Dubois

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
Well

if they don't buy him out

they'd better at least move him to wing.

Minimize the damage there at least, and he's been relatively effective there in the past

and just read he was actually a W in junior and just has been forced into C along the way....just about the most Kings thing ever right? Draft a bunch of Cs and move them to W...trade for a W and force him into C.
The stupidity is that many of his weaknesses are similar to the perceived weaknesses that Vilardi has. The problem is that he doesn’t have the same offensive upside. So they move Vilardi because they felt he could not fill the C and bring in a natural W, shoehorned into C. It’s Key Stone Cops level of stupidity.

PLD has even implied in interviews he prefers playing W.

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
It feels like the team is going out of its way to make sure Byfield never plays center. It’s one of the most illogical decisions I’ve ever seen in sports.
Everything about this org is low IQ. Roster construction, player deployment, systems, playoff strategy. If anything deserved to be detonated its this f***ing mess.

rielledup

Sep 17, 2015
I know there are some professional athletes who don't have a passion for the sport they play but just happen to ne really good at it and can make a lot of money doing it. There's nothing wrong with that, you can't control how your brain is wired and what you love to do/are passionate about. However, you would think that anyone with any integrity or shame would still push themselves to try to live up to their 8 mil a year contract for the fans who pay who made that contract possible and for your teammates.

Omni Owl

No fun, only 1-3-1
Mar 9, 2008
It feels like the team is going out of its way to make sure Byfield never plays center. It’s one of the most illogical decisions I’ve ever seen in sports.
So many prospects have switched from C to W, starting with Kempe and onward. SOMEONE has to play down the middle for f***'s sake. Byfield looks like he's going to be another. We're currently the antithesis of the Ducks, who are in the process of drafting and developing what looks like future successful C's.

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
Serious rumors of the PLD buyout.
Tell us more Johnny
Woah us
keanu-reeves-whoa.png

Reactions: ibleedkings

RayMartyniukTotems

Jul 8, 2022
The sky is falling the sky is falling...Dubois was brought in for the day Kopitar needs to be replaced...PL played mostly 3rd line minutes sometimes with plugs.There was no way the Kings were getting past the Oilers with the mostly shitty goaltending and terrible Referring that was in place for the Series...and I'm not making excuses the PP was not good actually non existent. The 2nd line our most prolific pretty much dried up...I guess they should have left Fiala up with Danault and Moore...As it sits the Kings have some decisions to make and buying out PL Dubois is not going to happen mainly because the cost is fricking astronomical... The Cap situation and how Blake handled or rather mishandled the Prospects was a downfall someone has to take the blame for...The Kings looked old and tired,slow and not very sharp in most of the Series. Not sure what fixes things but being aggressive during UFA July 1st probably blows up in LA's face. Dubois is a good player but the Kings have too many mouths to feed and not enough pucks/time to go around. They seemed to lack chemistry too. Maybe the solution is to gauge the Market for a player of PL's ilk. He's a Bruin type or maybe Montreal would want another shot at PL. This makes some sense since Les Canadiens lack a numero duo Centre!
LA is in tough against the Oilers with a McSavoiur in the line up maybe the Kings can send 100 Million dollars and 10 first rounders to Edmonton for the Great one 2.0 other than that the Kings need to identify prospects and put them in a position where they are going to succeed and sometimes that means having the player stay put ala Turcotte in College,Kupari in Finland,ditto for Madden,Grans,...trying to get out of Cap hell cost the Kings dearly and that's on Blake...now Blake or whomever is the next GM needs to clean things up...maybe the Pro Scouting department can all go over to Russia to find some ready made pros at a decent Salary...the Goaltending and a Top flight Defensive LDman should be at the top of the Priority list...
As for Kaliyev not sure he fits as Laferriere is the type of player(physical) LA wants on the 3rd line. Its been tough for Kaliyev to make the transition to LWing not many can adjust and succeed so he becomes Trade Bait sorry to say. As for the UFA's LA doesn't sign any of them they need to go with youth and find a fricking a Goaltender that can stop a "Beach ball"...Big Save Dave was a stop gap and Talbot was well Up and Down and really no All Star because in my books that means consistently and he was none of that...Portillo is still a ways off from LA and Slukynsky is a hope that is probably 3-4 years away so for now LA has only a little light at the end and for now fixes nothing...so the Kings need to find a Behemoth Russian "Basketball" Player turned "NETMINDER"...it seems the way most NHL teams are going finding the 6-5,6-6,6-7 'tender and hope,Develop and make an NHLer...
Personally when the time comes for Kopi to assume a lesser role I'd have Kempe and Byfield as my top 2 Centre and have the rest of the Forwards like Fiala play with 1 of those,same goes for Moore...with the others well not sure...maybe the Kings draft a Forward(Winger)at the 2024 draft and hope he turns into a Scoring Star,otherwise there is always Europe and hope to get a late Bloomer ala Daniel Alfredsson...would be nice to get a couple of them

Attachments

• thumb_720_450_dreamstime_xxl_123987329.jpg
    thumb_720_450_dreamstime_xxl_123987329.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 0

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
I can't imagine him getting bought out if Blake is still the GM.

How could you trade that much for a player, give the player a big contract, the following summer buy said player out, turning him into a 14 year liability, and not get fired?

Reactions: ibleedkings

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Cup has to get awarded by June 22nd for LA to have a chance at buying PLD out before he turns 26.

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
Cup has to get awarded by June 22nd for LA to have a chance at buying PLD out before he turns 26.
48 hours from the game ending on the 22nd would put him past his bday (midnight on the 24th)... so I think the 21st. So crazy that it works this way.

Schrute farms

LA Kings: new GM wanted -- inquire within
Jul 7, 2020
I can't imagine him getting bought out if Blake is still the GM.

How could you trade that much for a player, give the player a big contract, the following summer buy said player out, turning him into a 14 year liability, and not get fired?
Not to mention, the team performance was worse both in RS and playoffs.
Screw that, if Blake somehow cockroaches his way to stay then he should be stuck with PLD.

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
The sky is falling the sky is falling...Dubois was brought in for the day Kopitar needs to be replaced...PL played mostly 3rd line minutes sometimes with plugs.There was no way the Kings were getting past the Oilers with the mostly shitty goaltending and terrible Referring that was in place for the Series...and I'm not making excuses the PP was not good actually non existent. The 2nd line our most prolific pretty much dried up...I guess they should have left Fiala up with Danault and Moore...As it sits the Kings have some decisions to make and buying out PL Dubois is not going to happen mainly because the cost is fricking astronomical... The Cap situation and how Blake handled or rather mishandled the Prospects was a downfall someone has to take the blame for...The Kings looked old and tired,slow and not very sharp in most of the Series. Not sure what fixes things but being aggressive during UFA July 1st probably blows up in LA's face. Dubois is a good player but the Kings have too many mouths to feed and not enough pucks/time to go around. They seemed to lack chemistry too. Maybe the solution is to gauge the Market for a player of PL's ilk. He's a Bruin type or maybe Montreal would want another shot at PL. This makes some sense since Les Canadiens lack a numero duo Centre!
LA is in tough against the Oilers with a McSavoiur in the line up maybe the Kings can send 100 Million dollars and 10 first rounders to Edmonton for the Great one 2.0 other than that the Kings need to identify prospects and put them in a position where they are going to succeed and sometimes that means having the player stay put ala Turcotte in College,Kupari in Finland,ditto for Madden,Grans,...trying to get out of Cap hell cost the Kings dearly and that's on Blake...now Blake or whomever is the next GM needs to clean things up...maybe the Pro Scouting department can all go over to Russia to find some ready made pros at a decent Salary...the Goaltending and a Top flight Defensive LDman should be at the top of the Priority list...
As for Kaliyev not sure he fits as Laferriere is the type of player(physical) LA wants on the 3rd line. Its been tough for Kaliyev to make the transition to LWing not many can adjust and succeed so he becomes Trade Bait sorry to say. As for the UFA's LA doesn't sign any of them they need to go with youth and find a fricking a Goaltender that can stop a "Beach ball"...Big Save Dave was a stop gap and Talbot was well Up and Down and really no All Star because in my books that means consistently and he was none of that...Portillo is still a ways off from LA and Slukynsky is a hope that is probably 3-4 years away so for now LA has only a little light at the end and for now fixes nothing...so the Kings need to find a Behemoth Russian "Basketball" Player turned "NETMINDER"...it seems the way most NHL teams are going finding the 6-5,6-6,6-7 'tender and hope,Develop and make an NHLer...
Personally when the time comes for Kopi to assume a lesser role I'd have Kempe and Byfield as my top 2 Centre and have the rest of the Forwards like Fiala play with 1 of those,same goes for Moore...with the others well not sure...maybe the Kings draft a Forward(Winger)at the 2024 draft and hope he turns into a Scoring Star,otherwise there is always Europe and hope to get a late Bloomer ala Daniel Alfredsson...would be nice to get a couple of them
Yeah, but what's Kubalik up to?

• Haha
Reactions: Steve Zissou

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I haven't seen it mentioned here yet, but PLD had a horrible year his first year in Winnipeg. Then was fine the following two years.

Prior to that in Columbus he was really fine almost the whole time. I heard on Marek's podcast they were talking about what an enigma Dubois is, but we knew who he was in Columbus and he was eventually fine in Winnipeg.

I seem to recall Dubois talking about losing his strength that first year in Winnipeg, so my interpretation was that he just didn't train properly, and got embarrassed by it and fixed it the following year. I'm wondering if that's what we'll see again with him.

That or he just doesn't give a shit at all anymore.

Reactions: AbsentMojo

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
He was “fine” when getting pp time and carried on the top lines

He was acquired to be a middle six C and failed miserably

If what it takes to make the contract fine is to move him to wing where he can be carried by Byfield that’s about what we all expected all along and and embarrassment of trading what we traded to get him (durrrr we need a C)

If it’s his fitness strength that’s embarrassing too, I’ve never seen such a soft big guy, he makes Kaliyev look like Tiger williams

Reactions: chris kontos

Master Yoda

LA Legends
Aug 6, 2003
El Paso
I listened to that whole Marek v. Wyshynski piece.

So basically PLD has had the same issues with every team going all the way to back to junior.

Winnipeg viewed getting rid of Dubois as "addition by subtraction". Wyshyniski added that he "knows for a fact" that PLD was not well liked in the room.

Even PLD critics have said that Dubois seems like a nice guy, I guess that's not even true.

Cheveldayoff must've been thrilled that LA was willing to give up so much for a guy he just wanted to get rid of. It really makes LA look stupid.

Ironically, we're now in the same position the Jets were in. Looking for a greater fool to dump PLD on.
That was the strangest thing. PLD said he didn't want to sign in Winnipeg and everyone knew they were trying to trade him.
There were maybe only a small handful of teams interested, if that.
And they still managed to overpay for the guy because Blake's philosophy is that teams should be honorable and both teams should benefit from a trade?
I guess the joke's on him.

RayMartyniukTotems

Jul 8, 2022
Yeah, but what's Kubalik up to?
He would the perfect LWinger and great trigger man on the Off Wing ala Kempe on the First or Second PP unit. Doubt he goes back the shit-Show that became the Ottawa Senators...would be a great pick up but the Kings f***ed up their chance there too bad it was the first of many f*** ups by Senor Stupido alias Rob Blake

RayMartyniukTotems

Jul 8, 2022
That was the strangest thing. PLD said he didn't want to sign in Winnipeg and everyone knew they were trying to trade him.
There were maybe only a small handful of teams interested, if that.
And they still managed to overpay for the guy because Blake's philosophy is that teams should be honorable and both teams should benefit from a trade?
I guess the joke's on him.
Vilardi,Yafallo and Kupari and a second rounder is over payment...shit Gabe may never play a full season in 20. He hasn't played a full season since Bantam and that may be a stretch...don't get me wrong I liked Vilardi and commend him for coming "back" but he needs to be a fulltimer and not a Part timer. Yafallo was a salary dump but maybe LA picks him up again in a year who knows...Kupari fell on his face which is too bad he had Promise but was rushed to the AHL and NHL too fast becoming not a top 6-9 Forward but a bottom 10-11-12 and 13th Forward not what you want in a First rounder but that was Blake and developmental team...stupid Rob should be his Handle cause he hasn't done much good for this Organization to date

Telos

In Byfield We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
I think they have to buy him out. There are going to be no takers for him and he has a NMC if they let it go another season and even if you force him to play 25 minutes a night and glue Byfield, Kempe, and Fiala to his hips and drag his lifeless corpse to a 30g 40a 70p -155 season and find someone dumb enough to bite, you just know this f***ing asshole would nix the trade. Forcing the 1/3 buyout is the best get-out-of-jail card option at this point. I don't think it is possible for the Kings to be competitive with him on the roster at his cap hit even if he were a 60-point player.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
I didn’t really want to tell this story cause I figured everyone would say yeah right but I was at the airport in Dallas a few months ago and saw someone wearing a Winnipeg pullover. They had just played the Stars and we they were going to play Carolina soon after, and that’s where I was going.

Anyway I brought up the Jets to this guy, I brought up what I do for a living, got this dude engaged in conversation and we started talking hockey shit for about thirty minutes. Some point during the conversation I got the guy’s guard down and the guy tells me he works for the Jets. I looked at their website after the fact and he definitely does. First we were talking about the kinds of trades the Jets needed, guy saw my Kings hoodie and I brought up Toffoli as the kind of player he was talking about. And I brought up some other players too. I do not think our conversation had anything to do with them trading for him, but once that came up there was a huge Dubois sized elephant in the room. So I told him how shitty Dubois was and that I think he might turn it around with a different coach.

Dude straight up laughed in my face. Anyway I guess my point is that I wasn’t in favor of buying him out but I am now. We can’t do this roller coaster ride every season. Nobody should be duped into thinking another coach can get him going. We already tried that. If he was performing Todd might never have been fired in the first place. People in the league don’t even believe in him.

RayMartyniukTotems

Jul 8, 2022
I don't want to gossip or start rumors but a friend has a connection in the organization and said they've "discussed" the buyout.
Buy-out the remaining 7 years at 8.5 Million so around 40 Million spread over 14 years can't be in the books...I'd think they would make Dubois the 2nd line centre,trade Danault not sign Arvidsson,probably trade Kaliyev,maybe Grundstrom cause I'm sure he's fed up with all the shit(playing 4th line) instead of higher in the line up...Lizotte replaced by Turc,Lewis goes to Salt Lake...Thomas brought up for good...Not sure if this fixes anything in LA...maybe the Kings can clear enough Cap Space and Get Stamkos or Reinhart or both and then trade for,find,steal a great Defensive LDman to play with Spence...Roy has to go so Clarke can play sorry to say...oh yeah finding a goaltender...that's the biggest problem guess they should have kept Quicker or Jones...Bernier or all of them

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad