Devils 2017-18 team discussion (player news and notes) VIII - Postseason Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cult of Hynes

Hynes is never wrong.
Nov 9, 2010
Subban isn't up to be traded, if Nashville is gonna trade a defenseman it won't their best one, which he is.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
I'm curious if we may make a run at P.K. Subban if made available, he would fit in nice here from a talent standpoint.

The rumors have him on the block, but we'd have to give up a ton to get him. They'd want more/better than Zacha, Severson, and our 1st, imo.

Wow, I hadn’t heard this. They must be in a cap crunch to be looking to do that but yeah they will want cheap players and futures returned for sure.

Edit: Keep reading you dummy Ripshot.

dzubrus8

Jun 15, 2014
I really don't think Lou will step in and immediately let one of the biggest FAs of the last 20 years walk into free agency. He has some history of playing hardball with players, but this is likely a blank check scenario for the Isles.

Also, for all the talk of Lou having "his guys," the only Devil he acquired while in charge of Toronto was Sergey Kalinin, which was an eyes-closed dart throw that he made in his last months with the team. Even when the Devils were at their worst, he didn't trade for Schneider, Zajac, Greene, Henrique, or any of those guys. That should tell you all you need to know about any future goodwill with the Islanders.

Reactions: Comparison Ford

devilsfan35

Jun 15, 2015
If Lou fails to extend Tavares he will forever be known as the gm who lets players walk into the sunsets of free agency

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
I don't understand why people have a hard time wrapping their heads around this - in UFA, players have ALL the leverage. It's not like Tavares will go home and work at Wendy's if he doesn't sign with the Islanders, he can go wherever he wants and every team would be happy to have him.

Re-signing a UFA isn't as simple as throwing money at them, I mean you can do that, but it's not smart and at the end of the day the player has to pen to paper. If they don't want to sign there's nothing the GM can do. Trying to force deals is how you get into Kovalchuk situations.

As much as I joke the only UFA leaving I blame Lou for is Rafalski, by all indications he wanted to stay and Lou insulted him by offering a paycut. Gomez wanted to be stupid rich, Niedermayer wanted to play with his brother, Parise wanted to make out with Suter, all of these guys had their minds made up.

That being said, if JT is fed up with the Islanders Islanding all the time I'm not sure how bringing in a new GM at the 11th hour is going to change his mind. Lou loves to trade on loyalty and he has none of that with the NYI right now. Lou doesn't really have any cards to play other than the 8th year (which doesn't seem to be a factor that often) and money (who knows if ownership will give him the green light).

Reactions: glenwo2

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Lou’s leverage is that JT wants to remain an Islander. All he needs to do is assure him the team will head in the right direction now and he will stay.

if he 100% wanted to remain an Islander, he would have re-signed by now.

He is going to be able to test the open market in a month...if he has waited this long, why not wait another couple weeks?

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
If Lou fails to extend Tavares he will forever be known as the gm who lets players walk into the sunsets of free agency
If Lou will be known as the GM who lets players walk in the sunsets of free agency it won’t be because Tavares walked.

Lou just walked in the door. Garth and the people who were already there have had 10.5 months to sign Tavares before Lou even got there. That really wouldn’t be on Lou at all.

schoenfeld

2 Way Contract
Dec 10, 2006
As much as I joke the only UFA leaving I blame Lou for is Rafalski, by all indications he wanted to stay and Lou insulted him by offering a paycut. Gomez wanted to be stupid rich, Niedermayer wanted to play with his brother, Parise wanted to make out with Suter, all of these guys had their minds made up.

Rafis knees went from bad to really bad right after he won that cup with the red wings, i think part of that lowball offer was the knowledge that was going to happen.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Because Snow is an idiot. He might wait, but he almost certainly listens to offers and simply circles back to the Islanders.

I wouldn't be surprised if that's exactly what ends up happening. I just hope he doesn't end up being that star that wastes away on a team that never goes anywhere.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
I don’t understand the posts about Tavares resigning with the Isles is all but set in stone now. So you see the management and owners you’ve had for years now but all of a sudden having a new President of operations whisper sweet nothings into your ear is going to make you want to stay?

If he stays, he was always going to stay, not because Lou Lamarillo convinced him.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
It's not that Lou convinces him per se, it's that his presence represents (to JT) an upgrade from same ol' same ol' dysfunction.

Reactions: My3Sons

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Players say a lot of things.

Even if Lou does improve the team, when will they be ready to compete? When Tavares is 28? 30? 33?

Trusting your career to a guy you don't know that's only been GM of your team for a grand total of like 5 hours doesn't make a lot of sense.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
Parise wanted to make out with Suter, all of these guys had their minds made up.

uhhhhhhhh... or be with his terminally ill Dad. I agree with your point completely, but the delivery on this one might be a bit cold.

Edit: and Rafalski wanted to play at home in Michigan too. Not to mention his knees were pretty shot so that was actually a decent no-sign as well.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
uhhhhhhhh... or be with his terminally ill Dad. I agree with your point completely, but the delivery on this one might be a bit cold.

Edit: and Rafalski wanted to play at home in Michigan too. Not to mention his knees were pretty shot so that was actually a decent no-sign as well.
Rafalski wanted to stay, I think he was just looking for a raise, a slight one, not the $6 million per year that Detroit gave him. And he didn't get one, so he walked. He turned down offers from other teams, including an ''Unnamed'' Devils rival, which most speculated to be Philly. So he opted to take the contract to go home.

I thought we should have kept him, but his knees were shot at the end. Luckily he retired before that became a big problem. He retired with a year left on his deal, but he signed it at 34 and it wasn't a 35+ contract.

Reactions: billingtons ghost

Cage Helmet

Thank you Marty!
May 27, 2012
Man, I cried when Raffi walked. I was a huge Gomer fan and was more bummed about Raffi that day. He had that vision and the skill that made him still useful when his knees were almost inoperable anymore. Thankfully, we got Raffi Butcher now. :nod:

Reactions: billingtons ghost
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad