Prospect Info: Detroit Red Wings Prospect Thread 2017-18 I

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
Interesting that you like his skating. I thought that was one of his bigger weaknesses during his looks in the pre-season. I think he is a poor start and stop skater which is a lot more important in NA in my opinion. I also think a part of that was he struggled with the pace he needs to make decisions, but I thought he would need to work on a lot of things to make it. Glad to hear he is having a good season. Sulak has some offensive gifts, like Redder Winger though had big reservations after the post-season. I will be curious to see how he looks in camp in the fall.
I thought he looked simply bad in development camp & pre-season. But it's pretty obvious that you don't do as well as he has this year (not just in stats) unless you have some serious talent. All I'm saying is he will need time to learn the NA game, and if you're looking for high-end talent he's exactly the type of guy to go for. Could very well be that he can never transition to the small ice and different style of game, but they've got to give him a proper chance. You can always make room if you want to.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I don't think he has any other options than trying to steal a Wings job straight on.

And I wouldn't hold my breath about it.

LD positions are still locked for a while.

When Kronner is retired and Green/Daley/Ericsson traded, it's pretty much Cholowski-Dekeyser-Ouellet who man the left side and we slide RhD kids in year-by-year.

I see this as a plan as far as 2020. Sulak could be 7th D at maximum.

LD should be very much up for grabs. If our kids can't steal a job from Dekeyser or Ouellet, we got issues.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
The WHL trade deadline is at 3 pm (MST) today and Cholowski is considered the “top prize.” Prince George scratched him last night for obvious reasons.

cjm502

Bingo Bango!
Jun 22, 2010
Mid Michigan
Would this make Portland a contender for the Memorial cup? I know there is much less parity in the CHL and there are usually a handful of powerhouse teams fighting for championship.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
Would this make Portland a contender for the Memorial cup? I know there is much less parity in the CHL and there are usually a handful of powerhouse teams fighting for championship.

Portland is 1st in their division but it’s a crazy year in the WHL with Kelowna, Brandon, Swifty and Moose Jaw all in the CHL top 10. The trade deadline was also a fricking arms race this year. Bean joined tri city, Clague went to Moose Jaw (interesting to see Brandon, a top 10 team in sell mode).

Zablocki was also traded to Victoria for those interested.

WHL Trade Deadline 2018: Live Blog – WHL Network

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
Givani Smith traded to Kitchener.

Here's more info :

The Kitchener Rangers announced today they have acquired right winger Givani Smith from the Guelph Storm.
In exchange, the Storm will receive:
  • 2nd round pick (MIS) in the 2021 OHL Priority Selection
  • 2nd round pick (WSR) in 2024
  • Conditional 2nd round pick (KIT) in 2025

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
I don't really follow the WHL. For those of you that do, how do you think the trades with effect Cholo, Rams, and Zoblowski?

Starting in February, Tri-city and Portland have 6 head to head matchups. Hopefully, Rasmussen is back int the line up by then.

Victoria is his 4th WHL team in 2 seasons. Wonder if that's just bad luck or something else going on.

The sense I get is he is one of those players that leaves you wanting more. One team moves on from him and another feels they can get a little more out of him.

Anecdotally, one of my best friends is from the same home town and has met Zablocki a couple of times. By his account he is solid guy.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Where was Hronek ranked in the prospect list a the start of the year? And where would he be ranked now? Lower or higher? He seems to be having a pretty decent start to his professional career.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
I don't really follow the WHL. For those of you that do, how do you think the trades with effect Cholo, Rams, and Zoblowski?

Cholowski should still be a top defensemen in Portland, as he was in PG. Jokiharju is really the only defensemen putting up numbers on that Portland defense, so there's good reason Cholowski will still be getting PP time. Portland needed a defensemen like Cholowski badly, the take some pressur eoff Jokiharju.

It will be interesting to see how they do...their forwards are great and Cholowski could see his numbers jump a little bit higher even. PG was not a very good team, and he still produced PPG numbers.

Martinez

Go Blue
Oct 10, 2015
Where was Hronek ranked in the prospect list a the start of the year? And where would he be ranked now? Lower or higher? He seems to be having a pretty decent start to his professional career.
1. Svech
2. Hronek
3. Rasmussen
4. Cholowski
5. Saarijarvi

Svech probably played himself out of the number 1 spot

Last edited:
Reactions: PG Canuck

Lgw

Feb 4, 2016
Brandon traded Clauge and Tanner kaspic at the deadline. We were all shocked here in brandon but the reality is that their division is so stacked a long playoff run was unlikely. Especially with Regina also loading up for the memorial cup. Moosejaw is unreal and has to be the memorial cup favorite after this trade. Braden Burke is an unreal player who isn' drafted or signed yet and should be getting a serious look. He was by far the best player the last two times brandon played them 9 points in two games.

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
Braden Burke is an unreal player who isn' drafted or signed yet and should be getting a serious look. He was by far the best player the last two times brandon played them 9 points in two games.

He's got 84 pts in 41 games, he'd be worth a look for sure.

Martinez

Go Blue
Oct 10, 2015
Brandon traded Clauge and Tanner kaspic at the deadline. We were all shocked here in brandon but the reality is that their division is so stacked a long playoff run was unlikely. Especially with Regina also loading up for the memorial cup. Moosejaw is unreal and has to be the memorial cup favorite after this trade. Braden Burke is an unreal player who isn' drafted or signed yet and should be getting a serious look. He was by far the best player the last two times brandon played them 9 points in two games.
I watch Moosejaws highlights after every game to see Woo but I swear every time it seems like Burke and almeida put on a show. Mem favorites for sure

Reactions: Lgw

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Cholowski registered his first assist as a Winterhawk in his second game last night. They play their third game in as many days today.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad