Devils 2017-18 team discussion (player news and notes) VIII - Postseason Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jets012

Oct 19, 2015
Lovejoy in his current role with Butcher is the least of our problems. He's been fine and Butcher holds more of the responsibilites on that pairing and Lovejoy just does what he has to do. One of Mueller/Moore have to come out for Severson. I'd prefer Moore to come out, but it's probably gonna be Mueller.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Lovejoy's inability to make a breakout pass was a gigantic game 1 problem .

It was clear as day too. His shortcomings lead to lots of extended pressure against while also stunting the offense.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Oh god, if I have to watch Moore/Severson in a playoff game...I need to hit the liquor store early tomorrow.

Yeah, I fear a Moore/Severson pairing = Tampa blowout.

Thankfully, I'm pretty sure the Devils' brass realizes this as well, so I dont think we'll see Moore/Severson, but just the thought of it scares me. :scared:

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Wasn't that a pairing the last time we beat Tampa?

Yes, Severson played in all 3 against Tampa.

Greene & Severson were the only 2 Devils D that ended up with a negative +/- on the year against the Lightning, though I dont think you can put too much stock in that.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I pretty much throw regular season results out the window in the playoffs. It's completely different when a team can focus solely on one team and exploiting their weaknesses over the course of a series rather than playing a team once every couple months.

Tampa is just a tough matchup because our defense isn't equipped to shut down more than one scoring line. We shut the Stamkos line down and got murdered by their second line (which is probably good enough to be the top line on most teams). And their second line was going up against our top line, which is rather concerning. Although I think part of that was Hall being a little too excited and trying to one man show it a little too much. Hopefully it was just playoff jitters and that line can at least break even going forward. Because if they lose to the Point line every game this is going to be a short series.

Comparison Ford

i got a star
Sponsor
May 25, 2008
LA
I like the guy, he's scored so many goals for us, but I can absolutely not wait until we don't play John moore anymore.

That dude is straight up trash on wheels.

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
Lovejoy
Greene
Moore

^^^ all need to be exiled from Newark. The fact we decided to stunt Santini's growth in the NHL for these three assclowns is mind blowing, did Hynes have these three confused with Stevens, Neidermayer and Dano??

Sad part is most likely two of them will return :(

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
We cannot retain Moore under any circumstances. This defense is awful and upgrading his position and the 3rd pair RD spot are the only realistic options. He is awful at moving the puck.

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
Of course Grabner is not coming back, but Maroon should be an easy no IMO. He is going to be 30 soon and is way too slow. He is playing over his head.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Of course Grabner is not coming back, but Maroon should be an easy no IMO. He is going to be 30 soon and is way too slow. He is playing over his head.

I totally disagree

if they can get him for a decent deal, I would take him back. He is a monster behind teh net

not every player needs to be blazing fast if used properly

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
What is a decent deal though? I think it will take a minimum of $4 million at a 4 year term. Do you really want a guy who plays his style and is 30 for that long and at that price?

Jets012

Oct 19, 2015
Let Moore walk. Say goodbye to Lovejoy. Try to acquire a top 4 LHD. Try to grab another RHD that can play. Let Butcher get top 4 minutes. And then you'll see some progress.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
What is a decent deal though? I think it will take a minimum of $4 million at a 4 year term. Do you really want a guy who plays his style and is 30 for that long and at that price?

I would not give 4 years. Wouldn't go more than 3 and even then I would be hesitant.

Like I said, I am not 100% bringing him back at all costs.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
It seems like we play well, but once Lightning get going, they pour it on and there so opportunistic. Can't win many games when that happens.

I will be interested to see how the Devils do when they get to dictate the match-ups. For the Devils, I think that's going to be very important when you're clearly the inferior team.

For one, Coleman - Zajac - Noesen seem to thrive when they play skilled players and they grind it out. They're getting outworked by the Lightning's fourth line which is killing the Devils.

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
Play like the third period for a decent part of the game and having home ice last change should be a decent chance for a win. Having 12 forwards and 6 dman should be the way to go. Lovejoy only played 10 min so he might be coming out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad