Proposal: Detroit - Edmonton

Dan Kelly

Sep 27, 2017
RNH doesn't seem to have a good playoff record as well. Detroit rather get a good puck-moving defenseman than he.

well he does only have ONE playoff to judge by. i'd like to see if he can do better in the playoffs....IF the Oilers can ever make it back?

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
What you said makes no sense! It's never bad to have defensive depth. And you're not going to win anything with Larkin and an ancient Zetterberg as your top 2 centers. o_O

We're not going to win anything with Larkin and RNH as our top 2 centers either.

At the moment, I see Larkin and RNH on par with each other. Larkin is obviously getting more ice time, as RNH is playing behind McDavid and Drai, (Correct me if I'm wrong) but that also means RNH is likely stacking up against easier matchups. Even if you give RNH a slight edge, Larkin's still younger and earlier in his development.

All in all, I think Larkin's development range is, at his floor being an adequate #2C to an absolute ceiling of being a legit #1C, with the likely scenario being that he ends up as a guy who can play as the #1 guy, but is really better suited as your elite #2 option. If he can be defensively great and put up a PPG pace like Bergeron, then he's absolutely a #1C, but I think he's gonna be more of a 55-70 point guy who's good defensively, much like ROR.

So likely the only way Detroit is getting that true #1C is in the draft. (And it wont be this draft) And then you have to consider that Rasmussen's target development is also to be a #2C. If we were signing RNH it would be one thing, but trading away assets for something you already have just doesn't make sense.

Dan Kelly

Sep 27, 2017
Although Larkin's points are still up, his goal totals are alarmingly low the last couple of years and just 9 in 72 games this year ! And although some of Nuge's years have been a bit down compared to others, he has been a consistent point producer. Do I think we'll get Mantha for him? No but if you have a chance to get him you should.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
It's obviously just one example, but this video below is from Mantha's (#8) time in the AHL skating with Athanasiou, who most people are aware of his speed for reference. He might appear slow, in general, because his legs don't move as fast as some strong skaters, but he has a long stride that is deceiving.

I remember thinking he looked painfully slow in junior, but his production speaks for itself.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
We're not going to win anything with Larkin and RNH as our top 2 centers either.

At the moment, I see Larkin and RNH on par with each other. Larkin is obviously getting more ice time, as RNH is playing behind McDavid and Drai, (Correct me if I'm wrong) but that also means RNH is likely stacking up against easier matchups. Even if you give RNH a slight edge, Larkin's still younger and earlier in his development.

All in all, I think Larkin's development range is, at his floor being an adequate #2C to an absolute ceiling of being a legit #1C, with the likely scenario being that he ends up as a guy who can play as the #1 guy, but is really better suited as your elite #2 option. If he can be defensively great and put up a PPG pace like Bergeron, then he's absolutely a #1C, but I think he's gonna be more of a 55-70 point guy who's good defensively, much like ROR.

So likely the only way Detroit is getting that true #1C is in the draft. (And it wont be this draft) And then you have to consider that Rasmussen's target development is also to be a #2C. If we were signing RNH it would be one thing, but trading away assets for something you already have just doesn't make sense.

RNH is used exclusively against the opponents top line, and has been for a couple years. Last year MCLellan matched him against Getzlaf in the playoffs (and he did well at ES except one game).

McDavid tends to see a lot of top pairing D, but few top line C... he plays mostly against the elite checkers (like Kessler).

He missed a few games due to injury, but Nuge is pretty much back to his normal 55-60 point pace, mostly at ES in a checking role... so he is pretty much rounding out as a solid two-way C... though he comes at it by speed and agility rather than grit and muscle.

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
Although Larkin's points are still up, his goal totals are alarmingly low the last couple of years and just 9 in 72 games this year ! And although some of Nuge's years have been a bit down compared to others, he has been a consistent point producer. Do I think we'll get Mantha for him? No but if you have a chance to get him you should.

No, I still don't think so. Mantha's a better player than is Nugent-Hopkins.

yababy

Jun 26, 2015
So likely the only way Detroit is getting that true #1C is in the draft.

That's the only way you get a 1C, same with a 1D. Draft.
That why every proposal for a guy like Draisaitl without using a 1D are silly, and why a guy like RNH could be available...because he isn't a 1C

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
That's the only way you get a 1C, same with a 1D. Draft.
That why every proposal for a guy like Draisaitl without using a 1D are silly, and why a guy like RNH could be available...because he isn't a 1C

He's playing behind Draisaitl and McDavid. That is why he is available. Possibly.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
I remember thinking he looked painfully slow in junior, but his production speaks for itself.

I don't think Mantha will ever pass the eye test for a lot of people. His skating doesn't look great, but he's got a long and efficient stride. He has a huge frame, but is not going to be a physically dominant power forward that initiates and willingly seeks out contact. Maybe that is his biggest detriment and why he won't be an elite level player if he can't find that compete level and the balance of aggression and physicality to pair with his skill. Everything about his build and skill set kind of reminds me of Blake Wheeler, but maybe with more of a goal scoring touch. Hopefully he can kind of shake some of the negative aspects of his game and follow that same progression arc.

Reactions: Dan Kelly

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
well he does only have ONE playoff to judge by. i'd like to see if he can do better in the playoffs....IF the Oilers can ever make it back?
Lots of players have had a bad playoff and been good consistently in future playoffs. He wasn't even bad. He was playing shut down and did a great job of that against the Sharks, and an adequate job against Getzlaf for all but I think one game where Getzlaf went beast mode.

Reactions: TrentonF

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad