GDT: Detroit Red Wings at Ottawa Senators - 1PM - TSN5/RDS - Caterday Caterwauling Calamity at the Cattery

Answer

Dec 17, 2006
Edmonton
And way to many penalties - way way way to many and it’s been the Achilles heal of this team for years

Bad reffing but how can you take so many penalties versus a team who’s PP is going at 40%.

Winning some games here and there is one thing

Being consistent is another. Getting rid of bad habits that bad Teams consistently make is ANOTHER!

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
Remember this:

From that article:
'And he suggested the program has reached the point where he should be able to bench players who are not playing up to the level that is commensurate with a playoff calibre team.'

Saturday's game was terrible. And it was obvious from early on that Korpisalo was fighting it. So many coaching decisions that were poor decisions in that game. I'm done with DJ. These guys are NHLers now. Time to wake up.

Reactions: chipsens

Crosside

Aug 1, 2018
Just watch the game at tv. You guys miss the best part. During the American anthem, someone don’t stop to scream F#%* Y#% DeBrincat very loud. DeBrincat have understand it because was yellow smiling lol

Reactions: BoardsofCanada

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Didn't the high dangerous scoring chances favor the Sens? If so then some of the credit should be given to Husso.

One goalie made the saves when it counted and the other didn't.
They always count though and the Sens gave up some supreme opportunities that Korpisalo stopped. He sucked though, as the game went on, and Husso didn't, so there's that, but the onus is on the team to score as well.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
I would also view this as an extremely interesting early season test. You came out and lost, weakly after the first, in front of a home crowd with the return of a guy who wanted out - and you lost to a team you'll be battling with until the last week for a playoff spot.

It'll be interesting to see if they wet fart next game or are pissed enough to focus, not take penalites and go hard at Buffalo.

They would previously produce a wet fart, let's see how this goes.

ottawagm

May 6, 2023
Who was it on though? Korpisalo? The offense? The pk? Everyone?

Let's clean this up for next game.
Andlauer. He needs to pull the leadership core into a room and get them to tell the team that playing like that at home is not going to be tolerated.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Andlauer. He needs to pull the leadership core into a room and get them to tell the team that playing like that at home is not going to be tolerated.
Lol, they know that, the last thing they need is another meddling owner. You know brady's character. And Giroux. They're not happy.

Which is why I view the next game with extreme interest. Another team, almost exactly like Detroit (but better) that we'll be battling to the end with. Statement or wet fart?

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
We do know that we will lose a few games this season. And they won’t all be great losses right?

We drove a stake in the heart of Detroit last season, some times you get a bit back.

Sheeet…

Sucks but we move on, no need for drama or dwelling.

Reactions: AchtzehnBaby

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
We do know that we will lose a few games this season. And they won’t all be great losses right?

We drove a stake in the heart of Detroit last season, some times you get a bit back.

Sheeet…

Sucks but we move on, no need for drama or dwelling.

Main concern is in our 2 losses this season Korpisalo has let in some soft goals. That happens as well but I’ve seen enough soft goals in those 2 games to start to worry.

Soft goals and a team that takes lots of penalties = people getting fired = team with no consistency = no playoffs = sad fansebase

Stat line:
1-2

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
DJ sucks but that game was not on him.

It has to be.

Our structure is absolutely stupid.

For example, on our PP two we have our best slapshot and wrist shot open in Chychrun.

Yet Chabot NEVER FED HIM.

Look at Stamkos, Kucherov, TT, Drai, Ovechkin etc. They have built successful PPs and systems off guys with lethal weapons.

Chychrun is a lethal weapon that is never utilized. Whose problem is that? It aint Chabot if his directive is literally to feed Chychrun.

Reactions: chipsens

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Who was it on though? Korpisalo? The offense? The pk? Everyone?

Let's clean this up for next game.
The second and third goals were pathetic levels of compete and focus. Coach cant make players want to go get a puck or want to compete for ice. That is simple hockey that they mailed in. Stutzle should have been benched immediately after the second goal in my opinion. His Play and overall attitude since game 1 has been piss poor. That's where DJ has lost this team in my opinion. It's not 'systems or 'adjustments' those are made up fallacies that posters can't even identify. The sens dispite being a far more talented team didn't have remotely close to the same buy in. Every part of the middle of the ice was contested by Detroit in the d zone. They were diving in front of pucks etc. Sens were not.

Two big plays in the first period opened the door and kept Detroit in the game. The first was Kelly missing the open net to go up 2-0. The sens were dominating. The second was the penalty on Grieg. What a joke. However the sens PK really missed Zub. Korpisalo was ok but this team doesn't get any saves out of this guy at big moments.

I assume Forsberg starts Tuesday and if he plays well it should be his net.

Giroux has had a very slow start but I don't think he's nearly as effective if Stutzle isn't hunting for pucks and competing. His speed opens up lanes for Giroux.

Back to DJ, I think he's a good coach. Some of the takes on here using him as a scape goat for every mistake or problem this team has or makes paints a pretty good picture of the hockey intellect and ability to identify or lack there of on what's going on in the game. However i do think the buy in from the team and accountability levels just aren't where they need to be. Which happens, the message even if it's the right one can get stale. Especially for a young group that has had the leeway to make mistakes as they are for the most part young developing players. Which was the correct way to coach them. I do think he will get a job again and he will do a damn good job at it. This experience is incredibly valuable. I really don't think the teams structure is bad. Just a few tweaks But... This team needs someone that demands a complete buy in and holds players accountable. I hoped this wasn't the case but last game just had too many unacceptable plays from a discipline and effort perspective.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
This post I am quoting is exactly what I'm referring to in the post directly above this one.
It has to be.

For example, on our PP two we have our best slapshot and wrist shot open in Chychrun.

Yet Chabot NEVER FED HIM

Look at Stamkos, Kucherov, TT, Drai, Ovechkin etc. They have built successful PPs and systems off guys with lethal weapons.

Chychrun is a lethal weapon that is never utilized. Whose problem is that? It aint Chabot if his directive is literally to feed Chychrun.
This is exhibit A in regards to not understanding the difference in individual players actions and coaching strategies. If you actually think a coach is micro managing to the point of telling players who to pass to in that scenario you're incorrect. A pp is to be fluid with players letting their skill take over while having basic structure with 6 or 7 different looks.

Last edited:

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
DJ sucks but that game was not on him.
there seemed to be a lot of focus on the return of DBC, and some players, including some of the leadership removed their focus from the game plan…. Assuming it was to get two points, and went out of their way to send messages to DBC…. This lead to penalties and three PPGs against them

this was a failure on DJS part, and the leadership…. So blame on everyone for letting a fan driven side show to cloud their judgment

Reactions: Game 7 Meltdown

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
Ras isn't a big pker for us. He saw an opportunity to get tkachuk off the ice for 5 minutes and took it. Don't fully agree with the 2 minute call on him but I guess it could go either way.
Rasmussen.png

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
It has to be.

Yet Chabot NEVER FED HIM.

Detroit was not giving chychrun much room, Chabot is not that good of a pp QB, and that second pp is kind of lame. 3 factors that go into chychrun on getting the puck

Reactions: DrEasy

Mingus Dew

Microphone Assassin
Oct 7, 2013
Wings are beating up on the Flames tonight. We all need to relax and accept that we got beat by a red hot team. Not only that, we were the better team on top of it all.

100%

DBC with a hatty too.

Detroit looks like a good team to me. We outshot them and controlled play a lot but they were patient, got good goaltending and won the special teams battle by a country mile.

Everyone told me they had no top end talent but that doesn’t seem to be the case. Detroit is going to cause problems in the Atlantic this year.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
DBC with a hatty too.

Detroit looks like a good team to me. We outshot them and controlled play a lot but they were patient, got good goaltending and won the special teams battle by a country mile.

Everyone told me they had no top end talent but that doesn’t seem to be the case. Detroit is going to cause problems in the Atlantic this year.
People in here were writing off Buffalo last year as well. Teams aren't static from one year to the next. There's bound to be a rival that takes steps & improves.

Mingus Dew

Microphone Assassin
Oct 7, 2013
People in here were writing off Buffalo last year as well. Teams aren't static from one year to the next. There's bound to be a rival that takes steps & improves.

It is uncomfortable because both Detroit and Buffalo have excellent prospect pools and look poised to continue getting better.

We are basically at our peak from a pipeline perspective. No major reinforcements on the way. If this team gets better it will be because the core players already in the lineup get better (which they definitely will). But yeah, I don’t like our positioning relative to those other two teams. Stings worse if they’re already as good as or ahead of us.

Reactions: LiseL and Agent Zub

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
It is uncomfortable because both Detroit and Buffalo have excellent prospect pools and look poised to continue getting better.

We are basically at our peak from a pipeline perspective. No major reinforcements on the way. If this team gets better it will be because the core players already in the lineup get better (which they definitely will). But yeah, I don’t like our positioning relative to those other two teams. Stings worse if they’re already as good as or ahead of us.
In general, I think fans tend to get focused on their own team versus what's happening around them. It's a big year for the Senators in terms of showing what they have. The rebuild has been going on for several years, so it's time now to see what results they can produce.

Reactions: Mingus Dew

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
Main concern is in our 2 losses this season Korpisalo has let in some soft goals. That happens as well but I’ve seen enough soft goals in those 2 games to start to worry.

Soft goals and a team that takes lots of penalties = people getting fired = team with no consistency = no playoffs = sad fansebase

Stat line:
1-2

which ones were soft?

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
DBC with a hatty too.

No they're not, they're going to wither away because it's, fundamentally, a mediocre team.

• Haha
Reactions: Do Make Say Think

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad