Prospect Info: Devils Picking 4th Overall, Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

NJ Fan 12

Jun 23, 2020
Didn't know how to transfer poll over, but was just wondering why Mason McTavish has received so little attention in this discussion.

Was it just assumed that he'd be taken before the Devils pick? If not, it's hard to imagine the Devils not giving him some serious consideration.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Didn't know how to transfer poll over, but was just wondering why Mason McTavish has received so little attention in this discussion.

Was it just assumed that he'd be taken before the Devils pick? If not, it's hard to imagine the Devils not giving him some serious consideration.
McTavish is a late riser, he was 11th in McKenzie’s last ranking but he might move up. He would be bit of a reach, he does feel like he could end up a bottom six forward, but I do like him. Don’t see us taking him at 4th.

Some of the buzz is coming from the lack of true centers beyond Beniers which is less of an issue for the Devils and big issue for some other teams, particularly if they don’t see Eklund or Johnson as a center. I’m not sure McTavish stays at center either in the NHL but he does have a shot with his two-way game.

Last edited:

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007

I'm only open to using the 4th overall on a forward if Power/Clarke/Hughes are all gone, and if that's the case it would be Beniers. The Devils have only one under 24 player on D that is a surefire NHLer (Ty Smith), they need d prospects in particular high end D prospects very badly.

Nico Hughes

Jun 28, 2021
I'm only open to using the 4th overall on a forward if Power/Clarke/Hughes are all gone, and if that's the case it would be Beniers. The Devils have only one under 24 player on D that is a surefire NHLer (Ty Smith), they need d prospects in particular high end D prospects very badly.
If those three defenseman are gone, Id look to them taking either Edvinsson or Eklund

if they think Edvinsson is in that tier of dmen than take him. However with Beniers I dont see a natural fit, and while you dont draft for immediate need.. I think we can all agree Jack and Nico will still be here as our top-6 centers in 5-7 years so.

plus I have Eklund as the best forward in the draft (aka the best out of Guenther Johnson Beniers Lysell and MacTavish, cause idk anyone past the top-10 lol)

NJ Fan 12

Jun 23, 2020

Drafting for the future based on the composition of the current roster doesn't necessarily end well. If the Devils are to improve in 2021-22 and beyond they will need better defensemen in their mid 20's (or older); none of whom will come through the draft.

If the defensemen available in the draft aren't better than other players that are available there is no need to select them. Conversely, if players in other positions, even a goalie like Walstedt, is clearly superior to the other players in their respective position, that could be a better way to go.

Reactions: NjdevilfanJim

NjdevilfanJim

Jan 26, 2020

See your point but this draft is deep defensively and Wallstedt should get more consideration as well for you build from goal out....Not to mention we could get a top prospect at wing.....Trading down for more picks should be on the table imo

Reactions: Tony Piscotta

AusDev

Jan 13, 2015

I would love to end up with McTavish. I can see how others might have some reservations though given:
1) Some people project him as a center long term which isn't really a need for us. Most folks want one of the Dmen, or if not, a winger;
2) He's such a late riser that I can understand why people wouldn't feel comfortable with him at #4. If you were going for a forward there, people would probably feel a lot safer with Guenther or Eklund (assuming Beniers is gone). Given the other guys that will be available at #4, he probably only gets a look in if we ended up trading back to the 6-10 range, which a lot of people also wouldn't want to do.

I love the player though. Tenacious, driven, strong and physical, and one of the best goal scorers in the draft.

Last edited:

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Clarke\Edvinsson\... Hughes.
Devils hacve a lot of forwards. Most of them are in roster. Devils must draft defenseman. Because defensemen development is a longer thing than forwards. Shero`s(and Lou) biggest mistake was drafting Zacha and Mcleod when there were a lot of defensive options. They can develop every time they need and after that devils could draft impact forwards.
OK. We have what we have. Time to draft defensemen. Teams without great and strong defensive lines svck. When playoff will start, our playmakers will not help.

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
The more I watch and read about Clarke…the more it solidifies my first choice is Hughes.

I wouldn’t be upset with Clarke and I’d probably be optimistically excited. But to my eyes, I’m firmly on the side of “there are legitimate skating concerns.” I think his skating may get exposed at higher levels. If Hughes is gone, I also wouldn’t be opposed to Eklund or Guenther over Clarke at 4 (assuming Power and Beniers are already gone)

Reactions: Hisch13r

MachoDiablo

Mar 12, 2012
Jersey City
I definitely would like a top defensive prospect with the pick, but I’m not going to complain if they go forward. Yes, our system is already forward-rich and needs blue line help, but you can never have enough talent regardless of what position it’s at, since if worse comes to worst you can always trade from a position of strength to beef up an area of weakness.

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
The more I watch and read about Clarke…the more it solidifies my first choice is Hughes.

I wouldn’t be upset with Clarke and I’d probably be optimistically excited. But to my eyes, I’m firmly on the side of “there are legitimate skating concerns.” I think his skating may get exposed at higher levels. If Hughes is gone, I also wouldn’t be opposed to Eklund or Guenther over Clarke at 4 (assuming Power and Beniers are already gone)
As bad as we need D, Eklund is going to be a dynamic player. I would not complain if we took him IF Luke was gone.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
I have been all over the place with who I want at 4. It was Power at first but changed to Hughes . Since then it has gone back and forth between Clarke and Hughes . I guess I am set on a D but if those two(Hughes Clarke) D are gone then of course I’d like Eklund Benier or Geunther.
I’m still hung up on taking Cossa with the Islanders pick but he will be gone by then. That is only if someone like Lambos and Cuelemon was still there (that was when the Islanders pick still could have been 19-20th )

NJ DevLolz

The Many Saints of Newark
Sep 30, 2017
Ecstatic: Power/Beniers

Happy: Hughes/Clarke/Eklund

Lukewarm: Edvinsson/Guenther/Johnson

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Ecstatic: Hughes, Beniers, Eklund

Happy: Lysell, Clarke

Idk: Wallstedt

Meh: Power

Unhappy: Anyone else

Reactions: TheDuke93

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal

McTavish is a late riser, he was 11th in McKenzie’s last ranking but he might move up. He would be bit of a reach, he does feel like he could end up a bottom six forward, but I do like him. Don’t see us taking him at 4th.

Some of the buzz is coming from the lack of true centers beyond Beniers which is less of an issue for the Devils and big issue for some other teams, particularly if they don’t see Eklund or Johnson as a center. I’m not sure McTavish stays at center either in the NHL but he does have a shot with his two-way game.

McTavish is a late riser due to limited games in 2021 and many scouts don't want to put a lot of stock in McTavish because they weren't able to scout him in person in the Swiss League (Switzerland men's 2nd tier, also known as NL-B). He only got 13 regular season Swiss League games and 4 playoff Swiss League games, where his team swept for the win. Playoffs cut short because he wanted to participate in the WJC-18, where he played 7 games. To many scouts, the WJC-18 in Texas is the first time they've seen McTavish play in person to scout. It's doubtful many scouted McTavish in the Swiss league as he was already a projected first round prospect in his D-1 year, later first round projections, iirc.

To give perspective on McTavish would be to compare apples to apples. Othmann is a fellow Canadian OHL draft eligible forward who played in the Swiss League in 2021 and played on the same team with McTavish. Difference is Othmann was able to get to the Swiss league in November of 2020, but McTavish was held up due to passport/visa reasons and finally made his way in February to the Swiss League. Othmann was considered a first round pick before the season started.

LeagueSeasonGames GA PtsPPG
OthmannNL-BRegular3479160.47
McTavishNL-BRegular1392110.85
OthmannNL-BPlayoffs41120.50
McTavishNL-BPlayoffs42571.75
OthmannWJC-1873360.86
McTavishWJC-18756111.57
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Central Scouting, NA has him ranked #2. Elite Prospects have him ranked #5. There are many online scouts that cite a huge development growth between his D-1. It's these scouts that are pushing McTavish's stock up very high whereas some scouts don't think highly such as Dobber Prospects have him ranked 29th, which can be seen on McTavish's elite prospect's page. Yet, Cam Robinson of Dobber Prospects has McTavish ranked #2 on his rankings.

Where McTavish lands all depends on which scouting report(s) you follow. Some will see him only as a bottom-6 forward. Some as a winger b/c of skating concerns. Others will love him. Here's a podcast with Mitch Brown of Elite Prospects, who is in love with McTavish.

-1:02:14 mark: Talks about 2022 and 2023 guys; Best scorers of WJC and mentions McTavish
-0:52:00 mark: "best point getter" = Eklund love
-0:50:26 mark: "best shooters"; McTavish is the only true "dual threat"
-0:49:06 mark: "guy that does it all" = McTavish love
-0:39:18 mark: More McTavish deep dive.​

One other bit of info, mynhldraft.com has McTavish projected to go 5th overall to Columbus and Othmann going 27th to Colorado. I suppose reach is in the eye of the beholder... or scout(s) you follow.

Just food for thought because the draft is a long ways away.

NjdevilfanJim

Jan 26, 2020
Clarke\Edvinsson\... Hughes.
Devils hacve a lot of forwards. Most of them are in roster. Devils must draft defenseman. Because defensemen development is a longer thing than forwards. Shero`s(and Lou) biggest mistake was drafting Zacha and Mcleod when there were a lot of defensive options. They can develop every time they need and after that devils could draft impact forwards.
OK. We have what we have. Time to draft defensemen. Teams without great and strong defensive lines svck. When playoff will start, our playmakers will not help.

You draft who is best player not by need....All three have holes in their game as well....Your right we should have drafted Charlie Mac but just because we didn't doesn't mean you draft one of the three defenseman....Look at the playoff team's goaltending is solid as well....

NjdevilfanJim

Jan 26, 2020
The Rangers and Islanders are set with Sorokin and Shesty Mack hasn't shown he's consistent yet or a true number one....Wallstedt should be considered if anything to lock down that positions depth for the next 10 15 years between him and Mack and Dawes

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
The Rangers and Islanders are set with Sorokin and Shesty Mack hasn't shown he's consistent yet or a true number one....Wallstedt should be considered if anything to lock down that positions depth for the next 10 15 years between him and Mack and Dawes

Not at 4th

Reactions: AusDev

MachoDiablo

Mar 12, 2012
Jersey City
Have Sorokin or Shesterkin really shown any more than Mac?
I’d only say insofar as they had seasons this year that weren’t marred by COVID outbreaks and having their schedules condensed to hell and back. Those factors obviously weren’t Mac’s fault, but it does make it a little tougher to project him for next season given that we haven’t really seen a full (or at least something resembling full) season out of him yet that can tell us what we really have in him.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
You draft who is best player not by need....All three have holes in their game as well....Your right we should have drafted Charlie Mac but just because we didn't doesn't mean you draft one of the three defenseman....Look at the playoff team's goaltending is solid as well....

Yeah "BPA not need" old story. Who is BPA? small skilled offensive first forward like Eklund or good skater puck mover with defensive lack like Hughes? You draft BPA when it is obvious choice. When it`s not - you draft for needs.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I will be happy with any defenseman at #4

I will be over the moon with D at #4 and #29. I think this is the draf to do it.

That would change the D prospect pool immediately... with #20 last year, #4 and #29 this year you should come away with the makings of a solid D corp in 3 to 5 years.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
I found decision. If Power, Clarke and Hughes were gone - Beniers is still available. Than we trade 4th pick for Sanderson+ their pick. Ottawa`s biggest need is center. We take Sanderson and draft Ceulemans. Sanderson is better skater than Clarke, better defenseman than Hughes and better puckmover than Edvinsson, and he is closer to our core. Thanks to me. I`m GM of the Year. Lou, give me back my trophy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille