Prospect Info: Devils picking 4th Overall.

Who do the Devils pick?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Dahlin is basically the only player i'd consider trading the 4th overall for that's feasible imo. Dahlin's 2nd contract is coming up and Buffalo might have to trade him in 2 years anyway if he takes the 3 year + arbitration route. Maybe he signs an offer sheet that takes him to UFA and the clock on a Dahlin trade starts then. Buffalo is like 3 years away from being even interesting depending on what they get for Eichel I don't see him being a Sabre for life.

Buffalo’s dumb but I can’t imagine they’re dumb enough to move Dahlin for #4

Reactions: TheDuke93

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
4th for Sergachyov? ofcourse. 10 times out of ten. But I believe they can trade Serg for Smith(they are both LD, play in NHL right here and now, Boltz will not need to protect Smith) than 4th pick. Even for Smith I dont think they will trade Sergachyov because he is very good all around defenseman.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007

we would have to add, but they might. if they do and play their cards right with eichel they could be drafting 1st, 3rd and 4th. that would present them with a massive opportunity to push the reset button and get some skilled, cost controlled core in 1 day. i wouldn’t bet on it, but it’s a possibility

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007

They are gonna kick the can down the road but Dahlin being traded within 3 years seems likely imo. They probably won't get a pick higher than 4th overall for him unless he takes a massive jump. Maybe a new coach is what he needs idk.

Nico Hughes

Jun 28, 2021
The 4th overall should not be in f***ing play unless reading the proposed deal would make me grow ovaries so that it would blow both my balls and ovaries off. And if I was wearing socks, knock those off too. f*** that shit. Also I’m pretty sure the blackhawks thing should be sliiiiiiightly more important than his last thought.
As my naughty grandmother would say, except ill translate it into hockey terms:

"Id let (insert unrealistic young top pair dman) keep his slippers under my (NEW JERSEY DEVILS) bed anytime"

aboriginal

lou ****ing sucks
Mar 10, 2006
LV-426
Dahlin is basically the only player i'd consider trading the 4th overall for that's feasible imo. Dahlin's 2nd contract is coming up and Buffalo might have to trade him in 2 years anyway if he takes the 3 year + arbitration route. Maybe he signs an offer sheet that takes him to UFA and the clock on a Dahlin trade starts then. Buffalo is like 3 years away from being even interesting depending on what they get for Eichel I don't see him being a Sabre for life.

IF the sabres are cleaning house and starting over, it’s possible we might not have to include the 4th overall. I mean sure they’ll ask of course. But they will need prospects and I’m fine parting with some of the better kiddos and picks if it works. Would love dahlin but I just can’t see it happening. Wild be wild tho. That cabbage patch looking bastard.

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
IF the sabres are cleaning house and starting over, it’s possible we might not have to include the 4th overall. I mean sure they’ll ask of course. But they will need prospects and I’m fine parting with some of the better kiddos and picks if it works. Would love dahlin but I just can’t see it happening. Wild be wild tho. That cabbage patch looking bastard.

IDK if for real the Dahlin negotiation goes to hell, someone would offer sheet him at 6.5m x 4 which is a 1st, 2nd and 3rd compensation without hesitation. The 8.2m aav+ tier is two 1sts, a 2nd , and a 3rd, Buffalo would match that I think but that has to be the absolute floor on what it would take to get him, and NJ only really has the 4th overall to dangle. Maybe a roster player or two like Zacha.

It basically would require Buffalo loving 4 prospects, thinking they should do a full reset, and the Dahlin negotiations being disastrous so far.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
IDK if for real the Dahlin negotiation goes to hell, someone would offer sheet him at 6.5m x 4 which is a 1st, 2nd and 3rd compensation without hesitation. The 8.2m aav+ tier is two 1sts, a 2nd , and a 3rd, Buffalo would match that I think but that has to be the absolute floor on what it would take to get him, and NJ only really has the 4th overall to dangle. Maybe a roster player or two like Zacha.

It basically would require Buffalo loving 4 prospects, thinking they should do a full reset, and the Dahlin negotiations being disastrous so far.
There’s no offer sheet for Dahlin that Buffalo wouldn’t match. He was the 1OA in 2018 so I don’t any logic in trading him (unless they just don’t want to keep for some weird reason). It’s not like they want go backwards, Dahlin turned 21 in April, defensemen take longer to develop and their age curve is typically the kindest.

People being willing to trade the 4th for the 21 year old former 1OA who has scored 107 points in 197 games is not surprising but that ain’t gonna happen. And someone Zacha, who will be RFA with arbitration rights in a year and UFA in two years, doesn’t exactly add much to the deal.

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
There’s no offer sheet for Dahlin that Buffalo wouldn’t match. He was the 1OA in 2018 so I don’t any logic in trading him (unless they just don’t want to keep for some weird reason). It’s not like they want go backwards, Dahlin turned 21 in April, defensemen take longer to develop and their age curve is typically the kindest.

People being willing to trade the 4th for the 21 year old former 1OA who has scored 107 points in 197 games is not surprising but that ain’t gonna happen. And someone Zacha, who will be RFA with arbitration rights in a year and UFA in two years, doesn’t exactly add much to the deal.

I mostly agree but could see the right team + term with a 4 1st rounder offer sheet making Buffalo think twice at least. It's going to be interesting to see what happens with that contract negotiation given one of the tricks teams used to deal with tough RFA negotiations: 3 year term with massive qualifying offer in year 4, has been removed from the CBA. Dahlin's team will have 6.5m (min) x 4 offer sheets available to negotiate with I'd guess and can basically force a 3 year deal if he wants to.

If they sign him to 3 years, the clock is ticking really for Buffalo, yet again.

Last edited:

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
4th for Sergachyov? ofcourse. 10 times out of ten. But I believe they can trade Serg for Smith(they are both LD, play in NHL right here and now, Boltz will not need to protect Smith) than 4th pick. Even for Smith I dont think they will trade Sergachyov because he is very good all around defenseman.

Id much rather have Sergachev than Dahlin anyway.

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
I want no part in Sergachev, his value is extremely skewed right now because he's playing in the best team in the world. It would be very expensive and there's a chance parts of his defensive game could get exposed playing in a bad team with bad team mates.

I've watched him all playoffs this season and last. He's not playing like someone who's being sheltered / carried. He has been doing the work himself and even made some fantastic defensive plays. That being said, no he is not a #1 d-man and should probably not expect to ever get one through a trade.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
As my naughty grandmother would say, except ill translate it into hockey terms:

"Id let (insert unrealistic young top pair dman) keep his slippers under my (NEW JERSEY DEVILS) bed anytime"
Lol. Speaking of grandparents’ sayings , that reminded me a lot of what my grandpa told me when once “ If the shoe fits wear it , but make sure you wear a sock “ I almost fell out of my chair when he said that as he never swore or cursed around me and was pretty soft spoken .

aboriginal

lou ****ing sucks
Mar 10, 2006
LV-426
Any gm with a pulse should be looking at buffalos roster trying to steal what they can. And I’m all for trying to get dahlin, but I just can’t see it happening. Le sigh

ninetyeight

Jun 3, 2007
Finland
Wow I can't believe people are actually picking Sergachev over Dahlin, not saying you aren't right, but it just seems crazy to me. I think Dahlin is massively suffering playing for an NHL bottom team, while Serg is definitely benefitting playing with an elite offence with bunch of great two way forwards.

There are definitely risks in Hughes/Clarke panning out and I get that Sergachev being older fits the timeline of the rest of the roster better. But there's definitely no guarantees his game will translate to NJ either, new coach new system new linesmates. Also he probably loves playing in Tampa and would hate to play for NJ.

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
Wow I can't believe people are actually picking Sergachev over Dahlin, not saying you aren't right, but it just seems crazy to me. I think Dahlin is massively suffering playing for an NHL bottom team, while Serg is definitely benefitting playing with an elite offence with bunch of great two way forwards.

There are definitely risks in Hughes/Clarke panning out and I get that Sergachev being older fits the timeline of the rest of the roster better. But there's definitely no guarantees his game will translate to NJ either, new coach new system new linesmates. Also he probably loves playing in Tampa and would hate to play for NJ.

uhh...and somehow Dahlin's game will definitely translate well in NJ?

ninetyeight

Jun 3, 2007
Finland
uhh...and somehow Dahlin's game will definitely translate well in NJ?

I didn’t say that, I just think he’s better with tons of potential.
I really doubt Buffalo would trade him for ”just” 4OA in this years uncertain draft anyway.

Nico Hughes

Jun 28, 2021
Id take Dahlin over Sergachev

Dahlin set records as a teenager on Buffalo - hes being shorted for an incredible feat before turning 21

Reactions: MakoSlade

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
I don’t think there is any way Dahlin is being moved. His timeline is what Buffalo will now mark to build around.

Saying that, I’d involve the 4th overall in a trade without hesitation. It would be how much more I had to give up that is the question.

Reactions: Guttersniped

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
I didn’t say that, I just think he’s better with tons of potential.
I really doubt Buffalo would trade him for ”just” 4OA in this years uncertain draft anyway.

That's what you were implying when you said you don't see Sergachev's game translating here but then just keep praising dahlin and think his crappy team is holding him back. There would be risk with both players in terms of "translating".

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
No way Buffalo moves Dahlin unless behind the scenes Dahlin has made it clear he does not want to play there.
Also pick #4 is not as bad as some people make it out to be but Dahlin is a way better piece than I see Hughes or Clarke being. I’m not saying that those two will not be good player but rather that Dahlin was picked 1st overall for a reason as has true elite 1d potential.
As far as Sergachev is concerned he is no where near Dahlins level . Serg is a very good D and still has potential but I’d rather go with Hughes or Clarke as I think they have a good chance of being better than Sergachev and we would have more years of team control over contract of Hughes / Clarke

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad