Devils 2017-18 team discussion (player news and notes) - Offseason part VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I don't know why Bastian didn't score more goals this past season. Last development camp his shot looked very good and he seems to have very good hands too.

I'm still hoping that his last season numbers were largely a result of injury and that he does enough in Binghamton to be on of our early call ups.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
Todd Cordell argues the logic of a Adam Henrique for Sami Vatanen deal here:

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Todd...fense-and-a-potential-trade-partner/159/86279

I think this is a deal which makes sense. Two very good but not great players at similar salaries. Anaheim has a glut of D and needs LW/C, the Devils have a glut at LW/C and need D. We could throw in Lovejoy (who would then become ancillary at RD) if the Ducks throw in a 2nd/3rd round pick. Also, teams like making deals of this magnitude outside of the conference.

Devils D would become:
Greene-Severson
Moore-Vatanen
Mueller-Santini

The Devils would still be absolutely desperate for another LD (Markov? Despres?) but would look pretty solid on the right side, especially since it is a reasonable expectation that Santini continues to develop into a very good, physical shut-down rearguard.

Adding Vatanen AND moving Lovejoy for a pick would be a absolute steal for us, that's why I rather not get my hopes up cause yes, it does make sense for both sides.

Edmonton East

BUT the ADvaNCEd STatS...
Nov 25, 2007
Would be shocked if McLeod makes the team this year, unless Nico doesn't.

Hall-Zajac-Palmieri
Johansson-Henrique-Hischier
JQ-Zacha-Wood
Blandisi-Boyle-Noeson

Struggling with what the bottom 6 would look like.

I'm expecting we'll be inviting people to camp. I think we should probably be signing Alex Chiasson to fill that 3rd line RW spot.

Eh, I'm sure people will be invited, but I don't see much room for additions at the moment. The only person you can argue out of that top 9 is Wood, so I do see your point.

I'm very confident JQ starts the season in the top 9. Also believe Nico will start on the wing (probably right).

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I don't know why Bastian didn't score more goals this past season. Last development camp his shot looked very good and he seems to have very good hands too.

I'm still hoping that his last season numbers were largely a result of injury and that he does enough in Binghamton to be on of our early call ups.

Playing center? Maybe doesn't have much of a goal scorers mindset?

Steelhead fans were coming here and saying he has the best hockey IQ on that team. But maybe that was really Bastian making safe smart defense oriented plays?

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
I believe Bastian's problem was his move to center. I think you saw it in his game. He is a winger, a big strong RW who i believe will develop into a nice power forward for us. I just hope with how the teams prospects are that the trial at center is over.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
I believe Bastian's problem was his move to center. I think you saw it in his game. He is a winger, a big strong RW who i believe will develop into a nice power forward for us. I just hope with how the teams prospects are that the trial at center is over.

That's an interesting take.

He didn't wow me at all and I watched a lot of Mississauga in the playoffs. Maybe he looks better at RW.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
Todd Cordell argues the logic of a Adam Henrique for Sami Vatanen deal here:

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Todd...fense-and-a-potential-trade-partner/159/86279

I think this is a deal which makes sense. Two very good but not great players at similar salaries. Anaheim has a glut of D and needs LW/C, the Devils have a glut at LW/C and need D. We could throw in Lovejoy (who would then become ancillary at RD) if the Ducks throw in a 2nd/3rd round pick. Also, teams like making deals of this magnitude outside of the conference.

Devils D would become:
Greene-Severson
Moore-Vatanen
Mueller-Santini

The Devils would still be absolutely desperate for another LD (Markov? Despres?) but would look pretty solid on the right side, especially since it is a reasonable expectation that Santini continues to develop into a very good, physical shut-down rearguard.
If the rumors are true and the Ducks have an internal cap, I doubt they take Lovejoy for a pick. It's more likely they take a pick from us for a player, or we swap another set of players.

I also suspect like the price for Vatanen is higher. D are at a premium right now. It's a seller's market.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
I'd view Bastian becoming a decent 4th liner as a success. With the influx of talent from this past draft he's just an afterthought for me.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
That's an interesting take.

He didn't wow me at all and I watched a lot of Mississauga in the playoffs. Maybe he looks better at RW.
I'm sure moving from 1RW to 2C affected his numbers, not just because he's learning C, but also it affected the talent on his line.

Also, I remember somewhere Shero saying the hope was that he develops into a C, which makes no sense to me since we're loaded at C.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
I'm sure moving from 1RW to 2C affected his numbers, not just because he's learning C, but also it affected the talent on his line.

Also, I remember somewhere Shero saying the hope was that he develops into a C, which makes no sense to me since we're loaded at C.

Oh yeah, Mississauga was a one-line team. McLeod propped up whoever was on his line, Tippett was a goal scoring machine but played very poorly with linemates, Ryan McLeod is skilled but still very young, and the rest of the line-up was a bunch of grinders or overagers.

Bastian was also stuck with Tippett most of the year because Tippett played very poorly with McLeod.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Given his dip in production I don't see why Dev's wouldn't want another season juniors for him.

I also see Bastian moving on from Mississauga while McLeod plays another year as rather odd.

I know Bastian has the AHL option and McLeod does not, but if McLeod could use another year in juniors, then certainly Bastian could as well.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Given his dip in production I don't see why Dev's wouldn't want another season juniors for him.

I also see Bastian moving on from Mississauga while McLeod plays another year as rather odd.

I know Bastian has the AHL option and McLeod does not, but if McLeod could use another year in juniors, then certainly Bastian could as well.

The talent in Mississauga looks to be awful next year, especially if McLeod makes the Devils.

It's basically Ryan McLeod, Tippett, and a bunch of gritty forwards without much scoring ability. They're also losing some of their better defensemen as well.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
I don't agree... we're badly in need of scoring talent on RW. Not saying he will develop, but we can't write him off just yet.

Oh we definitely need talent on RW, I just don't think it's all that realistic to project him to be a top 6 guy. 16 goals 45 points in 58 games? That's just awful. Relative to my expectations at the moment, him being an NHL 4th liner would be considered a success.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Oh yeah, Mississauga was a one-line team. McLeod propped up whoever was on his line, Tippett was a goal scoring machine but played very poorly with linemates, Ryan McLeod is skilled but still very young, and the rest of the line-up was a bunch of grinders or overagers.

Bastian was also stuck with Tippett most of the year because Tippett played very poorly with McLeod.

In addition to his 44 goals, Tippett also had 31 assists. 2 more then Bastian.

Laying the blame for any offensive struggles on Tippett looks pretty shaky on paper.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
In addition to his 44 goals, Tippett also had 31 assists. 2 more then Bastian.

Laying the blame for any offensive struggles on Tippett looks pretty shaky on paper.

I watched a lot of their games.

Tippett reminds me a lot of Palmieri. They seem to be incredibly hard players to play with and don't play too well with most players, but find ways to score goals.

Bastian also was not on the first PP unit for most of the year, which I presume a lot of Tippett's points came from.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
The talent in Mississauga looks to be awful next year, especially if McLeod makes the Devils.

It's basically Ryan McLeod, Tippett, and a bunch of gritty forwards without much scoring ability. They're also losing some of their better defensemen as well.

I expect Hague to stay down there another year. Tippett is a probably. Aside from McLeod and Bastian, Watson would be the only top 6 scorer to move out.

Darkauron

Jul 14, 2011
South Jersey
If Bastian ends up as a only as a 4th liner I'll be pretty disappointed. Id be very happy with him being a 3rd liner though.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Oh we definitely need talent on RW, I just don't think it's all that realistic to project him to be a top 6 guy. 16 goals 45 points in 58 games? That's just awful. Relative to my expectations at the moment, him being an NHL 4th liner would be considered a success.
He did have an injury.

Ironically those numbers are almost identical to Quenneville's draft +1. Who also suffered an injury.

Quenneville seems to be on a pretty good track.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
He did have an injury.

Ironically those numbers are almost identical to Quenneville's draft +1. Who also suffered an injury.

Quenneville seems to be on a pretty good track.

JQ looks pretty promising, but who knows if he'll be a good NHL player? It'd be great if Bastian follows that development path, but that would surprise me more than if he busted.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
If the rumors are true and the Ducks have an internal cap, I doubt they take Lovejoy for a pick. It's more likely they take a pick from us for a player, or we swap another set of players.

I also suspect like the price for Vatanen is higher. D are at a premium right now. It's a seller's market.

Two-way LW/Cs who can score 25-30 goals do not exactly grow on trees, either. To say that the Ducks can get more for Vatanen than Henrique in this market is a stretch.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I watched a lot of their games.

Tippett reminds me a lot of Palmieri. They seem to be incredibly hard players to play with and don't play too well with most players, but find ways to score goals.

Bastian also was not on the first PP unit for most of the year, which I presume a lot of Tippett's points came from.

How was Bastian defensively?

I keep hearing foot speed as a criticism... I'd imagine a knee injury wouldn't lend itself well to a player with foot speed issues?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad