionhockey

Jul 6, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
Larsson has ridiculously high and unfounded expectations. Some idiot compared him to Lidstrom and the fact that Larsson isn't an NHL regular by the time he was 21 people think he is a failure.

Lidstrom is one of the all time greats and he even regressed after his first season in the league and he didn't start until he was 21 years old.

Andy Greene was nothing until he turned 27 years old. He also fell off a cliff in performance the next two seasons.

Larsson is entering his 4th season and he won't turn 22 until November.

It is crazy how much nitpicking is done when he plays. He was on the ice for 1 goals against (on for 2 goals for) . The puck jumped over his stick. No defenseman in the world would have been able to recover. He generated 3 shots (3rd high on the team), 2 hits, 1 blocked shot, 0 give aways, and had 1 take away. He looked absolutely fine.
Yeah great, he's 21, that's nice and all but at the level he plays at now, he's inconsistent. The Devils made a mistake when they threw him into the NHL as early as he did, but he still makes these mistakes. He was great for most of the game but after the goal there were a few times he was caught running around in his own zone, or not communicating with Gelinas which man they were supposed to take.

His age doesn't correlate to on ice success right now, and to be honest, I think Larsson needs to be a little stronger mentally. To me, it seems like when he makes a mistake he's a little hard on himself and then the problems kind of compound themselves. Luckily last night, it was toward the end of the game so he didn't have a lot of time to devolve into something worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->