Devils 2017-18 team discussion (player news and notes) VIII - Postseason Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
Moore is not coming back either way. He is going to get PAID at FA. At least I pray that Shero isnt dumb enough to bring him back.

Greene-Vats
Mueller-Severson
Butch- Santini
Suckjoy

Sucks, but I think this is the most realistic thing that is going to happen
I think you're wrong. I think Shero likes Moore and he will be back, otherwise I think he would have been moved at the TDL

Darkauron

Jul 14, 2011
South Jersey
I think you're wrong. I think Shero likes Moore and he will be back, otherwise I think he would have been moved at the TDL

Or you know the kept him for the playoff run...as we were not going to be sellers and it would be incredibly dumb to trade Moore at that point..

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
People don't want to sign Carlson because he's going to get 7-8M and he's not that kind of player. His points have been padded his entire career and he is not a guy who matches up well against the best players of the game.

We need to 1) lose Moore and 2) get a LHD who can play half the game with Vats on the other side.

Unless a 1D is coming back, Severson is probably going to outlive this coaching staff in NJ.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
People don't want to sign Carlson because he's going to get 7-8M and he's not that kind of player. His points have been padded his entire career and he is not a guy who matches up well against the best players of the game.

We need to 1) lose Moore and 2) get a LHD who can play half the game with Vats on the other side.

Unless a 1D is coming back, Severson is probably going to outlive this coaching staff in NJ.

What are you basing it on that his "points are padded"? He was 11th in the league this year in ES points/60. So its not like ALL his points are from the PP.

We can pay for Carlson almost totally with Clowe and Moore's money that is dropping off. Think about that.

Jets012

Oct 19, 2015
I appreciate what Vatanen has done for us, but he's not a top pairing guy. Too inconsistent to be that. Put him on the 2nd or 3rd pairing long-term and he'll excel for us.

Jets012

Oct 19, 2015
Mueller was our best defenseman yesterday. He has been one of our better defenseman in most of the games he has played, anyone saying otherwise isn't watching the games or doesn't want to acknowledge it.

"Mueller as a 7th defenseman" Lmao

Do you watch other teams? This league is all based on transition play and skill. Watch TB, watch NSH, watch PIT, watch BOS. This isn't the stone age. Mueller is a fine depth defenseman. He's pretty reliable in his own zone and makes the "safe play". Good player to have around in case of injury and he can fill in and hold his own on the bottom pairing. But this isn't a league in which defenseman like Mueller are prioritized anymore. You need guys that can dictate play, chip in offensively, and help the team enter and exit the zone. Mueller can't do that.

Jets012

Oct 19, 2015
And unless Santini got DRASTICALLY better over the last few months and over this off-season, he should not be pencilled in to make the roster this off-season. Again, this league is drifting further and further away from defenseman like Santini. If you want him to play on the 3rd pairing next year, fine, but if the opportunity comes to add a top RHD and push Severson/Vats down, then you do that. You don't guarantee someone like Santini a spot. Make him work for one if anything.

Jets012

Oct 19, 2015
And it goes without saying but Moore simply is not smart enough to be on the team next year. If Shero gives him a big contract, that will instantly be a move he lives to regret. Let some other dumb team take his contract on. Have Butcher take his place and do anything you can to get a top LHD.

Reactions: Bleedred

BahlDeep

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal
Do you watch other teams? This league is all based on transition play and skill. Watch TB, watch NSH, watch PIT, watch BOS. This isn't the stone age. Mueller is a fine depth defenseman. He's pretty reliable in his own zone and makes the "safe play". Good player to have around in case of injury and he can fill in and hold his own on the bottom pairing. But this isn't a league in which defenseman like Mueller are prioritized anymore. You need guys that can dictate play, chip in offensively, and help the team enter and exit the zone. Mueller can't do that.

I'm not sure if serious.

You know what you also need? Defensemen that can play in their own zone.

And please, Severson wouldn't be in the top 4 on any the teams you named (Maybe Pittsburgh, but they win because they have 3 top 10 players in their line up).

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
I appreciate what Vatanen has done for us, but he's not a top pairing guy. Too inconsistent to be that. Put him on the 2nd or 3rd pairing long-term and he'll excel for us.

um, he has been excellent as a top pairing guy for us. And thats with coming to the team in the middle of the season and not having a full offseason to recover. He has also had to drag around Andy Greene.

Jets012

Oct 19, 2015
I'm not sure if serious.

You know what you also need? Defensemen that can play in their own zone.

I'd prefer to build a team that isn't in their own zone a lot, but that's just me. The less time you're in you're own zone = the less mistakes you're going to make in your own zone.

And I must have missed the part where Mueller's 2 assists in 390 minutes (neither primary) indicates that he can chip in offensively.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
He probably wont ever play a single game in goal either. Though I'm not sure why that would matter either.

you need to be able to produce SOME type of offense in the NHL nowadays.

Like I said, I like Mueller. But I was responding to the guy who said he will easily be better than Severson. The two guys are the same freaking age. Its likely Mueller tops out as a #4/5 guy, which is totally fine. However, Severson's top end is still higher. You can teach guys to be better positionally.

HoliksGhost

Oct 24, 2007
Moore, Severson and the like are not the problem. Our real problem is we don’t have a complete top D pairing (no offense to Greene).

Fix that problem and the other guys don’t look so bad.

BahlDeep

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal
I'd prefer to build a team that isn't in their own zone a lot, but that's just me. The less time you're in you're own zone = the less mistakes you're going to make in your own zone.

And I must have missed the part where Mueller's 2 assists in 390 minutes (neither primary) indicates that he can chip in offensively.
And with Severson, we are still in our own zone a lot.

And it's funny how you don't consider Vatanen a top pairing defenseman but you think Severson is a #2 defenseman.

What Severson provides offensively is overshadowed by his lack of defense.

Jets012

Oct 19, 2015
um, he has been excellent as a top pairing guy for us. And thats with coming to the team in the middle of the season and not having a full offseason to recover. He has also had to drag around Andy Greene.

Excellent? Ehhh that's a major stretch. And I'm a big Vatanen guy. Was thrilled when we moved Henrique for him. But he still had a negative CF%, FF%, SF%, and HDCF% relative to the team since he's been here. And I understand the deployment, minutes, and playing with Greene doesn't help him.

Not saying Vatanen is bad at all. He's not. He's a good player. But if you want Vatanen's skill-set to be optimized and the team's performance optimized, he would be better served receiving middle pairing minutes and dominating on the Power Play. All the top teams have first pairing defenseman better than Sami. That's just the reality of it.

Jets012

Oct 19, 2015
Moore, Severson and the like are not the problem. Our real problem is we don’t have a complete top D pairing (no offense to Greene).

Fix that problem and the other guys don’t look so bad.

To an extent, this is true. You're right. If we had a legitimate top pairing, everyone would look much much better.

BahlDeep

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal
Excellent? Ehhh that's a major stretch. And I'm a big Vatanen guy. Was thrilled when we moved Henrique for him. But he still had a negative CF%, FF%, SF%, and HDCF% relative to the team since he's been here. And I understand the deployment, minutes, and playing with Greene doesn't help him.

Not saying Vatanen is bad at all. He's not. He's a good player. But if you want Vatanen's skill-set to be optimized and the team's performance optimized, he would be better served receiving middle pairing minutes and dominating on the Power Play. All the top teams have first pairing defenseman better than Sami. That's just the reality of it.
And who should be on our top pairing?

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Mueller was our best defenseman yesterday. He has been one of our better defenseman in most of the games he has played, anyone saying otherwise isn't watching the games or doesn't want to acknowledge it.

"Mueller as a 7th defenseman" Lmao
Lol wut. He didn’t even play 12 minutes at 5 on 5, the least of our defenseman. What the hell are you basing that on?

Reactions: Jets012

Jets012

Oct 19, 2015
And with Severson, we are still in our own zone a lot.

And it's funny how you don't consider Vatanen a top pairing defenseman but you think Severson is a #2 defenseman.

What Severson provides offensively is overshadowed by his lack of defense.

Severson hasn't played like a top pairing defenseman over the past few months. Haven't called him a #2 in quite a while. I agree with you on that.

But it's a fact that we are in our own zone less when Severson is on the ice over the last 3 or so years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad