Devils 2017-18 team discussion (player news and notes) - Offseason part VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
No rumors on Alzner, just venting from a random post I saw on AG's twitter. Someone told him that Alzner is exactly what we need and I've also seen it posted on these forums at various times last season and early this offseason.

Another BAD defenseman/bad possessions player is not what we need. We have enough Alzner's skating around as it is.

EnglishDevil

Nov 11, 2009
London, UK & Chicago, US
One player i'd like us to take a look at in FA is Jordan Weal. He could be an astute pickup given how thin we are at RW (especially if Bennett doesn't return), he performed very well with the Flyers last year and is only 25 years old. His style of play also meshes well with what our management is trying to build towards, i'd definitely have no objections to us offering him a contract.

I know he's met with the Canucks, Leafs & Canadiens, but there's supposedly a bunch of other teams interested in him, I hope we're one of them.

Monsieur Verdoux

Dec 6, 2016
Finland
I'm all against overpaying for UFAs. I'm a penny pincher at heart. I don't like spending even when I have it.

That being said, I'm willing to overpay for Shattenkirk for a few reasons:

1. We have nothing in our D pipeline. NOTHING. Even if we got the first pick next year, we're 2 or 3 years away from having a chance of a top pairing D man from within.

2. Shattenkirk just fits our needs so well, and we fit what he's looking for. It's almost like a custom made situation (except that he grew up a Rangers fan).

3. Even if we wait for the rebuild to continue, I can't see any potential 1st pairing D men coming to market. I mean, I think there's been some rumors with Karlson, etc, but I'm not sure how much I believe them, and it's just so rare for someone like this to come to the open market.

I figure Shattenkirk to be a 7year 5.5-6M player. If he was home grown, liked it here, and was up for an extension that's what I'd expect to pay for him. As a UFA, I was willing to go up to 6.5M, but given the 3 points I just made, I'd probably not go ape if he got 7x7, and probably front loaded. I'm just not sure I could justify anything more.

I have been a little bit worried about Shattenkirk's signing, because of his playoff performances and possible deterioration over the years. But all of these Nubmer6's points are very good reasons why we should sign him if it is possible. Yeah, maybe we pay too much for him, but how else we can find as potential offensive TOP4-Dman as Shattenkirk is? I also expect that if Shattenkirk signs with the Devils Shero tries to add another Dman via trade this or next summer.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
One player i'd like us to take a look at in FA is Jordan Weal. He could be an astute pickup given how thin we are at RW (especially if Bennett doesn't return), he performed very well with the Flyers last year and is only 25 years old. His style of play also meshes well with what our management is trying to build towards, i'd definitely have no objections to us offering him a contract.

I know he's met with the Canucks, Leafs & Canadiens, but there's supposedly a bunch of other teams interested in him, I hope we're one of them.

I'm all for adding skill and offense, but at some point we do need to address the toughness of this team. Weal is 5-10 and not even a buck 80 and brings no physicality. By no means do I want to add useless pluggers to fill the bottom 6 that only add physicality, but it wouldn't hurt to add some grit.

Its a Trap

Yes I’m still here to piss you off

How good is he defensively? Is he more of a liability then any of our current RW?

I'm honestly fine with letting DSP toil away in the AHL if we can give ice time to someone with a brighter future.

EnglishDevil

Nov 11, 2009
London, UK & Chicago, US
I'm all for adding skill and offense, but at some point we do need to address the toughness of this team. Weal is 5-10 and not even a buck 80 and brings no physicality. By no means do I want to add useless pluggers to fill the bottom 6 that only add physicality, but it wouldn't hurt to add some grit.

I don't disagree, but those gritty skilled guys are hard to find. We have a couple of bigger forwards in Wood & Noesen, hopefully this year Zacha can improve the physical aspect of his game as well. I wouldn't really call Henrique or Palmieri 'soft' either, even if physical play isn't a huge component of their games.

It would be nice to add a bit more grit without sacrificing skill though, hopefully Bastian can eventually be one of those ever more valuable power forward types.

217 Forever

Sep 15, 2014
I have been a little bit worried about Shattenkirk's signing, because of his playoff performances and possible deterioration over the years. But all of these Nubmer6's points are very good reasons why we should sign him if it is possible. Yeah, maybe we pay too much for him, but how else we can find as potential offensive TOP4-Dman as Shattenkirk is? I also expect that if Shattenkirk signs with the Devils Shero tries to add another Dman via trade this or next summer.

If we don't make a serious push for KS (or Schultz as plan b I guess) then that will tell me everything I need to know about where we are heading as a franchise. It is not often that players with a certain skill set that fits a glaring need (and no in house option exists) are available when you have the cap space for such a transaction. Talking about potential issues five years down the road is beyond over-analyzing a situation, especially when at the moment he would be the only known potential problem.

This is a no-brainer.

Its a Trap

If we don't make a serious push for KS (or Schultz as plan b I guess) then that will tell me everything I need to know about where we are heading as a franchise. It is not often that players with a certain skill set that fits a glaring need (and no in house option exists) are available when you have the cap space for such a transaction. Talking about potential issues five years down the road is beyond over-analyzing a situation, especially when at the moment he would be the only known potential problem.

This is a no-brainer.

Non-sense. Totally logical to be worried about the only money heavy contract we'd have on the books in 5 years. Totally logical:sarcasm:

nugg

NJ Hammerhead Bats!
Apr 27, 2002
Central Jersey

This is a no-brainer.

Schultz is a restricted FA. Pittsburgh qualified him.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
I *REALLY* don't like Schultz, probably because of his disasterous time in Edmonton. Yes, he did much better in Pittsburgh, but so did Lovejoy. I don't know if Pitt brings out the best in defensemen, or it just suits the style of some of them, but I'm gun-shy now.

Its a Trap

I *REALLY* don't like Schultz, probably because of his disasterous time in Edmonton. Yes, he did much better in Pittsburgh, but so did Lovejoy. I don't know if Pitt brings out the best in defensemen, or it just suits the style of some of them, but I'm gun-shy now.

No, they just play him perfectly. Dude's an offensive genius but he doesn't know which way is up in his own zone. He starts in his own zone just 28% of the time 5-on-5.

The Blues fans said Shattenkirk played on their 2nd PK unit for a couple seasons. Putting Justin Schultz on a penalty kill would be like throwing a trout at a bear.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I'd take Schultz if he were available, but I wouldn't expect him to score 51 points again this year. I'd also rather Moore not be here if we had Schultz.

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
I may be in the minority here, but I really want Shattenkirk and Radulov, and aside from those two, ZERO of the free agents on the market interest me at all. The only one that did was Brendan Smith but he is now gone.

I really want Shattenkirk and I really really want Radulov. My close friend is a Canadiens fan and we would watch Habs games all the time, from game 1 of regular season to game 6 of their playoff exit, Radulov was the best player on the Habs(excluding Price). Not even close in my opinion.

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
I'd take Schultz if he were available, but I wouldn't expect him to score 51 points again this year. I'd also rather Moore not be here if we had Schultz.

Schultz is basically an upgrade on Moore. He's an elite mid-pairing defenseman. You don't want to play him against top competition because he'll get eaten alive.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Send Mcleod and Hischier back to junior, Wood, Quenneville, Zacha and Santini to Binghamton​

sign Shattenkirk, Thornton, Marleau and Radulov

Hall Thornton Radulov
Marleau Zajac Palmieri
Blandisi Henrique Noesen
Pietila Coleman Lappin

Greene Shattenkirk
Moore Lovejoy
Mueller Severson

Am I doing it right?

Its a Trap

Send Mcleod and Hischier back to junior, Wood, Quenneville, Zacha and Santini to Binghamton​

sign Shattenkirk, Thornton, Marleau and Radulov

Hall Thornton Radulov
Marleau Zajac Palmieri
Blandisi Henrique Noesen
Pietila Coleman Lappin

Greene Shattenkirk
Moore Lovejoy
Mueller Severson

Am I doing it right?

No? Who said to do this? Anywhere at all in the last two days?

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
I started off not wanting Shattenkirk because I figured he'd be too expensive. I'm now at the point where not only do I want him here, I'll be pretty dissapointed if we don't get him, especially if the Rags get him.

This is beginning to feel like the Vesey thing last year to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad