GDT: Detroit Red Wings at Ottawa Senators - 1PM - TSN5/RDS - Caterday Caterwauling Calamity at the Cattery

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I agree with above assessments. I will say that you can see how one injury to a key player (in this case Zub), especially a defender can affect this team.

I'm wondering how much Zub's absence really impacted the game,

Looking at the numbers for the primary 5v5 pairings, Chabot and Chychrun seemed to control the play when together, they only allowed two shot attempts (one of which ended in the back of net mind you) while together.

Sanderson and Hamonic did fine too, from an underlying numbers perspective, only allowing two shots on goal and no goals at 5v5.

Even Brannstrom and JBD were fine in limited mins,

The PK killed us, Hamonic and Sanderson were on for 2 goals, Zub in the lineup doesn't change that. The one pk goal where Zub would have been on the ice came on Brannstrom's side, and might have been one Korpi would like back.

So the question to me is why did the PK fail us, was it mental mistakes, lack of pre game prep to understand Det's system, or just set making good plays and beating us.

Reactions: Cosmix and NyQuil

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019

Looking at the numbers for the primary 5v5 pairings, Chabot and Chychrun seemed to control the play when together, they only allowed two shot attempts (one of which ended in the back of net mind you) while together.

Sanderson and Hamonic did fine too, from an underlying numbers perspective, only allowing two shots on goal and no goals at 5v5.

The PK killed us, Hamonic and Sanderson were on for 2 goals, Zub in the lineup doesn't change that. The one pk goal where Zub would have been on the ice came on Brannstrom's side, and might have been one Korpi would like back.

So the question to me is why did the PK fail us, was it mental mistakes, lack of pre game prep to understand Det's system, or just set making good plays and beating us.
Ya, my comment about Zub was more general in nature. Our PK wasn't good in the Detroit game. That was an important factor no doubt.

I still feel more comfortable with a solid defensive defender like Zub in our lineup as well, both on the PK and in general. I think we'll need our best possible lineup in there to have the level of success we are hoping for.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Ya, my comment about Zub was more general in nature. Our PK wasn't good in the Detroit game. That was an important factor no doubt.

I still feel more comfortable with a solid defensive defender like Zub in our lineup as well, both on the PK and in general. I think we'll need our best possible lineup in there to have the level of success we are hoping for.
I mean, no doubt we're better with Zub than without. DJ doesn't seem to trust JBD, and Hamonic in the top 4, while not the issue this game, does represent a substantial downgrade.

Reactions: Big Muddy

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
The good:
- 71 emerging as true NHLer
- Korpi robbed Wings 5-6 times..played well imo given many quality slotshots
- 85 scored on PP: while 72 sat on bench

The bad:
- our PP was like fenceposts, no movement..planning to set up Norris 1timer?
- Timmy was lazy. When score was 1-1, left his man alone in slot, Korpi saved shot. Then on 2nd goal, also left his man..who scored. Seems like Tim was playing to impress his Manheim pal
- no in-game adjustments by DJ "Hodor" Smith
11 shots against through 2 periods and you're ragging on "no in-game adjustments" from the coach? Adjust to what? No shots against???

JD1

Sep 12, 2005

One thing that to me has always seem absent here is the recognition that there are 20 guys in the other uniform that are also amongst the best in the world.

Detroit scored some beauty PP goals.

Sometimes you just have to tip your hat and move on to the next one.

Mr Hat

Oct 24, 2017
Kelowna
Ottawa really has rock bottom expectations for goalies saying Korpi wasnt a huge factor in this loss. He was just as bad as our PK and coaching, all three were unacceptable if we plan to sneak in the playoffs.

He made a few good saves in the second, but positioning was overall not good. Two bad goals against. Not the reason we lost, but the score should have much been closer.

Chabot is also trending down since his contract and has been a liability. Hopefully he doesnt turn into Tyler Myers.

Reactions: Gil Gunderson

BoardsofCanada

Aug 26, 2009
G.T.A.
11 shots against through 2 periods and you're ragging on "no in-game adjustments" from the coach? Adjust to what? No shots against???
Basically, if the opponents get any sustained pressure in our zone, it's proof to the DJ haters that there is no system and DJ is a garbage coach. And if the opponents actually score... well then just burn the whole thing to the ground. Fire everyone and start over.

ottawagm

May 6, 2023
I don't think Andlauer will accept having such a poor effort at home. He's already said they need to improve the fan experience and most of that will be the team they are paying to see. Win or lose they need to give 110% to the paying fans.

Brady mentioned that they need to be better for their fans and I'm sure it's coming from the top.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
And way to many penalties - way way way to many and it’s been the Achilles heal of this team for years

Bad reffing but how can you take so many penalties versus a team who’s PP is going at 40%.
Some applied discipline is required, or a revised strategy for defending in the D zone.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Basically, if the opponents get any sustained pressure in our zone, it's proof to the DJ haters that there is no system and DJ is a garbage coach. And if the opponents actually score... well then just burn the whole thing to the ground. Fire everyone and start over.
That is an over-statement as only a very few posters might jump to "no system" and "burn the whole thing down" comments. Being outshot consistently over the past few years has been a basis for criticism of the coaching staff. Giving up high quality shots is another. Well deserved in past years.

Very impressive PP stats.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
That is an over-statement as only a very few posters might jump to "no system" and "burn the whole thing down" comments. Being outshot consistently over the past few years has been a basis for criticism of the coaching staff. Giving up high quality shots is another. Well deserved in past years.

Very impressive PP stats.
So far this yr, it seems to be the Sens that are outshooting their opponents and/or keeping those stats close. Detroit has a very good PP but so do the Sens when it's clicking. Ott also have a pretty good PK again when it is working.

Reactions: Cosmix

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
You can't expect a goalie to be perfect, at some point ottawa needed to put pressure on them by actually scoring a couple, but they couldn't and the goalie has to be near perfect.

I'm disappointed in 5 goals against, but don't come out blazing and not bury the puck a few times, otherwise you just used all your aggression early for nothing as the other team adjusts.

Get in there next game, score goals, take pressure off your D and goalie. This team is built to score, so do it.

Reactions: Cosmix and aragorn

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
You can't expect a goalie to be perfect, at some point ottawa needed to put pressure on them by actually scoring a couple, but they couldn't and the goalie has to be near perfect.

I'm disappointed in 5 goals against, but don't come out blazing and not bury the puck a few times, otherwise you just used all your aggression early for nothing as the other team adjusts.

Get in there next game, score goals, take pressure off your D and goalie. This team is built to score, so do it.
Didn't the high dangerous scoring chances favor the Sens? If so then some of the credit should be given to Husso.

One goalie made the saves when it counted and the other didn't.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
Wings are beating up on the Flames tonight. We all need to relax and accept that we got beat by a red hot team. Not only that, we were the better team on top of it all.

100%

Agreed, we also played pretty well in some aspects. We got screwed by the refs.... and by some sloppy play. Sens need to be stronger mentally.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
Agreed, we also played pretty well in some aspects. We got screwed by the refs.... and by some sloppy play. Sens need to be stronger mentally.
Refs are always inconsistent but leaving the slot wide open on the power play on numerous occasions isn't a recipe for success. Wings took note and adjusted where the Sens didn't.

Reactions: NyQuil

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
I was at the game. I'm still bitter. I'd say the main factor was coaching.
DJ simply doesn't bench anyone if they're not executing or if they're taking shifts off. He doesn't make adjustments. He doesn't do much other than chew gum.

I saw soooooo many fly-bys. Barely anyone was finishing their checks. Guys were lazy on back-checks. Guys were lazy period.
Stutzle is by far one of my favourite players but he looked like an ass on Saturday. Kept whining after every play. Then he tried to stick handle through everyone and surprise, he lost the puck and since nobody on the Sens had a clue what he was doing or where the puck was going, the turnover turned into a rush and a goal against. He should have been benched a few shifts for that alone.

DJ just doesn't seem to clue in. Also, Giroux was lining up and not returning to the bench because he was hungry for a PP goal and wanted to get after it. DJ ignored him and Giroux was left with the scraps of a PP. Giroux is his most consistent and professional player.

When nearly the entire team isn't ready to play, that's on the coach. When nothing is going right and the team doesn't adjust, that's on the coach. Enough with the amateur try out with DJ. I think it's time for Claude Julien or similar.

Reactions: chipsens

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I was at the game. I'm still bitter. I'd say the main factor was coaching.
DJ simply doesn't bench anyone if they're not executing or if they're taking shifts off. He doesn't make adjustments. He doesn't do much other than chew gum.

I saw soooooo many fly-bys. Barely anyone was finishing their checks. Guys were lazy on back-checks. Guys were lazy period.
Stutzle is by far one of my favourite players but he looked like an ass on Saturday. Kept whining after every play. Then he tried to stick handle through everyone and surprise, he lost the puck and since nobody on the Sens had a clue what he was doing or where the puck was going, the turnover turned into a rush and a goal against. He should have been benched a few shifts for that alone.

DJ just doesn't seem to clue in. Also, Giroux was lining up and not returning to the bench because he was hungry for a PP goal and wanted to get after it. DJ ignored him and Giroux was left with the scraps of a PP. Giroux is his most consistent and professional player.

When nearly the entire team isn't ready to play, that's on the coach. When nothing is going right and the team doesn't adjust, that's on the coach. Enough with the amateur try out with DJ. I think it's time for Claude Julien or similar.

Remember this:

“When I took this job, my job was to develop these kids. And with that comes losses. If Timmy makes a mistake, you have to keep playing him. And that’s part of it,” Smith explained. “Now as a coach, I will coach them differently. There is a different mindset when you’re developing and rebuilding. And there is a different mindset when you believe you can win every night. That’s the exciting part for me and our staff. These players. I think they feel they have a chance to win every night now.”

When pressed to expand on how he might change his approach behind the bench, Smith pointed specifically to sloppy mistakes and careless turnovers that need to be eradicated. And he suggested the program has reached the point where he should be able to bench players who are not playing up to the level that is commensurate with a playoff calibre team.

“The biggest thing is details. It has to be tightened up. The accountability towards small details becomes tighter and tighter as you want to get better. As the players get better, the mistakes have to be less and less. They know better. And the accountability has to be higher,” Smith says. “And it’s not just me, they are going hold themselves to a higher standard. They know where they want to go. Just letting guys play throughout it is not something you have with a team that expects to win. If you’re not going, someone else has to take your spot.”

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad