Devils 2017-18 team discussion (player news and notes) - Offseason part VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hellraiser

Jun 12, 2015
New Jersey
Sakic is still holding out to find a better deal for Duchene. I can only imagine what he'll command for Barrie. It wouldn't even be worth it for what we'll have to give up cause IMO Sakic doesnt pull the trigger unless he feels his team wins the deal

Colin226

NJ Devils STH
Jan 14, 2011
Central NJ
Sakic is still holding out to find a better deal for Duchene. I can only imagine what he'll command for Barrie. It wouldn't even be worth it for what we'll have to give up cause IMO Sakic doesnt pull the trigger unless he feels his team wins the deal

I agree. He's got to feel he's winning a deal here to make one, given the position he and the team are in.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
I agree. He's got to feel he's winning a deal here to make one, given the position he and the team are in.

I think now that Duchene and his agent have voiced their displeasure, the offers aren't going to get any better and he's going to have to pull the trigger on a deal.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
If we can trade Lovejoy and 2nd for Demers that would be an incredible move. Absolutely fantastic.

I'd even eat 50% on Lovejoy for two years to get it done, his inclusion would be more about freeing up a spot on defence.

I'd include Blandisi if it meant we could downgrade the pick. I don't really see a fit for him, and I'd rather not risk losing him for nothing via waivers. Florida could also probably use the cheap, young body given their situation.

Demers for Lovejoy, Blandisi and 2019 3rd OR 2018 4th
Agree, agree, agree.

The only sticky subject there is Blender. I like him as a player, but I can't pass on that deal.

But Florida must really want to cut payroll for this to be a thing. I would think.

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ

Or, just sell off Landeskog, Duchene, and others for the absolute best deals you can get, keep Barrie/Mackinnon/Rantanen/Jost/Zadorov/Makar as your core, and sign some veterans to 1 year deals to help mentor the young core (See Toronto adding Hainsey/Moore/Marleau), and continue to build through the draft

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Oh snap! I thought he wasn't exempt? That changes things a bit.

Seems like capfriendly updated his waiver status.

They originally had him signing as a 21 year old which would mean once he hits 80 games he would be waiver-eligible, which he is 12 games away from (and was on track to require waivers this year). Seems like they changed his signing age to 20 which means he has to play 100 something games to be waiver-eligible.

On the Demers for Lovejoy + Blandisi + pick, I think a big reason for them moving Demers is to free up a RHD spot for Pysyk and Petrovic behind Ekblad. I'm not too sure if they'd be willing to take Lovejoy in return, but I would love it if that deal went down.

Last edited:

ghdi

Feb 4, 2009
NJ

We have no players that aren't waivers exempt this year. Next year there will be a handful including Blandisi, but not this year. We can send him up and down as often as we want.

Blandisi only has 2 years and 68 games played. He needs 3 years or 160 games played for waiver exemption.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
We don't have to waive Blandisi. He's waiver exempt til the 18-19 season.

He doesn't have the games played or years of service that puts him in the waivers category yet.

Oh wow. I could've sworn Blandisi was waiver eligible starting this season. Was that updated fairly recently?

I'd probably still include him as a mini-sweetener just so we can downgrade the pick in that package. I like Blender, but we're suddenly stocked with young forwards infiltrating the lineup through the bottom-6. I'm worried he may get lost in the fray.

ghdi

Feb 4, 2009
NJ
Oh wow. I could've sworn Blandisi was waiver eligible starting this season. Was that updated fairly recently?

I'd probably still include him as a mini-sweetener just so we can downgrade the pick in that package. I like Blender, but we're suddenly stocked with young forwards infiltrating the lineup through the bottom-6. I'm worried he may get lost in the fray.

Not that I know of. The calculator has been up there for a while and the CBA has not changed.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Blandisi signed at age 21, so capfriendly has that wrong. But he does only need another 12 NHL games to no longer be waiver-exempt.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I don't know if I want to see Blandisi go. He seems like a very useful player. He has produced both in the ahl and in the nhl and I think at this point it would be premature to trade him?

Especially with another year of waiver eligibility, there is no need to make any hasty decisions.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Essentially the same age as Shattenkirk.

June 1988 vs January 1989.

They did offer Shatty a 4-5 year deal...but Shatty's more of a difference maker than Demers tbh. Demers is one of these nice complementary players who'd come here and people would be screaming that he isn't any good because he isn't great offensively and he'd look worse than he is defensively surrounded by dreck.

Missionhockey

Jul 6, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
I don't know if Blandisi has a future here because I just don't believe he'll be able to jump over the guys in front of him. Guys he has no shot of beating out are Hall, Henrique, Zacha, and Johansson. I bet Quenneville and Wood are ahead of him too, so where does that leave him? If he can go back to the AHL, great, it buys the Devils more time to figure something out but I don't think they are going to bend over backwards for him.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
I don't know if I want to see Blandisi go. He seems like a very useful player. He has produced both in the ahl and in the nhl and I think at this point it would be premature to trade him?

Especially with another year of waiver eligibility, there is no need to make any hasty decisions.

i'm kind of over him, to be honest. i could go either way

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
Blandisi has 26 points in 68 games for a .38 ppg. And thats with only averaging 14:42 minutes of ice time over the past 2 seasons. Give him ~16:30 of ice time, and he'll be a 35-40 point player. Thats pretty good. I like Blandisi and think he deserves a chance to crack this lineup.

Lets put it this way:
Joe Blandisi and Pavel Zacha have identical career stats to date: 8 goals and 18 assists. However Zacha has 3 more games played. They're only 2 years apart in age.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
26 points in 68 games on this team for rookie is nothing to sneeze at. Plus putting up .83 ppg in the AHL.

Blandisi's numbers are essentially what Zacha just did as rookie.

Of course I'm not comparing the two, I just think maybe we're jumping the gun on Blandisi.

EnglishDevil

Nov 11, 2009
London, UK & Chicago, US
Blandisi has 26 points in 68 games for a .38 ppg. And thats with only averaging 14:42 minutes of ice time over the past 2 seasons. Give him ~16:30 of ice time, and he'll be a 35-40 point player. Thats pretty good. I like Blandisi and think he deserves a chance to crack this lineup.

Lets put it this way:
Joe Blandisi and Pavel Zacha have identical career stats to date: 8 goals and 18 assists. However Zacha has 3 more games played. They're only 2 years apart in age.

Two years makes an enormous difference in the context of a 19 year old versus a 21 year old playing their first games in the NHL.

I personally don't have high hopes for Blandisi beyond that of a fourth line energy guy, but even if I were more optimistic about him I don't see a lot of merit in comparing his stats so far to Zacha.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad