Devils 2017-18 team discussion (player news and notes) VIII - Postseason Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
I doubt it happens, but I wonder if Lou looks into Zajac. He's the type of player the Islanders could desperately use.

Maybe we can swap Tavares for Zajac this summer. :laugh:

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Seems like there are 2 major camps forming: a pro-Tavares and a pro-Carlson (there's also a pro-both and a pro-neither). Just wanted to ask, which would you prefer:

-Sign Tavares ($10m):
Center = Add Tavares, drop Boyle (from starting 12)
Defense = Greene, Butcher, Mueller

Hall - Hischier - Bratt
Johansson - Tavares - Palmieri
Coleman - Zajac - Noesen
Wood - Zacha - Anderson

Greene - Vatanen
Butcher - Santini
Mueller - Severson

or

-Sign Carlson ($7.5m):
Center = Hischier, Zacha, Zajac, Boyle
Defense = Add Carlson, move Severson (potentially for LHD or 2C)

Hall - Hischier - Bratt
Johansson - Zacha - Palmieri
Coleman - Zajac - Noesen
Wood - Boyle - Anderson

Klefbom/Greene - Vatanen
Mueller - Carlson
Butcher - Santini

I'd rather go for Carlson + quality second line forward -- either Neal, Nash, Perron, JvR, or Maroon via UFA or a similar player via trade (Severson?). I wouldn't turn away Tavares obviously, but I think that scenario is more realistic.

I think the above addresses our needs better while also allowing the kids an opportunity to play:

Hall - Hischier -
Johansson - Zacha -
Coleman - Zajac -
Wood - Boyle - Noesen

Cycle through Palmieri, Anderson, UFA/Johansson, Quenneville, and Bratt on the right side. If all three young guys struggle, Noesen is fully capable of playing 3RW as well.

Greene - Vatanen
Mueller - Carlson
Butcher - Severson
Lovejoy - Santini

Last edited:

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
I'd rather go for Carlson + quality second line forward -- either Neal, Nash, Perron, JvR, or Maroon via UFA or a similar player via trade (Severson?). I wouldn't turn away Tavares obviously, but I think that scenario is more realistic.

I think the above addresses our needs better while also allowing the kids an opportunity to play:

Hall - Hischier -
Johansson - Zacha -
Coleman - Zajac -
Wood - Boyle - Noesen

Cycle through Palmieri, Anderson, UFA/Johansson, Quenneville, and Bratt on the right side. If all three young guys struggle, Noesen is fully capable of playing 3RW as well.

Greene - Vatanen
Mueller - Carlson
Butcher - Severson
Lovejoy - Santini

On Severson, what kind of trade value does he have or what holes is NJ in need of addressing?

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
On Severson, what kind of trade value does he have or what holes is NJ in need of addressing?

His value will be hard to gauge and likely differs from team to team. The opinions on him are polarizing on here and I think some teams could value him highly as part of a package for a higher end player and/or a swap for a similar young forward, but others will probably have little to no interest.

Devils main needs are more high-end talent, either a first pairing defender or a second-or-better line center or right winger. For the latter, the player would have to be good enough to justify not playing and developing Zacha or Bratt and to a lesser degree Anderson/Noesen over them.

For example, someone like Connor Brown does very little for the Devils but a versatile veteran guy like Neal or sweetening the package for a top-six forward like Skinner/Simmonds could interest the Devils.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
as it currently stands, the only thing I am trading Severson for is in a package for an upgrade at LHD

if Carlson signs here, that changes, but yeah

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
His value will be hard to gauge and likely differs from team to team. The opinions on him are polarizing on here and I think some teams could value him highly as part of a package for a higher end player and/or a swap for a similar young forward, but others will probably have little to no interest.

Devils main needs are more high-end talent, either a first pairing defender or a second-or-better line center or right winger. For the latter, the player would have to be good enough to justify not playing and developing Zacha or Bratt and to a lesser degree Anderson/Noesen over them.

For example, someone like Connor Brown does very little for the Devils but a versatile veteran guy like Neal or sweetening the package for a top-six forward like Skinner/Simmonds could interest the Devils.

Hmmmmm.....yes thinking from a Leaf perspective. I am a big fan of defense by committee, not spending huge money on one marquee d-man. Seems like a guy who might fit into that mentality.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Hmmmmm.....yes thinking from a Leaf perspective. I am a big fan of defense by committee, not spending huge money on one marquee d-man. Seems like a guy who might fit into that mentality.

I have a hard time seeing what Leafs offer that makes sense.

Marner/Nylander should never be traded for Severson so there goes addressing the RW there. Devils have similar players to Brown/Leivo so it would make little sense to deal Severson for them.

Kapanen would be the only guy that is interesting, but even then it would be liquidating Severson for pieces rather than getting a comparable given the gap in experience. I don’t think it’s smart to make that type of trade with a <25 defender.

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
In what world is it a better option to acquire Carlson rather than Tavares (in a one-or-the-other hypothetical)? Tavares is a career point per game first line center. Carlson is a top pairing d-man sure, but it's not like he's a Norris trophy candidate.

If there's anything the last three post seasons has taught us, it's that you can definitely win a Stanley Cup with an average d-core if your forwards are skilled, fast, and unrelenting. Isn't that essentially the model Shero and Hynes are emulating in the construction of this team?

If a choice has to be made, Tavares over Carlson is a no brainer for this team.

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
tavares is the offensive equivalent of landing a doughty or karlsson, he's that good. if we have the opportunity to sign him you do it. carlson is very good but he's not on the same level

Reactions: nugg

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
In what world is it a better option to acquire Carlson rather than Tavares (in a one-or-the-other hypothetical)? Tavares is a career point per game first line center. Carlson is a top pairing d-man sure, but it's not like he's a Norris trophy candidate.

If there's anything the last three post seasons has taught us, it's that you can definitely win a Stanley Cup with an average d-core if your forwards are skilled, fast, and unrelenting. Isn't that essentially the model Shero and Hynes are emulating in the construction of this team?

Carlson isn't a Norris candidate? I'm almost certain he placed in the top 5 this year.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey

I don't think Tavares is realistic.

Obviously, if he wants to come here and it makes sense, you don't pass up on it. I just personally don't see what the Devils can offer that is better than staying with the Islanders or going to another team. I think Carlson should be the priority and Carlson + second line winger is a more realistic scenario.

Ideally, I'd love to add Tavares + Carlson because there's room there. That would be an absolute haul and could set us up to be competitive now and for a long time.

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
im not sure any other team can offer the opportunity to play with an mvp caliber winger with another potential superstar center to line up behind him on a team on the upswing while still offering the term and dollar value he is demanding

Reactions: Ripshot 43

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
the only strike against the devils would be the proximity to the islanders if he wanted to avoid playing near them and their fans if he leaves

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
Also for the 1000th time the rush to trade Severson is foolish.

I agree. I don't think anyone wants to trade him - but his name comes up because he's our most attractive asset that could be considered overvalued and replaceable. I don't see anyone else on the roster that could land anything worth having and/or wouldn't gut the team.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
Does anyone think that we can get back to the style of play we were playing the 1st 20 games or so where we were one of the highest scoring teams of the year?

What happened to get away from that? Did other teams adjust to us?

Csonked Out

Mar 20, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Does anyone think that we can get back to the style of play we were playing the 1st 20 games or so where we were one of the highest scoring teams of the year?

teams adjusted to us with neutral zone defense. They also took a lot of time and space away from Bratt and he struggled to adjust. We just caught more than a few teams by surprise last year early on.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007

if i remember correctly (and i probably don't) our early season success was due to the unsustainably high scoring we were getting from our bottom 6. then that kind of dried up. but i don't have a bleedred memory so who knows

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad