Devils 2017-18 team discussion (player news and notes) VIII - Postseason Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
You are not turning this team into a contender by overpaying a UFA, and trading good, young, cost controlled pieces for pennies on the dollar.

Also it isn’t so simple that you can just swap Severson for a Severson that’s plays the left side either. Asking for too many things to fall into place.

If you want to fix the D problem quickly, the 1st round pick is going to need to be on the table. Teams are going to want that pick for the caliber of player you guys want.

Also trading a 23 year old Severson without getting an even better player is just stupid. Firmly believe we get burned if we trade Severson.

I don’t know double E, adding a true #1 like Carlson immediately makes our right side very good. Carlson-Vatanen-Santini (with Carlson and Sami getting the lion’s share of minutes while Santini continues to develop) is pretty impressive.

I wouldn’t trade Severson without adding to him in order to increase the return. You’re right, the Devils would have to get a better player than Severson to make a deal worthwhile, but he’d have to be the main piece of a trade offer to do it.

As far as it being simple, of course it isn’t, but it’s more straightforward than you’re giving credit for. Signing Carlson is straightforward, pay him and immediately upgrade the defense. Of course, there are unknowns as to whether or not the Devils can actually sign him, but making the move itself is pretty simple. We can’t just assume the Devils can flip Severson for a need like a top LHD, but given the value of RHD around the league, Severson’s age, and the fact that he’s signed should make him a hot commodity. Signing Carlson would turn RHD into an area of strength and Shero would have the flexibility to field offers and only pull the trigger on what he wants.

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
I do not see much of a reason to add Carlson. He racks up a lot of points being put in an optimal spot on PP. We have Butcher and Sami for our PP, no need to get him for that. He also is not some defensive beast either so I question how much value he would have for a team like us.

I'd be much more inclined to add a player who can make an impact for us at even strength with moving the puck and being a strong presence defensively. OEL would be a guy I would love to add and I think we have some young players who are expendable like one of Zacha or McLeod. We would have to add other assets but if we can resign OEL, I think it would be worth pursuing. More than likely I think we will have to go outside the organization to find a true 2C anyways.

Reactions: Oneiro

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
Yeah i get the playoffs this year is just “gravy” but honesty what a let down if this team gets swept or bounced in 5.

You will never be able to talk me into sitting these guys in dc was the right decision. The team still controlled their own destiny to a degree and they sat players like they locked up the top seed. What a horrible choice

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Yeah i get the playoffs this year is just “gravy” but honesty what a let down if this team gets swept or bounced in 5.

You will never be able to talk me into sitting these guys in dc was the right decision. The team still controlled their own destiny to a degree and they sat players like they locked up the top seed. What a horrible choice
I think sitting guys is pretty irrelevant. Part of wanting to win that game was avoiding Boston, which we avoided anyways. Tampa was a match up that looked like a good one for us.

And we've played OK here. Just not clean enough, and Tampa has shown why they were the highest scoring team in the league, when they get chances, they finish.

BahlDeep

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal
That would be an ideal scenario. Have Mueller be the 7th D
Lol, he was our best defenseman yesterday, and you still consider him as a 7th defenseman.

Mueller is going to be better then Severson.

Mueller first game wasn't bad, that error he did while on the PK was more about bad luck then a fundamental error.

Reactions: PrinceSexyHenrik

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I mean people act like playing Pittsburgh on the road would have been SOOOO much better. It's the two-time defending Stanley Cup champs we're debating busting our hump to play! There was no home-ice on the line, no real difference between playing the Pens and Tampa.

And it's not exactly a given we win that game in Washington if we play everyone anyway (which also gets overlooked), the Caps were playing everyone too. The Caps were looking to get Ovechkin his 50 goals. It's not like we tanked a game against a team we should beat. So they could have gotten no rest, lost and still been stuck with the same matchup anyway.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Lol, he was our best defenseman yesterday, and you still consider him as a 7th defenseman.

Mueller is going to be better then Severson.

Mueller first game wasn't bad, that error he did while on the PK was more about bad luck then a fundamental error.

I'm not a huge Sevs fan but Mueller has VERY limited upside. If Mueller's better than Sevs it means Sevs has completely busted out of the league. Mueller's upside is basically Jon Merrill with better health. He adds very little offensively so he has to be lockdown defensively to stick longterm. Sevs might not ever 'get it' defensively or mentally but if he does there's no question who has the higher upside or better skillset.

Last edited:

BahlDeep

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal
I still think we can win this series. I think 8 out of 10 goals TB scored was due to stupid errors we did. Out of the 2 other goals, one was an empty net goal.

We can skate with them. We just have to clean up our shit, and we just need to win game 3 and go from there. I seriously think they TBL are overrated.

BahlDeep

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal
I'm not a huge Sevs fan but Mueller has VERY limited upside. If Mueller's better than Sevs it means Sevs has completely busted out of the league. Mueller's upside is basically Jon Merrill with better health.
That's completely false. Mueller is a very good skater, he can move the puck up,he gets involved in the offensive zone, and is solid defensively.

I think John Merill can't hold Mueller's jock on a good day for him.

Let's consider Mueller has less then 80 games played in the league. He looked good more often then not.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
That's completely false. Mueller is a very good skater, he can move the puck up,he gets involved in the offensive zone, and is solid defensively.

I think John Merill can't hold Mueller's jock on a good day for him.

Let's consider Mueller has less then 80 games played in the league. He looked good more often then not.

Let's pump the brakes on his offensive skill...he has four points in 28 games this year, ten points in 82 career NHL games and 34 points (including a mere 4 goals) in 126 career AHL games. I get the age argument but if you're not producing offense at a lower level you're not magically developing it in the NHL. I mean six goals in 208 professional games doesn't scream offensive potential. Even Adam Larsson had more offensive potential than Mueller and his offensive game never really panned out at the NHL level.

BahlDeep

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal
Let's pump the brakes on his offensive skill...he has four points in 28 games this year, ten points in 82 career NHL games and 34 points (including a mere 4 goals) in 126 career AHL games. I get the age argument but if you're not producing offense at a lower level you're not magically developing it in the NHL. I mean six goals in 208 professional games doesn't scream offensive potential. Even Adam Larsson had more offensive potential than Mueller and his offensive game never really panned out at the NHL level.
I mean I never said Mueller is going to get a lot of points. All I said was he knows how to get involved in the offensive zone, meaning he makes the right pinches at the right time, he has a good shot and good passing ability.

Larsson style is completely different. He doesn't have the skating ability Mueller has to get really involved offensively. How many times you see Mueller in front of the other team's net. I think I haven't seen him once get caught, because he knows when he can jump in, and when he has to retreat back.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
I see that losing these first two games has brought out the life planner contingent.

They're losing because they're not as good or as experienced as Tampa. It's not so complicated. The whole roster algebra that's going on with the boards right now is missing the point.

What on earth did you expect when half of the play drivers on this team are under 23? It sucks to be losing but this playoff appearance IS gravy.

Bologna 1

Aug 5, 2006
I will say, the one thing I am disappointed in thus far is the PK. Not sure what happened to that PK that not only looked confident to kill off anything, but also a threat to score one themselves virtually every time shorthanded.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
I will say, the one thing I am disappointed in thus far is the PK. Not sure what happened to that PK that not only looked confident to kill off anything, but also a threat to score one themselves virtually every time shorthanded.
They’re facing one of the most talented powerplays in the NHL. And in game 1 they killed almost the entire PP until Tampa got a fortunate break and scored at the very end of their PP.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
I mean people act like playing Pittsburgh on the road would have been SOOOO much better. It's the two-time defending Stanley Cup champs we're debating busting our hump to play! There was no home-ice on the line, no real difference between playing the Pens and Tampa.

And it's not exactly a given we win that game in Washington if we play everyone anyway (which also gets overlooked), the Caps were playing everyone too. The Caps were looking to get Ovechkin his 50 goals. It's not like we tanked a game against a team we should beat. So they could have gotten no rest, lost and still been stuck with the same matchup anyway.

I don’t care if we started everyone and lost and still got the bolts. MY problem is they clinched a spot and then took the foot off The gas and said that’s enough. Play hard all the time imo. They were getting at the least a full 3 day rest even if they played that game. They haven’t looked the same since that Washington game where they took their foot off the gas and coasted. I don’t consider that a coincidence

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
Do the Devils start Schneider game 3?

I would. Honestly if this team is going to contend for a playoff spot next year it’s with Cory finding his game again and not hoping that kinkaid goes on an amazing run again. Maybe just maybe this is the type of moment that Cory steps up? Worth a shot imo.

Maybe the team rallies around him and they can turn this series around? Or keep kinkaid in and we go down 0-3 do you start Cory then? Probably right but even if we win make it 1-3 people will question why not make the move in game 3 then

Last edited:
Reactions: Comparison Ford

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
Yes, like PZ, Greene, Boyle, etc but we didn't cough up a 2nd rounder and a top prospect who has already established himself in a pro league for them this past March.

Slow your roll with a top prospect. Maybe if he played North American hockey I would consider him a top prospect but playing in the khl isn’t exactly premier league stuff here. Besides he can’t even come over until after next season. Good luck with that learning curve

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Yeah, Mueller has very limited offensive upside. He’s pretty much just Merrill. Suggesting he has significant offensive potential is pretty baseless, he hasn’t even done much of anything at the AHL level. Larsson’s AHL numbers blow his out of the water and Larsson stinks offensively.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad