Devils 2017-18 team discussion (player news and notes) VIII - Postseason Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Because my youth basketball team had a playoff game last night I missed half the game and never noticed Severson was a healthy scratch and I was stunned - and pissed off - when I found this out after the game. I don't care if he has been ****ting the bed down the stretch, god dammit you play him, it's critical he gets a taste of playoff hockey as soon as possible for his growth.

Also got me thinking about our developing young defenseman, granted some turn out to be bums like Eric Gelinas, but we use to have what was considered a decent prospect pool on defense the last 5-7 years and what did we have to show for it last night? A healthy scratch and an AHLer (Santini), and I think their talent is better than this, they BOTH should be in our top 4. Something is not right, we are not getting the most of our defensive prospects and should be a concern to everyone since we got another good looking crop coming up through pipeline soon.

Yet Butcher with fewer physical tools looks pretty good. Hard to say what the issue is.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Because my youth basketball team had a playoff game last night I missed half the game and never noticed Severson was a healthy scratch and I was stunned - and pissed off - when I found this out after the game. I don't care if he has been ****ting the bed down the stretch, god dammit you play him, it's critical he gets a taste of playoff hockey as soon as possible for his growth.

Also got me thinking about our developing young defenseman, granted some turn out to be bums like Eric Gelinas, but we use to have what was considered a decent prospect pool on defense the last 5-7 years and what did we have to show for it last night? A healthy scratch and an AHLer (Santini), and I think their talent is better than this, they BOTH should be in our top 4. Something is not right, we are not getting the most of our defensive prospects and should be a concern to everyone since we got another good looking crop coming up through pipeline soon.
Well, Taylor Hall, but I get your point.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
With the unwillingness of NHL to crack down on player safety why not bring in a few hit men from the ECHL for the last five games of the regular season and then play them the first playoff game. Throw the game but cheap shot the other team’s stars until they are concussed or injured. If Kuch and Stamkos are in the hospital that would change the rest of the series. How is that any different from what Marchand Doughty or Kadri hits are? The league needs to get the hit without conscience out of the game or it will only get worse. League needs to get its head out of its you know what and enter the 21st century. Suspend cheap shot artists for the entire playoffs or chunks of 20 games at a time. NHLPA is also to blame.

Doughty hit doesn't deserve to be mentioned with Kadri/Marchand suspensions.

Doughty hit was a hockey play gone awry. I still don't think he should've been suspended for it unless they think it was retaliatory for all the other hits on Carrier. The other two were non-hockey plays just looking to injure.

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
Yet Butcher with fewer physical tools looks pretty good. Hard to say what the issue is.
We really never developed him though, he was ready right out of the gate, I think his development more took place at University of Denver.

And I have no idea if I'm right because I'm not there to see what goes on and whatever, I'm just going based off our track record, that and the fact it's still a puzzle why Santini was ever sent down.

My3Sons

Sponsor
[QUOTEop yours="Zippy316, post: 144501161, member: 171257"]Doughty hit doesn't deserve to be mentioned with Kadri/Marchand suspensions.

Doughty hit was a hockey play gone awry. I still don't think he should've been suspended for it unless they think it was retaliatory for all the other hits on Carrier. The other two were non-hockey plays just looking to injure.[/QUOTE]

Fair enough but my point still stands. NHL giving incentive to cheap shot guys or magically launch into a hit you can’t stop against a guy in a vouknerable position that results in a head shot. I can’t believe NHL still kow tows to dinosaurs.

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
We really never developed him though, he was ready right out of the gate, I think his development more took place at University of Denver.

And I have no idea if I'm right because I'm not there to see what goes on and whatever, I'm just going based off our track record, that and the fact it's still a puzzle why Santini was ever sent down.
Or why Mueller was scratched for so long

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
I think taking Mueller out and leaving LJ in is a mistake.

We would be better served knocking him down a pairing and bringing Severson in for LJ.

Same with Moore. He is an idiot but we need as many puck movers in as possible to clean the breakout up.

I just don’t see Moore has a good defenseman for the playoffs. To weak on the puck, makes dumb decisions, especially under pressure and finally no 3 on 3, where he
excels. I would sit him before anyone else.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Sitting Mueller for so long and sending down santini were some of the dumbest moves of the year imo

I’m convinced that Santini was down ONLY because of his waivers eligibility. They’ll find a way to keep him up next year whether that be scratching or buying out Lovejoy or trading Severson. I don’t get what’s going on with Severson. Has all the tools, signs a deal, and doesn’t really show he’s taken his game to where it needs to be. I’m a big fan of his but it’s puzzling for sure.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I’m convinced that Santini was down ONLY because of his waivers eligibility. They’ll find a way to keep him up next year whether that be scratching or buying out Lovejoy or trading Severson. I don’t get what’s going on with Severson. Has all the tools, signs a deal, and doesn’t really show he’s taken his game to where it needs to be. I’m a big fan of his but it’s puzzling for sure.
Trading Severson so that Santini has a spot is a very bad idea. Shero knows that.

Trading Severson as part of a package for a better defenseman is something I can get behind though.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Trading Severson so that Santini has a spot is a very bad idea. Shero knows that.

Trading Severson as part of a package for a better defenseman is something I can get behind though.

No, I didn’t mean that trading Severson solely for the ability to keep Santini up was the plan or should be. Just that if he’s traded I’d hope it would be a LD which would leave a RD spot, for Santini, open.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Lovejoy needs to be out.

He is a cerebral player and he takes too long to make decisions. On top of that, he cannot make a breakout pass to save his life. Can't have that against this team.

Reactions: Bleedred

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Unless EK is coming back we should not be trading Severson.

It amazes me how impatient people are with a 23 year old Dman.
EK is exactly the name I’m thinking of if I even entertain trading Severson.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Sitting Mueller for so long and sending down santini were some of the dumbest moves of the year imo

These are my two biggest, "huh" moves of the season on defense. Sticking with Stafford and Boyle so long are my 2 picks on offense.

I’m convinced that Santini was down ONLY because of his waivers eligibility. They’ll find a way to keep him up next year whether that be scratching or buying out Lovejoy or trading Severson.

No way I'd buy out Lovejoy. He's a valuable veteran defenseman to have around as a #6/#7 guy all year, and he comes fairly cheap. Keep him for that final year on his contract.

Lovejoy is NOT as bad as many on this board makes him out to be, he's pretty par-for-the-course for a #6/#7 guy, people simply have unrealistic expectations for what you typically get in a #6/#7 slot.

Reactions: Darkauron

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
No way I'd buy out Lovejoy. He's a valuable veteran defenseman to have around as a #6/#7 guy all year, and he comes fairly cheap. Keep him for that final year on his contract.

Lovejoy is NOT as bad as many on this board makes him out to be, he's pretty par-for-the-course for a #6/#7 guy, people simply have unrealistic expectations for what you typically get in a #6/#7 slot.

I’d agree

Reactions: BenedictGomez

The Wumpus

bottomless pit supervisor
May 9, 2011
Morristown, NJ
I’m convinced that Santini was down ONLY because of his waivers eligibility.

There was an interview with Shero earlier this year where he said exactly that. It was a numbers game, and they're very pleased with his development.

I think when Ray traded for Mueller he wasn't expecting to get Butcher too later in the summer, so we had a bit of a log jam.

My3Sons

Sponsor
These are my two biggest, "huh" moves of the season on defense. Sticking with Stafford and Boyle so long are my 2 picks on offense.

The problem is the team has several players that are bottom pairing defenders and it’s questionable whether he should be given sheltered minutes over a younger player. He has filled the role he was given this season reasonably.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Feeling a little better. Hoping to wake up feeling good tomorrow and getting tickets for the game. I can go back to feeling shit on Sunday again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad