Prospect Info: Devils Picking 4th Overall, Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
No, I was just showing the highest odds for each position at each slot because Mckenzie was guessing that there would be 3 forwards and 2 dman in the top 5.

The 3rd overall slot is actually at:
Guenther +105
Eklund +300
Beniers +550
Clarke +600
Mctavish +750
Hughes +950

Obviously this could change too because Anaheim might trade this pick to Buffalo for Eichel.
I would put money on McTavish, that's some nice odds.

SJinNewJersey

Every single one of us, the devil inside
Dec 21, 2017
New Jersey
I still want Clarke and think he's the best fit for the Devs, However, I am coming to the realization that if Hughes is there when we pick, that's who the Devs are going with.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Kournianos is a person with complexes, problems and resentments. I can't comment on the words of a person with a problematic psyche and impostor syndrome.

Is that why you won’t respond to my posts? I’ll have you know all my posts are posted by me and not an imposter. The petty resentments and problematic psyche I will say it depends upon if you speak to my wife and kids and dogs or maybe some people who have never met me.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Is that why you won’t respond to my posts? I’ll have you know all my posts are posted by me and not an imposter. The petty resentments and problematic psyche I will say it depends upon if you speak to my wife and kids and dogs or maybe some people who have never met me.
I'm sorry if I haven't answered your messages somewhere. Your case of mental disorders does not repel me at all.
I have to do a lot of content before the draft for Russian Devils fans, I don't have enough time,In real life, I have a pretty hard job besides hockey =-D If I miss some of your post, sorry, man, I'm ashamed. U r the best.
The last time I talked to a dog, I misunderstood her. At least that's what my psychiatrist told me. "She just barks, Guadana". I don't believe him, 'll find a new one.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
Totally fine with Hughes, Clarke, Eklund, Guenther or Beniers.

Just hope all these picks from the last few years result in a juggernaut and none of them are Cam Barker-type of misses.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Totally fine with Hughes, Clarke, Eklund, Guenther or Beniers.

Just hope all these picks from the last few years result in a juggernaut and none of them are Cam Barker-type of misses.

I’m with the other 4 but I don’t want Guenther

My3Sons

Sponsor
If I was given asylum roommates to choose for myself, I would definitely choose My3sons.

No way I’d ever want to be in a padded room with that guy. I know from an unimpeachable source that he’s got multiple personality disorder. No he doesn’t! Yes he does! No he doesn’t! Shut up who asked you anyway!!

My3Sons

Sponsor
I hope you are all together for Edvinsson?

I don’t do enough personal research on the prospects to have a firm opinion. I listen to all of you folks on here that watch the young players. I would be fine with whoever the team takes ultimately. They know more than me. My preference would be the team takes all right hand defenders since we have so few. I realize that’s silly. My guess is they take Hughes if he is there but if they took Edvinsson I’d be fine if that’s who they think will pan out for them. For what it is worth Edvinsson sounds like the sort of player they have been trying to add on defense (big frame, long reach, good skater, some physicality, and solid tools for a balanced game). That said he may be a bit similar to guys like Mukhamadullin and Bahl and Vukojevic so it might make more sense to go in another direction. That’s too much effort to get too attached to any one player so I’m open to all the prospects.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
I don’t do enough personal research on the prospects to have a firm opinion. I listen to all of you folks on here that watch the young players. I would be fine with whoever the team takes ultimately. They know more than me. My preference would be the team takes all right hand defenders since we have so few. I realize that’s silly. My guess is they take Hughes if he is there but if they took Edvinsson I’d be fine if that’s who they think will pan out for them. For what it is worth Edvinsson sounds like the sort of player they have been trying to add on defense (big frame, long reach, good skater, some physicality, and solid tools for a balanced game). That said he may be a bit similar to guys like Mukhamadullin and Bahl and Vukojevic so it might make more sense to go in another direction. That’s too much effort to get too attached to any one player so I’m open to all the prospects.

And Graves and Siegenthaler and Misyul and Okhotyuk. They've overloaded on that type

Reactions: nugg and My3Sons

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
If by some miracle they know they can sign Hamilton would Fitz then go forward with pick #4 ?
Only way they can is a sign and trade with Carolina correct ?

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018

McKenzie himself says that the 2-9 group is very close based on the responses he got. Taking Cole Sillinger at #4 would be a reach, but taking Luke Hughes at #4 wouldn't be. Sometimes we get into Spinal Tap "these goes to 11" territory with the rankings. The difference between #4 and #8 isn't necessarily the same at #8 and #12.

There's always a bit of recency bias with the rankings. Hughes missed the U18s due to injury, so that didn't give him a chance to make a final impression.

On a related note, Bob won't be doing the draft broadcast for the first time in 18 years. So it looks like he's tweeting nuggets of info (possibly while having a margarita). Namely that he thinks the top 5 will consist of 3F and 2D.

I think Sillinger is really underrated while McTavish gets to ride his U18 performance. I see Sillinger as one of the best prospects in the draft and I also see the Flyers getting him and that would be incredibly annoying.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
If by some miracle they know they can sign Hamilton would Fitz then go forward with pick #4 ?

I wouldn't let it really affect the pick. If what Pronman said about it being Hughes, Guenther, Edvinsson is true then I'm still going with Hughes over Guenther. If that isn't true and Eklund/Beniers are there then I'm fine with that

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA

Carolina has given Hamilton's camp permission to speak to other teams

so if NJ is really in on him, which Friedman says we are, its possible that they could reach a deal at any point

Regardless, I think 4th overall should be Hughes or Clarke.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Watch Buffalo take McTavish No. 1
His hair is certainly worthy of the honor.
E6483FD0-FEED-46D1-B699-BC749E9751EE.jpeg

Reactions: Forge

Its Always Sundstrom

Among the optimists.
Sponsor
Dec 1, 2019
Land of Hope & Cups.
Luke Hughes has a better passing/puckhandling combination than Owen Power or Simon Edvinsson, as well as being the far-and-away best skater of the three. Though Edvinsson's puckhandling is very close to Hughes, his passing/vision his not even in the same stratosphere. Though Power passes very well and far better than Edvinsson as well, his puckhandling is not comparable to either of the other two.

So, why is Luke Hughes generally ranked behind Power and equivalent to Edvinsson? I would say that comes down quite clearly to their defense and play without the puck. He's not even close to the other two defensively. Though Power would benefit from another year of amateur hockey, he could play passable defense as a third-pairing guy in the NHL right now. Meanwhile, Edvinsson plays physical, high-compete defense, and although he has his warts, this quality combined with his speed and immense wing-span make him a constant force in the defensive zone. Luke Hughes is admittedly very problematic in the defensive zone -- as well as prone to turnovers which lead to high-danger chances against.

The hope is that Luke will learn to pick his spots better to limit his turnovers -- he is a smart player with high-end vision, which leads to hope in this respect. The fact that he is almost a full year younger than Power and Edvinsson lends hope to the fact that he has a higher learning curve defensively. But I would caution that the idea an offensive defenseman can be taught defense has largely proven to be myth. In fact, there are more NHL defensemen who did not produce at the amateur level who learned to be productive offensively than the other way around.

However, no one is asking Luke Hughes to be Jake Slavin. The hope is that Luke becomes an above-average defender to go along with being a 50+ or even 60+ point force from the back-end. I do think it is very realistic for Luke to grow into a passable defender who mostly takes care of business in his own zone with a few quirks -- he's not a complete horror show back there a la Poirier or Grans in the 2020 draft.

Does Hughes have 50-60 pt potential? I always thought he was more 30-40 but with great skating and transition game. I thought Clarke was the 50-60 guy hence me being more of a Clarkebar guy than a Hughes-Clues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad