curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
To Oilers:

Anthony Mantha

To Detroit:

8th overall pick (post-lottery)

Preface: Looking to settle a debate at work, so if I'm way off and it's not close, please feel free to move or whatever. I think the trade is pretty even; Mantha would be a wicked fit next to McDavid, frees up Pulj to play with Draisaitl, and the Oilers need to compete now. Co-worker thinks the Oilers would need something else going back to them but I strongly disagree.

For the Red Wings, they get another top-10 pick and have had some rumoured friction with Mantha. Could probably snag whoever falls from the Hughes/Bouchard/Smith tier or Wahlstrom/Tkachuk. Could also use it to package something else and move up for Svechnikov if they don't win a lottery spot.

Thoughts?

Dan Kelly

Sep 27, 2017
Good proposal ! Mantha is a potential yearly 30 + goal scorer and there is indeed some great talent in the top 10 and this would give the Wings likely 2 picks there. Makes total sense, that's why Chia won't do it !!! :rolleyes:

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
I have to admit I haven't watched Detroit much this season. Can Mantha skate really well/fast? If not, then no thanks. We need speed on our wings. We're going to have some amazing prospects to choose from with our pick, including some Dmen I think are almost 'can't miss' type prospects. So that aspect is subjective to myself, as I value the pick a LOT; probably more than most.

But if he can skate like the wind, I'd consider some deal around our 1st this draft (other pieces probably needed, of course).

Last edited:

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
I have to admit I haven't watched Detroit much this season. Can Mantha skate really well/fast? If not, then no thanks. We need speed on our wings. We're going to have some amazing prospects to choose from with our pick, including some Dmen I think are almost 'can't miss' type prospects. So that aspect is subjective to myself, as I value the pick a LOT; probably more than most.

But if he can skate like the wind, I'd consider it.

He is a fantastic skater. Detroit doesn't do this trade

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
He is a fantastic skater. Detroit doesn't do this trade

I see. He'd probably fit well with McD then, if that's the case. I thought I remember him being labelled as slow, but wasn't sure, thus the reason I asked about it instead of just saying 'he's too slow, not interested' like many would do. But thanks for clearing that up.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
I see. He'd probably fit well with McD then, if that's the case. I thought I remember him being labelled as slow, but wasn't sure, thus the reason I asked about it instead of just saying 'he's too slow, not interested' like many would do. But thanks for clearing that up.

It's obviously just one example, but this video below is from Mantha's (#8) time in the AHL skating with Athanasiou, who most people are aware of his speed for reference. He might appear slow, in general, because his legs don't move as fast as some strong skaters, but he has a long stride that is deceiving.

Reactions: KarmaPolice

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Depends on what Mantha is commanding. Pass if its something around 6x6.
Oilers cant afford another big ticket winger without shedding salary elsewhere.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
This draft of full of solid defenders. Fair offer - but I suspect the Oilers for draft a D at #8. Their last two first round D - Nurse and Klefbom worked out well.

PinkFly

Oct 30, 2017
Lol no team is gifting Edmonton a speedy, young top 6 winger. You hope a player drafted 8th overall turns into Mantha.

yababy

Jun 26, 2015
To Oilers:

Anthony Mantha

To Detroit:

Preface: Looking to settle a debate at work, so if I'm way off and it's not close, please feel free to move or whatever. I think the trade is pretty even; Mantha would be a wicked fit next to McDavid, frees up Pulj to play with Draisaitl, and the Oilers need to compete now. Co-worker thinks the Oilers would need something else going back to them but I strongly disagree.

For the Red Wings, they get another top-10 pick and have had some rumoured friction with Mantha. Could probably snag whoever falls from the Hughes/Bouchard/Smith tier or Wahlstrom/Tkachuk. Could also use it to package something else and move up for Svechnikov if they don't win a lottery spot.

Thoughts?

Pretty close. But I need Mantha signed first...his ask might be too high.

PinkFly

Oct 30, 2017
This draft of full of solid defenders. Fair offer - but I suspect the Oilers for draft a D at #8. Their last two first round D - Nurse and Klefbom worked out well.

Klefbom worked out well? Lol.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Lol and no one is giving up a top 10 pick for an unproven winger 5yrs removed from his draft. Thats like lol... lol!

We're calling someone that would be 2nd in goals behind McDavid and 3rd in points behind McDavid and Draisaitl on the Oilers unproven...all while being 23 years old playing in his sophomore season with one of the worst teams in the league. The kind of asset that these boards have had to listen to your fan base complain about not being able to obtain to line up on the wing of your superstar. Not saying that he is a top tier sniper at this point, but realistically I'd peg Mantha to be around 30-35 goals playing with McDavid right now. He's worth more than you want to pay, and that's fine, go find someone else.

Reactions: SirloinUB

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
We're I EDM I would def not do it. Bouchard is prob gonna be available at that range and hes looking amazing.

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
To Oilers:

Anthony Mantha

To Detroit:

Thoughts?

I would make this deal on one condition only. If Detroit were to get the 2nd, 3rd or 4th pick with their first round pick and draft one of Svech, Zadina or Tkachuk. Then I would make this deal for the 8th and draft a defensmen with Edmonton's pick.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
Would rather have Mantha

Pretty sure the Oilers will be picking higher than 8th so...

Good deal for the Wings though. Turn a 20th overall in to a top 5 pick. Good asset management.

One question. He is really big but only takes a few minor penalties once in a while. Does he play soft?

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Pretty sure the Oilers will be picking higher than 8th so...

Good deal for the Wings though. Turn a 20th overall in to a top 5 pick. Good asset management.

One question. He is really big but only takes a few minor penalties once in a while. Does he play soft?
Depends on how you define "play soft". He uses his big frame for puck possession with his size and reach but hes not going to be throwing his body around making checks or anything like that.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
It's obviously just one example, but this video below is from Mantha's (#8) time in the AHL skating with Athanasiou, who most people are aware of his speed for reference. He might appear slow, in general, because his legs don't move as fast as some strong skaters, but he has a long stride that is deceiving.

Nice wheels indeed. Thanks for that. I'd be interested for sure if Detroit is looking to move him, which I really doubt though. Should keep him for your rebuild. Unless you have an excess of wingers or something, then maybe something can be worked out.

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
I'm torn, so I would say it's fair.

Mantha would be fantastic with McDavid, but 2 top 15 picks sounds nice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad