Prospect Info: Detroit Red Wings Prospect Thread 2017-18 I

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
pronmans top 50 prospect list (less than 50 NHL games total/25 in a single season) didn't have any red wings on it. rasmussen was HM, with about 20 other players.

it's on theathletic.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
pronmans top 50 prospect list (less than 50 NHL games total/25 in a single season) didn't have any red wings on it. rasmussen was HM, with about 20 other players.

it's on theathletic.

It's bizarre to me that this guy is paid for his opinions. He has a Pronman model hockey player he likes and if you fit the mold, he overrates you.

But there hasn't been much evidence, so far, that there's any thing to his mold.

Reactions: NickH8

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
It's bizarre to me that this guy is paid for his opinions. He has a Pronman model hockey player he likes and if you fit the mold, he overrates you.

But there hasn't been much evidence, so far, that there's any thing to his mold.

I don't think he's the best out there, but I don't really get the hate. Two guys he was higher on that hit than most off the top of my head would be Kucherov and Arvidsson.

He also explains his rankings pretty well and is open to answering questions. I only really pay attention to hockeyprospect.com, McKenzie, Button, and Pronman... personally. Future Considerations is decent.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
I don't think he's the best out there, but I don't really get the hate. Two guys he was higher on that hit than most off the top of my head would be Kucherov and Arvidsson.

He also explains his rankings pretty well and is open to answering questions. I only really pay attention to hockeyprospect.com, McKenzie, Button, and Pronman... personally. Future Considerations is decent.

I don't hate. He's just definitely got a mold that he uses and I'm not sure it's based on anything other than personal preference.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I don't hate. He's just definitely got a mold that he uses and I'm not sure it's based on anything other than personal preference.

I don't disagree that he has a type. He really probably overvalues skill (or perceived skill), sometimes at the expense of size and/or skating. But with the way the league is going, prioritizing skill over everything else doesn't seem like the worse methodology in the world, in my opinion.

My bigger issue with him is when he ranks drafted prospects, he holds on too tightly to where he had guys with his pre-draft rankings.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
I don't disagree that he has a type. He really probably overvalues skill (or perceived skill), sometimes at the expense of size and/or skating. But with the way the league is going, prioritizing skill over everything else doesn't seem like the worse methodology in the world, in my opinion.

My bigger issue with him is when he ranks drafted prospects, he holds on too tightly to where he had guys with his pre-draft rankings.

Maybe.
But just looking at his results, I don't see where he's that great.
In 12, for instance, he has Yak at #1 with no reservations.
He should get some credit for having Forsberg higher than he went. But the Flipside is he went all in on Grigorenko.

But he didn't sniff out Gostisbehere - who should have been a Pronman spacial (not european enough?) yet didn't make the top 125 despite going 78th overall.
Another big steal was Parayako - He went 86th and didn't appear in Pronman's 125.
Same with Jacob Slavin. He went 120th and didn't appear in Pronman's 125.

One of his best rankings was AA - who he had at 68 - he actually went 110. But again - he slept on Josh Anderson, who went 95th.

Looking at 2011
In the top 10 - Promman missed Scheifele, who he had at 29.
He had Landeskog down at 13.
He had Rocco Grimaldi at 10
He had Chicago bust Mark McNeill at 10.

The biggest bust of 2011 might have been Colorado's Duncan Siemens, taken 11th - to Pronman's credit he had him at 65.

The best steals of 2011:
Player - Actual Pick- Pronman ranking
Kurcheov - 58 -- 19
Gaudreau - 104 - Not ranked
Saad - 43 - 22
Shaw - 139 - not ranked
Trocheck -64 - 63
Pageau - 96 - not ranked
V. Rask - 42 -41

Nothing special, really.

The big win was Kucherov - and most of the GMs in hockey were being stupid about Russians at the time.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Eh, I see some good hits and then some misses. That's pretty much any scout or scouting service. If team's draft boards were made public you'd see the same thing. It's a highly subjective business.

Button is a guy who is pretty bold who I find has gone out on a limb in recent years and been right a few times. He had Virtanen way lower than anyone else, he was high on Boeser and Connor... had some pretty good calls IMO.

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
Every "public" scout gets hate for their lists, and even more so if you dare trust your instincts instead of following the common opinion. It's always the same thing when people judge these scouts - point out the few steals they (and 99% of other scouts) missed and if they got one right it was because everyone else was stupid not to recognize that kid.

By the way, how the heck do you rank players if not by personal preference???

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I've liked Pronman's list in the past, but now something is different.

Imo, he has lost some of his connections for better sources since joining the Athletic.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
I came across this Rasmussen update courtesy of Tri-city's head coach, Mike Williamson.

Rasmussen, who had surgery before Christmas, has been skating, but has not been a full participant in practice. He still is about two weeks away from playing, but Williamson said it’s good to have him back with the team.

“He’s your captain, and obviously you would like him in your lineup, but if he’s not in the lineup, to be around and in the dressing room,” Williamson said. “He’s a competitive guy, whether he’s on the ice or in the stands, he’s got his game face on. This has been tough on him. At the same time, it’s great to have him back around. He’s not too far off. We have to get by without some guys for a few more weeks, but we know they will be back and we will have to have a big push the last couple of months of the year.”

The Americans actually have a 6 day break starting on Sunday so If we take the 2 week timeline at face value Rasmussen won't miss more than 4 more games. Either way I'd look for him to be in the lineup February 2nd and 3rd against Cholowoski and the Winterhawks.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden

it's on theathletic.
I wonder if Jeremy Bracco would be top 5 in our prospect ranking. Anyone willing to trade Rasmussen straight up for Kapanen?

ridilon

Sep 14, 2017
Every "public" scout gets hate for their lists, and even more so if you dare trust your instincts instead of following the common opinion. It's always the same thing when people judge these scouts - point out the few steals they (and 99% of other scouts) missed and if they got one right it was because everyone else was stupid not to recognize that kid.

By the way, how the heck do you rank players if not by personal preference???

You could rank by eye color. Maybe the area of the glabella. Or perhaps who started shaving first. Just to name a few.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

it's on theathletic.

It is worth noting that we used to feature heavily in his five to eight years ago, you know the players that should be driving the bus right now but didn't.

I like Pronman, I especially like that he has taken time over the years to answer readers in various forums here and elsewhere.

I think him and Button are interesting to look at, but like most scouts they have huge success and failures on the list.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

0+6 in 5 games. He is heating up after up. Looks like his only goal for Winterhawks has been changed for an assist.

Didn't score in the first game, then on 4-game point streak.

0+0
0+1
0+1
0+2
0+2

Since Christmas, Cholowski has 5+13=18 points in 11 games. That's nothing but great for a Defenceman.

Reactions: Christien

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

I am curious if he has made any changes since his Mikhail Grigorenko love fest to sort of temper this. I haven't noticed him being as boisterous of a struggling prospect since that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad