Devils 2017-18 team discussion (player news and notes) - Offseason part VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I'm not the worlds' biggest Blandisi fan but he did pick it up down the stretch, problem is like Triumph would say about Beau Bennett - he picked it up after nobody was watching - though looking at his game log he did go scoreless in his final seven games and his icetime dropped.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Blandisi has 26 points in 68 games for a .38 ppg. And thats with only averaging 14:42 minutes of ice time over the past 2 seasons. Give him ~16:30 of ice time, and he'll be a 35-40 point player. Thats pretty good. I like Blandisi and think he deserves a chance to crack this lineup.

Lets put it this way:
Joe Blandisi and Pavel Zacha have identical career stats to date: 8 goals and 18 assists. However Zacha has 3 more games played. They're only 2 years apart in age.

We posted the same idea at the same time. Lol

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Two years makes an enormous difference in the context of a 19 year old versus a 21 year old playing their first games in the NHL.

I personally don't have high hopes for Blandisi beyond that of a fourth line energy guy, but even if I were more optimistic about him I don't see a lot of merit in comparing his stats so far to Zacha.

Of course there is a difference. But the overarching point is that he has actually done something with his opportunity

Missionhockey

Jul 6, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
Hall-Zajac-Palmieri
Johansson-Henrique-McLeod
Zacha-Hischier-Noesson
Quennville-Boyle-Wood?

I putting Mcleod on the wing makes sense at least at first. Someone will eventually get injured and he can fill in after, plus it eases him in a bit. I'm tempted to put him on the top line just because watching him and Hall fly up and down the ice would be incredible regardless of how many goals they give up :laugh:

However, whether it's Hischier or McLeod, I think only one should play center at first. Hynes needs to protect his young centers at first and give them favorable match ups, not just throw them to the wolves. Zacha is pretty good defensively and very skilled, so they seem like a good fit together.

Greene-Santini
Mueller-Severson
Moore-Lovejoy

I think that makes the most sense. I had a hard time putting Mueller on the second pairing, but who else do you put there? It wouldn't surprise me if Hynes flips the third pair with the second pair.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
I don't know if this is a technicality or not...but he actually signed before he turned 21.

Birth: July 18, 1994
https://www.nhl.com/devils/news/devils-sign-free-agent-c-joseph-blandisi/c-748689

I don't think the age when the contract is started is what they go off of. I believe they have an age by a certain date when it comes to the contract age they use.

Not sure if Blandisi is 20 or 21 by the criteria, but it seems like the circumstances of his signing age and contract keep flipping back and forth. First it was his expansion draft eligibility and now this. :help:

EnglishDevil

Nov 11, 2009
London, UK & Chicago, US
Of course there is a difference. But the overarching point is that he has actually done something with his opportunity

He has the typical consistency issues you expect from younger players, but he's certainly looked good at points (and bad at others).

My stance on Blandisi is that going forward I expect we'll have better options than him, making it likely he'll be squeezed out of the organization as a casualty of the numbers game.

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
Hall - Zajac - Palmieri
Johansson - Hischier - Zacha
Henrique - McLeod - Quenneville
Wood - Boyle - Noesen
Blandisi, Speers

Greene - Santini
Moore - Severson
Mueller - Lovejoy
Prout

Schneider
Kinkaid

I still think there will be more additions between now and October, but that looks ok for now I guess. Still not a playoff team. Still think trading Henrique would be a bit stupid. The guy is arguably our best pure goal scorer - i think he and Palmieri are dead equal - and we are a team that year after year cannot score goals. Don't move Henrique. Hell, I'd rather role with our current defense corps for next season, and try to address the D 1 year from now, than trade Henrique.

dali

Oct 14, 2006
Tough building
Just a random question: Let's say Vegas puts Jon Merrill on waivers come October. Would the Devils be able to put a claim on him (should Shero want it) or would there be an embargo like on trades between Vegas and the players' original teams?

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
I still like Blandisi and love having him as an option for the bottom 6 over your Ruutus or your DSPs. I think he's gonna be a good bottom 6 winger that can contribute on the PP as well. He could work well with Wood and Boyle on the 4th line and on the second PP unit.

Edmonton East

BUT the ADvaNCEd STatS...
Nov 25, 2007
Hall-Zajac-Palmieri
Johansson-Henrique-McLeod
Zacha-Hischier-Noesson
Quennville-Boyle-Wood?

I putting Mcleod on the wing makes sense at least at first. Someone will eventually get injured and he can fill in after, plus it eases him in a bit. I'm tempted to put him on the top line just because watching him and Hall fly up and down the ice would be incredible regardless of how many goals they give up :laugh:

However, whether it's Hischier or McLeod, I think only one should play center at first. Hynes needs to protect his young centers at first and give them favorable match ups, not just throw them to the wolves. Zacha is pretty good defensively and very skilled, so they seem like a good fit together.

Greene-Santini
Mueller-Severson
Moore-Lovejoy

I think that makes the most sense. I had a hard time putting Mueller on the second pairing, but who else do you put there? It wouldn't surprise me if Hynes flips the third pair with the second pair.

Would be shocked if McLeod makes the team this year, unless Nico doesn't.

Hall-Zajac-Palmieri
Johansson-Henrique-Hischier
JQ-Zacha-Wood
Blandisi-Boyle-Noeson

Struggling with what the bottom 6 would look like.

Engineer

Rustled your jimmies
Dec 23, 2013
Their waivers faq states:

Age is defined by the following CBA 13.4:
-If a player turns 18 between January 1 and September 15 in the entry-draft calendar year preceding the first season of the players entry-level contract, they are considered 18
-If a player turns 19 before December 31 in the entry-draft calendar year preceding the first season of the players entry-level contract, they are considered 19
-If a player turns 20 before December 31 in the entry-draft calendar year preceding the first season of the players entry-level contract, they are considered 20, and so on.

For players whom are 20 or older, the year in which they play their first Professional Game (e.g. NHL, AHL, ECHL, KHL, European Leagues) is the year which is considered their first year towards the waiver exemption; however, the player must be under an NHL contract.
https://www.capfriendly.com/waivers-faq

Blandisi was 20 based on that age definition, and his first year he didnt play any pro-games, therefore has only completed two

Cult of Hynes

Hynes is never wrong.
Nov 9, 2010
Henrique centering any line at this point, barring injuries, given the center prospects we have is pretty god damn foolish.

Too slow to play the position IMO. He coasts too much for it as well.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Rumors can be juicy but next time ask a mod first BEFORE posting stuff claiming insider knowledge.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
My way, way too early lines...

Hall - Zajac - Palmieri
Henrique - Hischier - Johansson
Zacha - McLeod - Blandisi
Quenneville/Wood - Boyle - Noesen/Speers

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I still think McLeod gets sent back to juniors. I'm pretty sure he isn't AHL eligible?

I also swore Kalinin wouldn't make the team in 2015-2016 when people had him penciled in, and then he wound up being on the opening night roster. And I didn't even yet realize that he'd be as useless as he was.

Desert Devil

Legend
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
Just a random question: Let's say Vegas puts Jon Merrill on waivers come October. Would the Devils be able to put a claim on him (should Shero want it) or would there be an embargo like on trades between Vegas and the players' original teams?

I believe we could. We are allowed to trade for him if we want to.

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
I still think McLeod gets sent back to juniors. I'm pretty sure he isn't AHL eligible?

I also swore Kalinin wouldn't make the team in 2015-2016 when people had him penciled in, and then he wound up being on the opening night roster. And I didn't even yet realize that he'd be as useless as he was.
McLeod is not AHL eligible. I wouldn't mind him spending another year in the CHL, but if he makes the NHL then that's good too.

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
Would be shocked if McLeod makes the team this year, unless Nico doesn't.

Hall-Zajac-Palmieri
Johansson-Henrique-Hischier
JQ-Zacha-Wood
Blandisi-Boyle-Noeson

Struggling with what the bottom 6 would look like.
I'm expecting we'll be inviting people to camp. I think we should probably be signing Alex Chiasson to fill that 3rd line RW spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad