GDT: Detroit Red Wings at Ottawa Senators - 1PM - TSN5/RDS - Caterday Caterwauling Calamity at the Cattery

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
which ones were soft?

1. Detroit's 3rd goal on the PP scored by Perron.

Korpisalo was very small in net there and he allowed the short side goal because he wasn't hugging the post. Korpisalo seemingly realizes he's out of position when he lunges left (too late) to cover the post.

2. Detroit's 5th goal on the PP scored by Veleno.

The puck is passed across in a two on one situation, but Veleno has to catch up to the puck and it's not exactly a laser beam of a pass. By the time he gets the shot off, he's pretty deep into the zone at a tougher angle but Korpisalo is slow to track across the net and is beaten short side again.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mr Hat and gab6511

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
A few. And then he is expected to stop some of the difficult ones as well. What are we paying for?

The Perron goal was soft, although it was a very nicely placed shot, but he stopped at least 3-4 difficult ones on the PP. Point blank saves on guys left wide open. Kind of hard to fault the goalie when you're allowing point blank shots on the PK and your goalie is stopping most of them.

Stay disciplined and that game is way tighter, maybe even a Sens W.

Reactions: LiseL and chipsens

chipsens

Post and in...
Jan 9, 2013
I blame both players (lack of focus, effort) & coaches for giving Detroit too many open-slot freebies...

DJ fails to discipline players like Stu who do fly-by & fail defensive assignments repeatedly..

DJ fails to coach PP...so they stay in motion, and don't stand like fenceposts in 1 spot

Reactions: Emrasie

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Well, guess he is.

I guess it is a good thing that seider is better at it than him. And that we have plenty of others to take over for him.

Side note: AMAZING! Ghost your talking to me?!?! Fully honored now. Absolutely fantastic.

Do we need to be here for this conversation? ;)

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
Never know. Could always use a mediator.

Anywho, I was more thinking of last year when Seider had considerably more PK time than Rasmussen. This year, Ras is obviously up there. Had last year in mind.

Regardless, I'll see myself out now. See you guys in Sweden!

1698075758211.png

Reactions: NyQuil

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
- Ott has one of the best PPs in the NHL
- Ott has one of the best PKs in the NHL
- they have 3 good lines & are starting to score 5 on 5
- they finally have a decent tandem in nets
- they have one of the best top 4 D in the NHL & their defence is starting to contribute offensively
- they have some of the best young talent in the NHL who are just getting started & more on the way
- there are all kinds of positves surrounding this young team

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023

I'd actually prefer the mediator considering the last time he tried lying about how I frequently like his posts and agree with his positions.

So yeah, I was happy to point out that he's full of shit claiming that Ras isn't one of our big PK guys lol.

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
Agreed, we also played pretty well in some aspects. We got screwed by the refs.... and by some sloppy play. Sens need to be stronger mentally.
I’d love to know how you got “screwed by the refs” considering every single time there was a scrum at the net it was the sens going to the PP not Detroit. The hit on Debrincat was one I thought shouldn’t have been called, but the chiarot penalty was an absolutely horrible call by the refs, he did literally nothing

StoicSensFan

ᕕ(ᐛ)ᕗ
Feb 6, 2014
Cantley
I’d love to know how you got “screwed by the refs” considering every single time there was a scrum at the net it was the sens going to the PP not Detroit. The hit on Debrincat was one I thought shouldn’t have been called, but the chiarot penalty was an absolutely horrible call by the refs, he did literally nothing
Check the Flames' board next to ensure your insecurities remain intact.

• Haha
Reactions: AchtzehnBaby

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
I was at the game. I'm still bitter. I'd say the main factor was coaching.
DJ simply doesn't bench anyone if they're not executing or if they're taking shifts off. He doesn't make adjustments. He doesn't do much other than chew gum.

I saw soooooo many fly-bys. Barely anyone was finishing their checks. Guys were lazy on back-checks. Guys were lazy period.
Stutzle is by far one of my favourite players but he looked like an ass on Saturday. Kept whining after every play. Then he tried to stick handle through everyone and surprise, he lost the puck and since nobody on the Sens had a clue what he was doing or where the puck was going, the turnover turned into a rush and a goal against. He should have been benched a few shifts for that alone.

DJ just doesn't seem to clue in. Also, Giroux was lining up and not returning to the bench because he was hungry for a PP goal and wanted to get after it. DJ ignored him and Giroux was left with the scraps of a PP. Giroux is his most consistent and professional player.

When nearly the entire team isn't ready to play, that's on the coach. When nothing is going right and the team doesn't adjust, that's on the coach. Enough with the amateur try out with DJ. I think it's time for Claude Julien or similar.
I guess you missed late in the game that he took Stutzle off the 1st line.

People can splice this game all they want, but the crying around here is a little overboard 5 games in.

They outplayed them. That is a fact in the shots, scoring chances, possession, hits, faceoffs...and you can keep going on and on.

Sometimes you just lose. They made awful mistakes on the PK. People forget that right afetr the Sens scored, the 4th line nearly scored as Kelly missed an open net. He scores that and it is game over.

That is such bullshit, that the team wasn't ready to play. De mad at the results, but they outshot them 14-3 in the 1st. That looks "ready to play" to me.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
The Perron goal was soft, although it was a very nicely placed shot, but he stopped at least 3-4 difficult ones on the PP. Point blank saves on guys left wide open. Kind of hard to fault the goalie when you're allowing point blank shots on the PK and your goalie is stopping most of them.

Stay disciplined and that game is way tighter, maybe even a Sens W.
He let in 4 on like 14 man. He wasn’t solid. Husso was solid. There’s a difference

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Not many shot count, this is the quality of shot. all shot in the top corner . Same for the game against Carolina
Goalies can stop shots going into the top corner. It happens fairly often

The goood goalies stop the difficult shots more often than the bad goalies

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa

People can splice this game all they want, but the crying around here is a little overboard 5 games in.

They outplayed them. That is a fact in the shots, scoring chances, possession, hits, faceoffs...and you can keep going on and on.

Sometimes you just lose. They made awful mistakes on the PK. People forget that right afetr the Sens scored, the 4th line nearly scored as Kelly missed an open net. He scores that and it is game over.

That is such bullshit, that the team wasn't ready to play. De mad at the results, but they outshot them 14-3 in the 1st. That looks "ready to play" to me.
You pay money for the ticket, you get to cheer or boo. We don't need your permission. Not sure why you take it so personally and attack folks with a different opinion? I saw a LOT of all the same crap that has been happening over the past few years and I feel like DJ is a big part of that. You feel differently.
I never mind when the team loses if the effort is there. But I saw a lack of focus, lack of effort and attention to detail.
On the bright side, Greig looks fantastic.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon

Ya I thought they actually came out guns blazing and had the chance to go up more. The whole game changed on that absurd penalty on Greig for the clean hit on Cat and they looked like the lesser team all of a sudden. Hopefully the team responds better next time as that kind of shit is gonna happen.

Random Comment

Mar 5, 2018
- Ott has one of the best PPs in the NHL
- Ott has one of the best PKs in the NHL
- they have 3 good lines & are starting to score 5 on 5
- they finally have a decent tandem in nets
- they have one of the best top 4 D in the NHL & their defence is starting to contribute offensively
- they have some of the best young talent in the NHL who are just getting started & more on the way
- there are all kinds of positves surrounding this young team
« Finally having a decent tandem in net » is still theoretical at this point

Reactions: slamigo and DrEasy

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I've said it a few times, but imo Detroit is much better than they're given credit for.

Their FA moves this summer were panned, but all they did was bring in a whole bunch of NHL caliber players on short term deals. They really solidified their team 1 through 20 and it shows. Maybe not as much high end talent, but they don't have a bunch of passengers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad