Prospect Info: Devils picking 4th Overall.

Who do the Devils pick?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
What prospect Brandt Clarke's skating questions mean for the NHL team that drafts him

“But defensively, especially when going backward and pivoting, the team that drafts Clarke may need to plan for adjustments to his technique, and possibly tactics, in addition to strength.

But again, that’s going to be true (to varying degrees) about some part of the game for virtually every prospect in the draft. So if you’re looking for a window into the practical adjustments that come after a high draft pick is made, Clarke and his skating will be a good one to monitor in the coming years.”

Good article with lots of videos on Clarke’s skating.

I think if you did draft him you’d have to be comfortable your development staff could help him when skating backwards. His wide base is helpful at times so if he vary his base situationally then he’d really be cooking with fire.
Very shallowly based opinion here but given Smith is no skating whizz either, this to me is a bit of a red flag.

The word on Hughes(again, just going off reports) is he is a top skater, which makes me want him more.

Then again Smith was said to be a very good skater predraft, and that turned out to be incorrect.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
He has very limited offensive upside. If you hit on him, you’re probably getting a player like Ryan McDonagh.
I don't think this is accurate. If you want to say the possibility of him hitting his offensive ceiling is low, I can get behind that, but I don't think it is correct to say he has limited offensive upside.

And probably more like todays Ryan McDonagh and not the Rangers McDonagh that was a ~0.5 PPG guy. Still a really really good player but give me the upside of the others at 4OA
Today's Mcdonagh? I think that's a tough comparable for 2 reasons. 1)McDonagh is on a fantastic team. 2)McDonagh plays a very defensive oriented role. And maybe that balances out. But I think Edvinsson has much better upside then 20 points in a season. That can't be considered his upside. His baseline maybe.

Camille the Eel

Very shallowly based opinion here but given Smith is no skating whizz either, this to me is a bit of a red flag.

The word on Hughes(again, just going off reports) is he is a top skater, which makes me want him more.

Then again Smith was said to be a very good skater predraft, and that turned out to be incorrect.
They said pre draft that his skating held him back. Yet he skates quite well as to his edges and mobility - it’s only straight line speed he lacks.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
He's not an option for us. It's like 95% Hughes and the choice is between Hughes, Edvinsson, and Guenther.
So if Hughes is gone he thinks we go forward? Who knows, might be the right choice in the long run
Maybe Fitz has a plan in place already where we acquire a good forward or D like Hamilton for example and it changes our outlook on the draft ?
If we got Hamilton the need for a RHD diminishes somewhat

Last edited:

Camille the Eel

Today's Mcdonagh? I think that's a tough comparable for 2 reasons. 1)McDonagh is on a fantastic team. 2)McDonagh plays a very defensive oriented role. And maybe that balances out. But I think Edvinsson has much better upside then 20 points in a season. That can't be considered his upside. His baseline maybe.

McDonagh has played on nothing but winning teams and cup finalists. Two finals with NY right (or one?). And now likely two cups with Tampa.

As to defensive game, I always think of him as having been one of the first experts on the home run long ball stretch pass, on the long ball with the puck to get behind the defense. He did it for the Rags in an offense for Vigneault who deserves credit for redesigning the game to adapt to the fact that the two line pass was no longer offsides. The speed game after the rule change was largely Vigneault's doing. Anyway at least partly his. And McDonagh was his quarterback 0n the back line.

He's a pretty damn good player with the resume to prove it. I'd be happy if we got his equivalent.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
McDonagh has played on nothing but winning teams and cup finalists. Two finals with NY right (or one?). And now likely two cups with Tampa.

As to defensive game, I always think of him as having been one of the first experts on the home run long ball stretch pass, on the long ball with the puck to get behind the defense. He did it for the Rags in an offense for Vigneault who deserves credit for redesigning the game to adapt to the fact that the two line pass was no longer offsides. The speed game after the rule change was largely Vigneault's doing. Anyway at least partly his. And McDonagh was his quarterback 0n the back line.

He's a pretty damn good player with the resume to prove it. I'd be happy if we got his equivalent.
Was talking offensive upside, especially in comparison to recent career McDonagh, which can not be his offensive upside. Severson went in the 2nd round and is a pretty consistent 30+.

I think McDonagh is a top notch defensive d-man. Not trying to diminish that at all.

Reactions: Camille the Eel

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
So if Hughes is gone he thinks we go forward? Who knows, might be the right choice in the long run
Maybe Fitz has a plan in place already where we acquire a good forward or D like Hamilton for example and it changes our outlook on the draft ?
Edvinnson is a d-man.

Camille the Eel

Are we talking Smith? He lacks quickness and top end speed.

When I hear very good skater, I expect some quickness.
Right, top end speed he definitely lacks. Quickness, mobility and agility, I don’t know. Skating is definitely not his great strength though. Nor is size. He isn’t the number one to anchor us for years to come. But he’s going to be a fine second pair guy. Is Nashville’s Ellis a possible comparison?

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
i don't think hamilton is a realistic option in free agency.
to pry him away from carolina or other contenders it will take an overpayment, which could easily end up as an albatross contract in the last two years.

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
Is Clarke's skating really that questionable as people are writing?

Yes. Watch video. It was the first thing that jumped out at me before the skating reports from scouts even started to surface. He’s a very unconventional/awkward skater.

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
Pronman also said two hours before taking Nico we were heavily leaning Makar.

In fairness to Pronman, that is very possible. We have no way of knowing if there was a strong contingent in the front office pushing for Makar with Nico winning by a thing margin the night before the draft. Who knows.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille