Devils 2017-18 team discussion (player news and notes) VIII - Postseason Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nico the Draft Riser

Devils, Rams, Hawks, Twins fan
Nov 18, 2017
I think its obvious the coaching staff isnt the biggest Severson fans.

Id move Severson for a similar LHD or package him for a top end LHD. Examples are tough to come by because im not the greatest with handidness. Any suggestions?

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
I do not see much of a reason to add Carlson. He racks up a lot of points being put in an optimal spot on PP. We have Butcher and Sami for our PP, no need to get him for that. He also is not some defensive beast either so I question how much value he would have for a team like us.

I'd be much more inclined to add a player who can make an impact for us at even strength with moving the puck and being a strong presence defensively. OEL would be a guy I would love to add and I think we have some young players who are expendable like one of Zacha or McLeod. We would have to add other assets but if we can resign OEL, I think it would be worth pursuing. More than likely I think we will have to go outside the organization to find a true 2C anyways.

Carlson was 11th in the NHL in ES points/60 among DMen (minimum 1,000 minutes)

but sure, whatever you say!

I can't believe someone could watch our team's D and say "nah, we don't need that guy" in reference to Carlson

Carlson is a much better player than OEL AND we wouldn't have to give up assets for him. Really, really bad take.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Lol, he was our best defenseman yesterday, and you still consider him as a 7th defenseman.

Mueller is going to be better then Severson.

Mueller first game wasn't bad, that error he did while on the PK was more about bad luck then a fundamental error.

YIKES. and I like Mueller.

Mueller and Severson are the same age, FYI.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
I’d like to see Severson with an actual above average partner for once instead of dragging John Moore around. The list of 23 year old defensemen that carry their partners isn’t long and is filled with elite players. The solution to this poopy defense isn’t subtracting one of the only players that has a chance to be well above average in the modern NHL.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
I think its obvious the coaching staff isnt the biggest Severson fans.

Id move Severson for a similar LHD or package him for a top end LHD. Examples are tough to come by because im not the greatest with handidness. Any suggestions?
Severson played 16 minutes at 5 on 5 last game, second to only Vatanen. And we dressed 7 dmen.

Nico the Draft Riser

Nov 18, 2017
Severson played 16 minutes at 5 on 5 last game, second to only Vatanen. And we dressed 7 dmen.
Severson has also been the 2nd most benched dman on the team only behind Santini , who is in the AHL. Severson was benched in a playoff game. Severson also is having confidence issues.

He clearly isnt on the same par as the coaches and either thats because they are trying to push him to make that next stride or they simply arent a fan of his. Dont see why this is unlikely

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Severson has also been the 2nd most benched dman on the team only behind Santini , who is in the AHL. Severson was benched in a playoff game. Severson also is having confidence issues.

He clearly isnt on the same par as the coaches and either thats because they are trying to push him to make that next stride or they simply arent a fan of his. Dont see why this is unlikely
Severson played 76 games this season lol. Mueller was benched for months and Santini was sent down. And Severson is on a long term contract. They obviously have some issues with his game, but he’s 23 and looks to be a long term part of the team. Idk if he’s gonna be traded but I think it’s pretty unlikely. If they actually landed Carlson then I’d think it would be much more likely.

Nico the Draft Riser

Nov 18, 2017
Im not trying to move Severson im just stating what I think he is seen as by Hynes.

If Severson stays and we dont acquire a top end LD you HAVE TO move Vatanen over to LHD. Let Moore go.

Vatanen-Santini
Mueller-Severson
Greene-Butcher
Lovejoy

Or

*LHD top 2*-Vatanen
Mueller-Severson
Butcher-Santini
Greene-Lovejoy

Problem with acquiring a new dman is who do you move out? Santini only one with value but hes still young...

Darkauron

Jul 14, 2011
South Jersey
Moore is not coming back either way. He is going to get PAID at FA. At least I pray that Shero isnt dumb enough to bring him back.

Greene-Vats
Mueller-Severson
Butch- Santini
Suckjoy

Sucks, but I think this is the most realistic thing that is going to happen

Reactions: AlexTheDevilsFan

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
One has 270+ games, the other has less than a full season under his belt.

so basically you are holding the fact that Severson broke into the league earlier against him

that makes sense

Mueller is never going to produce offense in the NHL. It is much easier to teach a guy to be responsible defensively than it is to have them become a point producer

Reactions: SteveCangialosi123

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
Really hope MoJo is ready to go tomorrow. If they can insert him and Bratt back into the lineup for game 3 I think that would be huge. I'd say take Lovejoy out for sure but a few defensemen have just been bad and we can't take them all out lol

Reactions: MadDog172430

BahlDeep

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal
Mueller was our best defenseman yesterday. He has been one of our better defenseman in most of the games he has played, anyone saying otherwise isn't watching the games or doesn't want to acknowledge it.

"Mueller as a 7th defenseman" Lmao

Reactions: Darkauron

Bologna 1

Aug 5, 2006
Would be nice to get Johansson and bratt in tomorrow. For lovejoy & maybe grabner (I see his TOI was super low yesterday). But I would anticipate Stafford being one of the guys they put in. Which I would vehementely disagree with him in over bratt. Might as well give the kid a shot, bc at least the ceiling of his impact is significantly higher than stafford.

BahlDeep

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal
so basically you are holding the fact that Severson broke into the league earlier against him

that makes sense

Mueller is never going to produce offense in the NHL. It is much easier to teach a guy to be responsible defensively than it is to have them become a point producer
Nope, what I'm saying is that a defenseman who has played more then 270+ games has more in game experience then someone who has only played less then 80 games. Yet, one still makes rookies mistake, and the other one looks like a veteran.

I don't give a shit if Mueller doesn't produce "offense". He has been solid offensively in the sense that he makes the right play, and knows how to jump in the play and he's actually not a liability defensively. He never really got a chance to establish himself. He barely played this year, so I'm not sure how you can quickly jump on the conclusion that he will never produce offensively.

And I rather have a 10-15 point defenseman (I'm positive Mueller can be more then that) who knows how to play defense, then a 25 point defenseman who can barely hold his own defensively.

Nico the Draft Riser

Nov 18, 2017
Greene cannot be a top pair dman for us. He needs to be a #5 with top PK responsibilities.

Vatanen-Santini
Mueller-Severson
Greene-Butcher
Lovejoy

Is what I want to start the year with (without any acquisitions)

HenriquesJawLine

Mar 6, 2009
Greene cannot be a top pair dman for us. He needs to be a #5 with top PK responsibilities.

Vatanen-Santini
Mueller-Severson
Greene-Butcher
Lovejoy

Is what I want to start the year with (without any acquisitions)
So your master plan is to play Vatanen out of position and put Santini in a role where he was the worst d man in the NHL

Reactions: Jets012

Nico the Draft Riser

Nov 18, 2017
So your master plan is to play Vatanen out of position and put Santini in a role where he was the worst d man in the NHL
Vatanen plays both sides and Santini can be 2RD or 3RD idc, that just means youll have Severson on the same Pair as our other best PMD and Butcher on 2nd pair , which im fine with. If Santini needs sheltering put him on the third thats fine.

Vatanen playing LD is not a problem

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
For the life of me I can't figure out how people here can complain about having terrible defense and then also say they don't want Carlson this summer. He'd be by far the best dman we have unless Ray pulled off a miracle trade this summer.

We barely have D prospects, so no one is going to step up next season. We can't keep sitting on our hands saying, "well Severson is going to put it together this season!!!" because he won't. He's just not smart enough to be a top dman in this league.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad