Devils 2017-18 team discussion (player news and notes) - Offseason part VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
I'm expecting we'll be inviting people to camp. I think we should probably be signing Alex Chiasson to fill that 3rd line RW spot.
I'm actually expecting Simone Despres to end up as a PTO here. He could help us if he can stop leading with his head.

Nubmer6

Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
Vegas is going to have to waive a bunch of defenders. Are there any that aren't just garbage that we may be able to snatch up?

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Does he give up the buyout money if he retires?

No, but it's not permitted to buy out an injured player unless he agrees to it. So it would be bizarre for Despres to agree to the buy out and then retire.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
I'm actually expecting Simone Despres to end up as a PTO here. He could help us if he can stop leading with his head.

Wouldn't mind Despres one bit. He'd come dirt cheap and can challenge Mueller for a everyday roster spot. Having internal competition is always a good thing and we all know Despres is going to get injured eventually, so it's not as if Mueller will watch from the press box for a long stretch if Simon is in a hot streak!

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Hall-Zajac-Palmieri
Johansson-Hischier-McLeod
JQ/Blandisi-PTO/Noesen
Wood-Boyle-PTO/Noesen

I don't want to give up on Blender lol

Yes, I forgot about Johansson.

Last edited:

Nubmer6

Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
No, but it's not permitted to buy out an injured player unless he agrees to it. So it would be bizarre for Despres to agree to the buy out and then retire.

I thought he came off IR during the playoffs last year.

EnglishDevil

Nov 11, 2009
London, UK & Chicago, US
Hall-Zajac-Palmieri
Zacha-Hischier-McLeod
JQ-Blandisi-PTO/Noesen
Wood-Boyle-PTO/Noesen

I don't want to give up on Blender lol

Blandisi doesn't belong anywhere near the 3C role on a team with Zacha, Hischier, Zajac, Henrique, Johansson and possibly McLeod.

He's not a bad player but people need to pump the breaks a little on him, he's much more likely to be the 13th forward or emergency call-up than he is the third line center

EnglishDevil

Nov 11, 2009
London, UK & Chicago, US
Not that it is likely, but Montreal can still trade Chucky if they really want.

I'm guessing they'll give him one final year to prove himself. At the end of next season he'll be in the same situation as Duchene is currently, two years from UFA and a prime candidate to get dealt if he hasn't nailed down a position in the Habs top 6.

Right now I think it would be too much of a 'sell low' scenario for them to consider it.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
I thought he came off IR during the playoffs last year.

Right, so either he is injured and will not play hockey, or is not and will. Him coming off IR implies that he is healthy enough to play.

EnglishDevil

Nov 11, 2009
London, UK & Chicago, US
I don't see Blandisi being part of our long term plans.

Agreed, I think he benefited tremendously from coming in at the right time (when our NHL roster and prospect pools were very weak). It's not like he's disgraced himself, but I don't see anything in his game to be overly excited about either, I suspect he'll be supplanted sooner rather than later by the better prospects we have coming up through our system.

He screams AHL/NHL tweener to me, but I could see him getting another shot in the NHL as a waiver claim once we're done with him as opposed to becoming a fixture down in Binghamton.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
He's not a bad player but people need to pump the breaks a little on him, he's much more likely to be the 13th forward or emergency call-up than he is the third line center

I forgot about Johansson so Zacha can move down to 3C. I think Blandisi played well towards the end of the year and showed chemistry with JQ, that's all. Granted half the team was mailing it in the last two months but I think he played well enough to deserve a look.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
I like Blandisi - he has still only played less than an NHL season and he's played on some horrible teams. He might be able to play both wing and center. The Devils should try him on the PK at some point. He'll take dumb penalties but so will opponents against him. I think there's a useful player there.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Todd Cordell argues the logic of a Adam Henrique for Sami Vatanen deal here:

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Todd...fense-and-a-potential-trade-partner/159/86279

I think this is a deal which makes sense. Two very good but not great players at similar salaries. Anaheim has a glut of D and needs LW/C, the Devils have a glut at LW/C and need D. We could throw in Lovejoy (who would then become ancillary at RD) if the Ducks throw in a 2nd/3rd round pick. Also, teams like making deals of this magnitude outside of the conference.

Devils D would become:
Greene-Severson
Moore-Vatanen
Mueller-Santini

The Devils would still be absolutely desperate for another LD (Markov? Despres?) but would look pretty solid on the right side, especially since it is a reasonable expectation that Santini continues to develop into a very good, physical shut-down rearguard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad