Prospect Info: Devils Picking 4th Overall, Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
TSN has Hughes way down at 8 based on their consensus. In terms of players with votes for 2nd in the class according to TSN the following players got votes Beniers (4 Votes), Edvinsson (3 votes), Guenther, McTavish and Eklund each got 1 vote.

My fear of reaching for Luke Hughes is gaining, to the point where I’m not sure I’ll be overly excited in selecting him.

mcTavish to me is tantalizing with his size and shot

McKenzie himself says that the 2-9 group is very close based on the responses he got. Taking Cole Sillinger at #4 would be a reach, but taking Luke Hughes at #4 wouldn't be. Sometimes we get into Spinal Tap "these goes to 11" territory with the rankings. The difference between #4 and #8 isn't necessarily the same at #8 and #12.

There's always a bit of recency bias with the rankings. Hughes missed the U18s due to injury, so that didn't give him a chance to make a final impression.

On a related note, Bob won't be doing the draft broadcast for the first time in 18 years. So it looks like he's tweeting nuggets of info (possibly while having a margarita). Namely that he thinks the top 5 will consist of 3F and 2D.

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
With 3f and 2d (with knowing that Power and Beniers are probably going 1-2)
and looking at fanduel's odds, two ways to get 3 forwards and 2 defenseman

1 - Power
2 - Beniers
3 - Guenther (Fanduel has him at +105 for 3rd overall pick)
4 - Hughes (Fanduel has him at -125 for the 4th overall pick)
5 - Mctavish (Fanduel has him at +170 for the 5th overall pick)

The other way then would be

1 - Power
2 - Beniers
3 - Guenther
4 - Eklund (Fanduel has him at +195 for the 4th overall pick which is higher than any other spot for Eklund)
5 - Edvinsson (Fanduel has him at +125 for the 5th overall pick)

Reactions: StevenToddIves

The 29th Pick

Still Alive !
Dec 7, 2007
Northvale N.J.

McKenzie himself says that the 2-9 group is very close based on the responses he got. Taking Cole Sillinger at #4 would be a reach, but taking Luke Hughes at #4 wouldn't be. Sometimes we get into Spinal Tap "these goes to 11" territory with the rankings. The difference between #4 and #8 isn't necessarily the same at #8 and #12.

There's always a bit of recency bias with the rankings. Hughes missed the U18s due to injury, so that didn't give him a chance to make a final impression.

On a related note, Bob won't be doing the draft broadcast for the first time in 18 years. So it looks like he's tweeting nuggets of info (possibly while having a margarita). Namely that he thinks the top 5 will consist of 3F and 2D.

I had to!
200.gif

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
With 3f and 2d (with knowing that Power and Beniers are probably going 1-2)
and looking at fanduel's odds, two ways to get 3 forwards and 2 defenseman

1 - Power
2 - Beniers
3 - Guenther (Fanduel has him at +105 for 3rd overall pick)
4 - Hughes (Fanduel has him at -125 for the 4th overall pick)
5 - Mctavish (Fanduel has him at +170 for the 5th overall pick)

The other way then would be

1 - Power
2 - Beniers
3 - Guenther
4 - Eklund (Fanduel has him at +195 for the 4th overall pick which is higher than any other spot for Eklund)
5 - Edvinsson (Fanduel has him at +125 for the 5th overall pick)

I feel Beniers is a lock for the top 3 and McTavish for the top 5, but I that third forward could be even odds for Eklund or Guenther.

SYWTom

Dec 10, 2016
I’m not against the Hughes pick and obviously I’ll support the team as I have through good and bad. But it’s hard not to think of Luke Hughes as a pick to make Jack happy especially with Jacks comments about it.

gotta admit it would feel that way, at least a little bit

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
I’m not against the Hughes pick and obviously I’ll support the team as I have through good and bad. But it’s hard not to think of Luke Hughes as a pick to make Jack happy especially with Jacks comments about it.

it would definitely feel that way, but hopefully he's more of a player than rob neidermayer was (if we get him)

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey

The thing is we need a defenseman and if it's a dynamic offensive defenseman that's all the better, even without Jack on the team he checks all the boxes.

Comparison Ford

i got a star
Sponsor
May 25, 2008
LA
I'm hoping for L'Heureux or Othmann at #28 -- the Devils need more sandpaper and goal-scoring ability at wing. I'd also be thrilled with Rosen -- he might have more pure offensive upside than all the forwards who are surefire top 10 picks. I suppose my ultimate dream would be if Carson Lambos fell -- in my opinion, he could potentially wind up the best defenseman from the entire 2021 draft.

I would absolutely love L'Heureux but with the way GMs are overpaying big physical players this offseason, i dont think hes gonna get past the 20th overall selection tomorrow.

Buck Dancer

Jul 13, 2021
Yes.

I'm not saying McTavish is better -- I have Eklund ranked higher in my Top 96 rankings. But I feel McTavish fills more of a Devils need -- which is a physical forward who plays a heavy game and can snipe.

Though the Devils have a ton of talent in the pipeline, they have no center or LW (McTavish can play either position) who is a "true goal-scorer" aside from perhaps Nolan Foote. They also lack any sort of power forward/net-crasher aside from perhaps Dawson Mercer.

I'm a huge fan of Eklund and would be thrilled to see him in a Devils sweater, but he would be another cog (albeit an outstanding cog) in the wheel, whereas McTavish would redefine that wheel, adding a whole new dimension. I feel an elite hockey line combines multiple elements, as with MacKinnon/Landeskog/Rantanen or Bergeron/Pastrnak/Marchand instead of simply having three great scorers. The Devils simply lack players who have opposing defensemen looking over their shoulders, the Devils rarely score goals off netfront battles, and the Devils are weaker on the cycle than almost any team in the NHL.

McTavish is more than just a power forward, he's also terrific defensively and a stud on either the PP or PK. I also feel Eklund is an all-situations, two-way player and, to be honest, I think he will have more total points potential than McTavish. But I feel McTavish will score more goals and make the Devils far more difficult to play against.

Fitzgerald has to realize the Devils need for more pushback and physicality up and down the line-up. The loss of Bastian does not help, although Bastian is clearly a bottom 6 forward and not a long-term answer as a franchise core piece. I feel McTavish would be precisely this.

Those are all valid points, thanks for the info.

If we need some more sandpaper and we’re thinking of taking a forward with our pick, I’d send it to Calgary with Zacha and whatever else for Tkatchuk.

It'll never happen but that would be my dream scenario for tomorrow around 8:20’ish.

Reactions: Guadana

SYWTom

Dec 10, 2016
The thing is we need a defenseman and if it's a dynamic offensive defenseman that's all the better, even without Jack on the team he checks all the boxes.

but from what I read that would be Clarke, where as Hughes is more of a transition player and not pure offensive skill like Brandt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad