GDT: Detroit Red Wings at Ottawa Senators - 1PM - TSN5/RDS - Caterday Caterwauling Calamity at the Cattery

ottawagm

May 6, 2023
lets see how he does next game

he hasn't really been tested yet against Philly or Wash
Agreed but if he plays well against Buffalo he should get the next one instead of going back and forth at this point.

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
Has Seider had any NHL fights? He's a very good player.
Seider doesn't fight because he really doesn't need to. If he fought tkachuk in this scenario, then he would be off the ice for 5 minutes while he is one of the best PKers we have. So it really doesn't show any benefit to do so. He'll get roughing calls a lot if the refs get trigger happy.

Ras isn't a big pker for us. He saw an opportunity to get tkachuk off the ice for 5 minutes and took it. Don't fully agree with the 2 minute call on him but I guess it could go either way.

The only time Seider has truly "gotten into it" is usually around the net after the whistle and an opponent is too close to our goalie. One time, Crosby took an extra wack (seider's first year) and seider flat out punched crosby in the face and crosby started whining to the ref. If I remember correctly, seider pouted or did something to insinuate the "crybaby" crosby face.

On wednesday, seider got into it with Malkin, same situation as the one I said above. He is just very good at getting under your skin when he really isn't even trying to get under your skin (or the player he is interacting with is trying to get under his, doesn't really work). There's a difference because Tkachuk intentionally seeks out to get under players skins (both tkachuk's) and seider just does it naturally, mainly because he is just a hefty body that can show some type of intimidation.

tldr: not really lol.

Reactions: Loach and K1900L

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Seider doesn't fight because he really doesn't need to. If he fought tkachuk in this scenario, then he would be off the ice for 5 minutes while he is one of the best PKers we have. So it really doesn't show any benefit to do so. He'll get roughing calls a lot if the refs get trigger happy.

Ras isn't a big pker for us. He saw an opportunity to get tkachuk off the ice for 5 minutes and took it. Don't fully agree with the 2 minute call on him but I guess it could go either way.

The only time Seider has truly "gotten into it" is usually around the net after the whistle and an opponent is too close to our goalie. One time, Crosby took an extra wack (seider's first year) and seider flat out punched crosby in the face and crosby started whining to the ref. If I remember correctly, seider pouted or did something to insinuate the "crybaby" crosby face.

On wednesday, seider got into it with Malkin, same situation as the one I said above. He is just very good at getting under your skin when he really isn't even trying to get under your skin (or the player he is interacting with is trying to get under his, doesn't really work). There's a difference because Tkachuk intentionally seeks out to get under players skins (both tkachuk's) and seider just does it naturally, mainly because he is just a hefty body that can show some type of intimidation.

tldr: not really lol.
Seider is a real good young player, no question.

Reactions: Cosmix

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
The league was on to Chabot a while ago. A year or two back, there was an article in The Athletic where a bunch of anonymous execs all agreed that the Sens would love a do-over on his contract, and he's only gotten worse since then.

He'd be really tough to move.
Some decent coaching would help Chabot improve his defensive game.

Answer

Dec 17, 2006
Edmonton
Well, it is pretty safe to say that we are good enough to beat bad or washed up teams. Pretty god annihilated by good or rising teams

Some things just doesn't change for this team
- lack of offensive chances 5on5
- giving up goals right at the start of the period
- overall bad defensive courages

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Well, it is pretty safe to say that we are good enough to beat bad or washed up teams. Pretty god annihilated by good or rising teams

Some things just doesn't change for this team
- lack of offensive chances 5on5
- giving up goals right at the start of the period
- overall bad defensive courages

And way to many penalties - way way way to many and it’s been the Achilles heal of this team for years

Bad reffing but how can you take so many penalties versus a team who’s PP is going at 40%.

Reactions: LiseL

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
We were so in charge of that game and the refs managed to completely throw us off. I don't want to make excuses, of course we have to recover, but I still feel salty and of course have a new loathing for the red wings

Loach

Jun 9, 2021
Didn’t see chych do this? Video? Or maybe an explanation of what happened

Hearing that Baker guy on the postgame show lmao “wings played the game they wanted to play in the first period”. Like you actually think a red wings player hopped onto the ice and was like “remember the game plan.. don’t win the puck back from an opponent and allow them to take shots at your net for the whole shift”
It was after the reverse goal. Stu left his man, Verano? that scored. Chych was pointimg back towards our net and talking at Stu, who threw up his hands. Stu had that look on his face that he gives the refs after he gets a penalty. It was on tv. Noodles explained that Chych was saying "Chabby went around with his man, I went down low with my man, you take the trailer. You where there and left your spot." Something like that. I had a couple beers.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Korpisalo wasn't the problem in this game. Sure his save percentage ultimately sucked but he made some dandy saves. Zub's absence on the PK set the whole thing off in a game with a lot of penalties. We'd have an easier time down an LD.. We've only got 2 RDs and they both kill penalties so that hurt.

At the end of the day, you're just not going to win many games with two goals against a high scoring team which Detroit is right now.

I don't like momentum killers. We had the better off the first and the 2nd Detroit goal to put them up was a killer. Lazy play by Chabot. Sure guys reverse it all the time but there was a guy on Chychrun. It was almost more of a "systems" play to me. Chabot has the puck, he can rim it around or skate around the net. He blindly reversed it and it ended up in our net. Stuetzle needs to do more on that play and Chychrun told him that....but Chabot has to be better there

Loach

Jun 9, 2021
Chabot needs some serious coaching to become better.
First he needed forwards to get the puck to, then a better defence corps, then a better partner, then less ice time. Maybe the coaches aren't the problem. They took him off pp1...

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Korpisalo wasn't the problem in this game. Sure his save percentage ultimately sucked but he made some dandy saves. Zub's absence on the PK set the whole thing off in a game with a lot of penalties. We'd have an easier time down an LD.. We've only got 2 RDs and they both kill penalties so that hurt.

At the end of the day, you're just not going to win many games with two goals against a high scoring team which Detroit is right now.

I don't like momentum killers. We had the better off the first and the 2nd Detroit goal to put them up was a killer. Lazy play by Chabot. Sure guys reverse it all the time but there was a guy on Chychrun. It was almost more of a "systems" play to me. Chabot has the puck, he can rim it around or skate around the net. He blindly reversed it and it ended up in our net. Stuetzle needs to do more on that play and Chychrun told him that....but Chabot has to be better there
I don't have an issue with Chabot reversing there, Chych had room to make the play but the forecheck came in faster than he expected, so he let the puck come to him instead of meeting the puck. Stü took way too long to adjust once the play broke down, he was standing at the blue line to give Chych a reverse option but needed to get back in the play once Chychs reverse failed.

Also, agree about Korpisalo, he wasnt the issue in that game, the PK was terrible, not if it was a lack of Zub or just a lack of preparation, but they were completely unprepared.

chipsens

Post and in...
Jan 9, 2013
The good:
- 71 emerging as true NHLer
- Korpi robbed Wings 5-6 times..played well imo given many quality slotshots
- 85 scored on PP: while 72 sat on bench

The bad:
- our PP was like fenceposts, no movement..planning to set up Norris 1timer?
- Timmy was lazy. When score was 1-1, left his man alone in slot, Korpi saved shot. Then on 2nd goal, also left his man..who scored. Seems like Tim was playing to impress his Manheim pal
- no in-game adjustments by DJ "Hodor" Smith

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I don't have an issue with Chabot reversing there, Chych had room to make the play but the forecheck came in faster than he expected, so he let the puck come to him instead of meeting the puck. Stü took way too long to adjust once the play broke down, he was standing at the blue line to give Chych a reverse option but needed to get back in the play once Chychs reverse failed.

Also, agree about Korpisalo, he wasnt the issue in that game, the PK was terrible, not if it was a lack of Zub or just a lack of preparation, but they were completely unprepared.
The thing about reversing on that play is Chabot didn't need to do that. He's a PMD and the guy chasing him wasn't right on him. He was a couple feet behind Chabot which means he was 7 or 8 feet from the puck. He could have come around the net or rimmed it high on the glass.

He did what he did and the puck ends up in our net.

He's paid to make things happen. In this case, it was the wrong thing.

Reactions: OD99 and chipsens

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
The thing about reversing on that play is Chabot didn't need to do that. He's a PMD and the guy chasing him wasn't right on him. He was a couple feet behind Chabot which means he was 7 or 8 feet from the puck. He could have come around the net or rimmed it high on the glass.

He did what he did and the puck ends up in our net.

He's paid to make things happen. In this case, it was the wrong thing.
This really feels like you're scapegoating Chabot at this point, the reverse isn't what got us in trouble, it's a play that happens a dozens of times a game, Detroit player has the angle on him to the back of the net so he can't really use that to give him cover, so your asking him to rim it around the boards on his backhand from the corner, if Chych gets more on the puck and reverses it to the point +I think it's Tkachuk there but I'm not sure)like the play is designed, it's out, but he doesn't and Stü doesn't come defend the net.

Reactions: Bileur

FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa
We were so in charge of that game and the refs managed to completely throw us off. I don't want to make excuses, of course we have to recover, but I still feel salty and of course have a new loathing for the red wings
There have been too many chintzy calls - both for and against the Sens - in pretty much every game this year. Refs are definitely over managing these games.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
This really feels like you're scapegoating Chabot at this point, the reverse isn't what got us in trouble, it's a play that happens a dozens of times a game, Detroit player has the angle on him to the back of the net so he can't really use that to give him cover, so your asking him to rim it around the boards on his backhand from the corner, if Chych gets more on the puck and reverses it to the point +I think it's Tkachuk there but I'm not sure)like the play is designed, it's out, but he doesn't and Stü doesn't come defend the net.
If you go read my initial post ... I clearly said it's a systems play. Chychrun is his safety valve. But he wasn't in danger. He wasn't in the corner and he had the puck on his forehand. The play happened fast. Stuetzle wasn't underneath his guy. Stuetzle could have hit his guy and that's probably the only thing that nullifies the goal.

You got 2 natural LDs that both end up on the right side of the net.

To me, it's just another ho hum play from Chabot instead of making something happen.

To your point about the Detroit guy beating him to the net. I'm not sure that would have happened, but assuming that's true, the Detroit guy is on his high side, simply spinning and reversing it to himself he's out of trouble which is also a play you see dozens of times by a D man.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
we-suck-again-oh-no.gif

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019

Stü took way too long to adjust once the play broke down, he was standing at the blue line to give Chych a reverse option but needed to get back in the play once Chychs reverse failed.

I agree with above assessments. I will say that you can see how one injury to a key player (in this case Zub), especially a defender can affect this team.

It wasn't just Zub's absence though. Our special teams were not very special whereas the Red Wings were capitalizing on their PPs.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad