Prospect Info: Devils Picking 4th Overall, Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
but from what I read that would be Clarke, where as Hughes is more of a transition player and not pure offensive skill like Brandt.
From what I've read, Clarke is better defensively too. Playing in the Slovakian league where you don't get ice time on D unless you're defensively responsible probably helped that. The only concern seems to be whether his skating reduces his effectiveness at the NHL level, although there seems to be a large variance in opinions on that.

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
but from what I read that would be Clarke, where as Hughes is more of a transition player and not pure offensive skill like Brandt.
Brandt is more like Ty Smith, he does have skill but no defensemen in this draft has more pure offensive skill than Hughes IMO.

GeNeXt

Jul 5, 2012
Brandt is more like Ty Smith, he does have skill but no defensemen in this draft has more pure offensive skill than Hughes IMO.

I am on team Hughes, but I think it's more like no defensemen has the skating skills/tools that Luke does. Brandt has near elite level offensive skills. If Luke were to have offensive skills on par with Brandt, he'd likely be the undisputed #1oa.

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
I am on team Hughes, but I think it's more like no defensemen has the skating skills/tools that Luke does. Brandt has near elite level offensive skills. If Luke were to have offensive skills on par with Brandt, he'd likely be the undisputed #1oa.
That's fair to say, either way they're both fantastic offensive defensemen, we couldn't go wrong either way.

Reactions: My3Sons

A Devils Fan

Nov 17, 2019
From what I've read, Clarke is the real "offensive defenseman" type. Scouting reports talk up his IQ, his hands, and his vision. You also see plenty of blurbs about his work ethic and how his defense isn't a big concern despite his supposedly weak skating and focus on offense. If anything, Hughes is the player that seems to draw more questions about his defense. But I feel like, stylistically, Hughes has the higher floor. He's more often described as a two-way player with elite skating, and not someone that will mainly be relied on to put up points. I have no problem with the Devils taking either player, at this point.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Steve Kournianos just ranked Edvinsson at #22, one slot behind fellow Team Sweden D Anton Olsson. This is the lowest I've seen him ranked, and I've taken some heat (looking at you, @Guadana buddy!) for ranking him at #18.

But NHL scouts love big & fast -- and Edvinsson has the best combination of that along with Power and Hughes. Power is ranked higher because he's more polished defensively than Edvinsson and far more talented offensively, while I'd say Edvinsson is held in higher regard because he plays far bigger than Hughes, who is not nearly as physical or competitive in the defensive zone.

I absolutely agree that this year there will be more disparity in the draft boards from team to team than any year in recent memory.

Kournianos is a person with complexes, problems and resentments. I can't comment on the words of a person with a problematic psyche and impostor syndrome.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
I’m team “ at this point I don’t care as long as he is a 1D “
I have gone back and forth between Hughes Clarke Edvinsson and now I’m questioning if someone like Lambos or Ceuleman (spelling?)or even a Svozil Hamandsalami may end up being the best D man from the draft 5 years from now .
Doubtful it’s the last two but who the hell knows.
Just sign Hamilton for eleven-teen million thousand dollars and we don’t have to worry as much about the pick hitting 1d potential .

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
Meh I think Clarke would out produce Hughes . Just points / scoring I’m not saying who the better pick is as I have no damn clue but I think Clarke has unreal hockey IQ and hands when it comes to offence .

Reactions: nugg

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
Meh I think Clarke would out produce Hughes . Just points / scoring I’m not saying who the better pick is as I have no damn clue but I think Clarke has unreal hockey IQ and hands when it comes to offence .
I see them at the same level points wise, but if I had to go with one I might go with Hughes just because he's only played 46 games over the past two seasons, I think with more playing time the better his game will shine, but it's really all a crapshoot due to the pandemic. Another factor is how young Hughes is, he won't turn 18 till fall.

It's a shame we can't draft both.

Reactions: My3Sons

Buck Dancer

Jul 13, 2021

Well you have articles that are dating from the month of April, 3 guys nobody heard of and Pronman.

I’m not saying he’d be a horrible pick at #4 but acting as if he’s this can’t miss, no brainer prospect and there’s no other option to consider is wrong IMO.

We’ll just agree to disagree, that’s all.

Buck Dancer

Jul 13, 2021

And if Clarke had Luke’s skating he’d be the undisputed #1 pick.

Everyone is missing a little something that someone else has ;)

Reactions: GeNeXt

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Don't hold back man, let us know how you really feel lol
I did make sweden 1-8 canada review before, game where Edvinsson was lookin great and i pretty clearly explain why. Right in this moment I`m makin a review of the 1-12 game. I specifically take games where Edvinsson's team lost loudly. So that makes the contract more visible. There are many opinions I disagree and it is not difficult for me to explain this. But the final review of such a game will say more than anything.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lou is God

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
Well you have articles that are dating from the month of April, 3 guys nobody heard of and Pronman.

I’m not saying he’d be a horrible pick at #4 but acting as if he’s this can’t miss, no brainer prospect and there’s no other option to consider is wrong IMO.

Only one is from April, two are from this week and I've heard of Brennan Klak and they're not only the ones, someone posted for you an aggregate rankings that has him at #5: 2021 NHL Draft Aggregate

And don't words in my mouth, I never said anything like was written in the bold, I even said this to YOU earlier today:

@Devils son but that's not saying you can't be right about Hughes, this is a draft where no player is a sure thing (most especially Hughes), they all have potential to underwhelm us, I'm just questioning your logic coming to this conclusion.

Outside of this we're good bro. Go Devils.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
I need a no bs answer. FanDuel you can get who goes at 4. Hughes is -125. Draft kings has Luke picked under 4.5 at -110.

first is he going under 4.5 and second any chance ducks or kraken take him at 2 3

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
I need a no bs answer. FanDuel you can get who goes at 4. Hughes is -125. Draft kings has Luke picked under 4.5 at -110.

first is he going under 4.5 and second any chance ducks or kraken take him at 2 3
I don't do FanDuel or any of those but I would put $10 on Eklund going #1 just for shit and giggles, odds got to be high and Sabres do love him.

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
I feel Beniers is a lock for the top 3 and McTavish for the top 5, but I that third forward could be even odds for Eklund or Guenther.
yeah they have Power -1100 to be the #1 pick and Beniers at -300 to be the #2 pick. After that is where it gets murky a bit but for the 3rd spot they have Guenther at +105 and the next closest is Eklund at +300 so yeah Eklund being the Ducks pick wouldn't be a crazy surprise.

Bob's guess is 3 forwards and 2 dman in the top 5 and so here are the favored (from fanduel) for each position at each slot.

1st overall:
Dman - Power (-1100)
Forward - Beniers (+500)

2nd overall:
Dman - Clarke (+1100)
Forward - Beniers (-300)

3rd overall:
Dman - Clarke (+600)
Forward - Guenther (+105)

4th overall:
Dman - Hughes(-125)
Forward - Eklund (+195)

5th overall
Dman - Edvinsson (+125)
Forward - McTavish (+170)

mort4345

Jun 22, 2017

Button has the Devils picking McTavish at No. 4 so the Hughes-Clarke debate has been rendered moot.

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Button has the Devils picking McTavish at No. 4 so the Hughes-Clarke debate has been rendered moot.

lol We're not picking McTavish. If anything it was rendered moot when Pronman said we're between Hughes, Guenther, and Edvinsson but it's 95% Hughes

Buck Dancer

Jul 13, 2021
I understand he’s a great prospect but it just seems that some are kind of pushing Hughes on us because it’s the easy, feel good, story of the draft.

Reactions: JK3

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
yeah they have Power -1100 to be the #1 pick and Beniers at -300 to be the #2 pick. After that is where it gets murky a bit but for the 3rd spot they have Guenther at +105 and the next closest is Eklund at +300 so yeah Eklund being the Ducks pick wouldn't be a crazy surprise.

Bob's guess is 3 forwards and 2 dman in the top 5 and so here are the favored (from fanduel) for each position at each slot.

1st overall:
Dman - Power (-1100)
Forward - Beniers (+500)

2nd overall:
Dman - Clarke (+1100)
Forward - Beniers (-300)

3rd overall:
Dman - Clarke (+600)
Forward - Guenther (+105)

4th overall:
Dman - Hughes(-125)
Forward - Eklund (+195)

5th overall
Dman - Edvinsson (+125)
Forward - McTavish (+170)
The odds makers have Clarke going to Ducks over any of the remaining forwards? That surprises me as most people are projecting Ducks to go forward and it's between Guenther and McTavish. Interesting.

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
The odds makers have Clarke going to Ducks over any of the remaining forwards? That surprises me as most people are projecting Ducks to go forward and it's between Guenther and McTavish. Interesting.
No, I was just showing the highest odds for each position at each slot because Mckenzie was guessing that there would be 3 forwards and 2 dman in the top 5.

The 3rd overall slot is actually at:
Guenther +105
Eklund +300
Beniers +550
Clarke +600
Mctavish +750
Hughes +950

Obviously this could change too because Anaheim might trade this pick to Buffalo for Eichel.

Reactions: Lou is God

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
No, I was just showing the highest odds for each position at each slot.

The 3rd overall slot is actually at:
Guenther +105
Eklund +300
Beniers +550
Clarke +600
Mctavish +750
Hughes +950

Obviously this could change too because Anaheim might trade this pick to Buffalo for Eichel.

I doubt that happens but I hope it does because I'd rather Eklund be off the board already so I don't have to feel bad about passing on him

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad