Prospect Info: Devils picking 4th Overall.

Who do the Devils pick?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I was speaking about our prospect pool.

Obviously wed prefer a defenseman but we need more high-end talent for the pool.. hell and the roster. Bratt Nico Jack are the only known first line commodities we have; so even if Hughes Clarke and Power are gone, and they dont like Edvinsson, id still take Eklund or Guenther before moving back

Though I think people are in for a surprise, because if those three dmen are off the board I wouldnt be shocked to find our we have Edvinsson up there and take him (my
Preference is Eklund if not Hughes)

I would be beyond unhappy if we passed on any of the high end forwards for Edvinsson. Could you imagine leaving Beniers or Eklund on the board at your pick to get Edvinsson? The rage would be great.

A Plus

Jun 20, 2021
New Jersey
I would be beyond unhappy if we passed on any of the high end forwards for Edvinsson. Could you imagine leaving Beniers or Eklund on the board at your pick to get Edvinsson? The rage would be great.
Im not exactly an Edvinsson fan either; but if the team is, then I have no choice but to be on board with it

my top-2 at #4 are Hughes and Eklund, though I realize Clarke is far more likely before Eklund as we need dmen and RH ones too.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
So who are some RHD we could be targeting in this draft, not just up top, but throughout?

A Plus

Jun 20, 2021
New Jersey
You draft Bemiers and have the deepest young center group in the league
Would we really choose a center if we rate him the same as a winger?

Unless we interviewed him and he said hes equally as comfortable on the wing; with Jack and Nico, this isnt the case

If Beniers can excel on the wing then Id take him, otherwise id focus on a winger

JK3

Go Easy-Step Lightly-Stay Free
Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
You guys need to relax. First its what if we drop to 5 or 6 and those guys aren’t there, now it’s what happens if Power, Clarke and Hughes are gone by the time we pick.

I doubt they’re all gone when we pick, we’re going to get a really solid player unless Fitz does something bat shit crazy.

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
You guys need to relax. First its what if we drop to 5 or 6 and those guys aren’t there, now it’s what happens if Power, Clarke and Hughes are gone by the time we pick.

I doubt they’re all gone when we pick, we’re going to get a really solid player unless Fitz does something bat shit crazy.

like draft edvinsson :)

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010

Relax? It was simply a hypothetical scenario that I was interested to hear thoughts on. It's not like anyone really thinks that will happen, but it's been the off-season for us for a while now. It's nice to find something Devils related to talk about.

Last edited:

thethinglonger

Castron & Crew
Dec 1, 2014
New Jersey
So who are some RHD we could be targeting in this draft, not just up top, but throughout?

If we're looking at RHD...

1st round pick (via NYI): two players that would likely be available would be Scott Morrow and Aleksi Heimosalmi. I have a feeling that Corson Ceulemans will be off the board by then, but he's another name to just keep in mind for that later pick.

2nd round pick (via NYI): I would say Brent Johnson and Roman Schmidt (although for some reason I see him as a MTL pick, but that's just a weird thought). I'd also throw in Dmitri Kostenko's name.

3rd and 4th round picks: I'm sure some teams will have these players ranked higher, but I'll include them here nonetheless... Vincent Iorio, Jack Bar, Oscar Plandowski, and Ryan Ufko. I'd also include Logan Mailloux here as well, but I could easily see him getting picked as early as the 2nd round.

Later rounds: Some other names (and I know I've left some out) would be Jake Martin, Ty Gallagher, Ruben Rafkin (Overager), Kyle Masters, Jack Matier, and Jonathan Myrenberg. A deep dive player that has a toolkit nearly bursting at the seams would be Bryce Montgomery.

Last edited:

LeedsMonster

Mar 8, 2008

1st round pick (via NYI): two players that would likely be available would be Scott Morrow and Aleksi Heimosalmi. I have a feeling that Corson Ceulemans will be off the board by then, but he's another name to just keep in mind for that later pick.

2nd round pick (via NYI): I would say Brent Johnson and Roman Schmidt (although for some reason I see him as a MTL pick, but that's just a weird thought). I'd also throw in Dmitri Kostenko's name.

3rd and 4th round picks: I'm sure some teams will have these players ranked higher, but I'll include them here nonetheless... Vincent Iorio, Jack Bar, Oscar Plandowski, and Ryan Ufko. I'd also include Logan Mailloux here as well, but I could easily see him getting picked as early as the 2nd round.

Later rounds: Some other names (and I know I've left some out) would be Jake Martin, Ty Gallagher, Ruben Rafkin (Overager), Kyle Masters, Jack Matier, and Jonathan Myrenberg. A deep dive player that has a toolkit nearly bursting at the seams would be Bryce Montgomery.
I REALLY hope we end up getting Montgomery.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010

The #'s look great on Ceulemans, both measurables and point totals. You could question the point totals given it was the AJHL, but he outproduced Clarke at the U-18's as well. Given the rankings it looks like he could be there when out our 2nd 1st rounder comes around. I guess the question here is skating?

As per Morrow, how often do prep school kids go in the first round? I do see he led the team in points which as a d-man is always noteworthy. Good size here as well.

Unfortuneatly I ran out of page views at Eliteprospects. Hopefully that refreshes daily.

Reactions: My3Sons

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
This is so far off base I don’t know where to start. I’m not even sure what you’re trying to argue.

It’s like aggregating data on college grad average career salary taking into account school, degree, gpa, major, etc. Then extrapolating a current student’s likely career salary after graduation based on the same information.

For example, a kid from Princeton with an engineering degree and a 3.8 gpa has a 70% chance of making in excess of $150,000 per year while the kid from Appalachian State with a political science degree and a 3.1 gpa has a 5% chance of making in excess of $150,000 per year.

It’s really not that hard to understand.
honestly i have never looked at bader's model.

but what i got out of this discussion, i can't say it's definitely a useful tool. player's mentioned as hits are kucherov, gaudreau, point and debrincat. as a miss i only saw gusev. the model seems to like small skilled players with production. if it was created to like them, than obviously it will do so and there is very little value to it, as most can identify those players without a model.

the value starts, if it does identify players of the same ink, as not going to be successful, when they actually don't pan out and if it also can correctly predict the career arc of a slavin type defenseman.

aboriginal

lou ****ing sucks
Mar 10, 2006
LV-426
The 4th overall should not be in f***ing play unless reading the proposed deal would make me grow ovaries so that it would blow both my balls and ovaries off. And if I was wearing socks, knock those off too. f*** that shit. Also I’m pretty sure the blackhawks thing should be sliiiiiiightly more important than his last thought.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
The 4th overall should not be in f***ing play unless reading the proposed deal would make me grow ovaries so that it would blow both my balls and ovaries off. And if I was wearing socks, knock those off too. f*** that shit. Also I’m pretty sure the blackhawks thing should be sliiiiiiightly more important than his last thought.

You have quite a way with unorthodox descriptive phrases.

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009

I don’t think the Devils are moving the 4th overall for Vince Dunn or Erik Cernak. It would be someone they value more than Hughes or Clarke.

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008

I would trade it for a promising young d-man, like sergachev. Much rather trade it for a RD though.

ninetyeight

Jun 3, 2007
Finland
I want no part in Sergachev, his value is extremely skewed right now because he's playing in the best team in the world. It would be very expensive and there's a chance parts of his defensive game could get exposed playing in a bad team with bad team mates.

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
I want no part in Sergachev, his value is extremely skewed right now because he's playing in the best team in the world. It would be very expensive and there's a chance parts of his defensive game could get exposed playing in a bad team with bad team mates.

There’s also chance that L Hughes, Brandt Clarke, Edvinsson, whoever…never even become NHL regulars.

Serg has a long enough track record to show he’s legit. Does playing on a strong team cover warts? Of course, but same can be said for literally anyone.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Yeah I totally disagree

Serg is one of the few players I would actually strongly consider moving 4th overall for.

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
Dahlin is basically the only player i'd consider trading the 4th overall for that's feasible imo. Dahlin's 2nd contract is coming up and Buffalo might have to trade him in 2 years anyway if he takes the 3 year + arbitration route. Maybe he signs an offer sheet that takes him to UFA and the clock on a Dahlin trade starts then. Buffalo is like 3 years away from being even interesting depending on what they get for Eichel I don't see him being a Sabre for life.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $1,214.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Sweden vs Germany
    Sweden vs Germany