Proposal: Detroit - Edmonton

Ctrain2k

Dec 3, 2016
Maybe if it was a really bad draft class, but this class is stacked 8th has top 5 value for most draft classes

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Nice wheels indeed. Thanks for that. I'd be interested for sure if Detroit is looking to move him, which I really doubt though. Should keep him for your rebuild. Unless you have an excess of wingers or something, then maybe something can be worked out.

Detroit does have an excess of wingers. That's all they an excess of, unless your counting bad contracts.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
Yep Centers and D help is definitely our weakest positions.

The two guys that interest me the most, realistically speaking, are Mantha (if he is available) and Green (if he agrees to an extension after the trade).

I wonder if:
Nuge + Klefbom + conditional 3rd in 2019 (if Green extends)
for
Mantha and Green (extended after trade, so handshake deal with Chia before actual deal)
Would be of interest?

Probably not, but just throwing it out there. I just think Drai would be REALLY hard to pry from Chia, unless he loses his mind again, but he and Nicholson have said he's untouchable, along with McDavid and Nurse. Take that for whatever it's worth, I guess. A healthy Klefbom is a VERY good Dman. He had a great start, aggravated his shoulder then sucked for the middle, and now is back closer to normal Klefbom lately after a steroid (or whatever it was) shot in his shoulder, and will get his shoulder 'cleaned up' this week so should be good to go 100% next season...one would hope. Signed to a good contract. He's probably my favorite Oiler, so would suck to see him go, but just thinking of possibilities. Nuge is a very good, complete 2nd line C, and also signed for a decent contract for another few years. Detroit drafts well, and they just may be able to strike gold with a 3rd rounder.

Last edited:

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
To Oilers:

Anthony Mantha

To Detroit:

8th overall pick (post-lottery)

Preface: Looking to settle a debate at work, so if I'm way off and it's not close, please feel free to move or whatever. I think the trade is pretty even; Mantha would be a wicked fit next to McDavid, frees up Pulj to play with Draisaitl, and the Oilers need to compete now. Co-worker thinks the Oilers would need something else going back to them but I strongly disagree.

For the Red Wings, they get another top-10 pick and have had some rumoured friction with Mantha. Could probably snag whoever falls from the Hughes/Bouchard/Smith tier or Wahlstrom/Tkachuk. Could also use it to package something else and move up for Svechnikov if they don't win a lottery spot.

Thoughts?

You have Jesse Puljujarvi. Why do you want Mantha?

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
You have Jesse Puljujarvi. Why do you want Mantha?

Our coach thinks Jesse is a grinder. Can we trade coaches, maybe? I'll add our next 5 first round picks along with McLellan and all his assistants. Please???

Seriously though, we could use a big, fast guy like Mantha who has a scoring touch. He's like a Lucic that isn't slow, washed up, and can't handle the puck.

ConnorMcNugesaitl

Sep 23, 2012
The two guys that interest me the most, realistically speaking, are Mantha (if he is available) and Green (if he agrees to an extension after the trade).

I wonder if:
Nuge + Klefbom + conditional 1st in 2019 (if Green extends)
for
Mantha and Green (extended after trade, so handshake deal with Chia before actual deal)
Would be of interest?

Probably not, but just throwing it out there. I just think Drai would be REALLY hard to pry from Chia, unless he loses his mind again, but he and Nicholson have said he's untouchable, along with McDavid and Nurse. Take that for whatever it's worth, I guess. A healthy Klefbom is a VERY good Dman. He had a great start, aggravated his shoulder then sucked for the middle, and now is back closer to normal Klefbom lately after a steroid (or whatever it was) shot in his shoulder, and will get his shoulder 'cleaned up' this week so should be good to go 100% next season...one would hope. Signed to a good contract. He's probably my favorite Oiler, so would suck to see him go, but just thinking of possibilities. Nuge is a very good, complete 2nd line C, and also signed for a decent contract for another few years. The 1st in 2019 could be anywhere in that draft: this IS the Oilers after all. Could finish top 5-10 or bottom 5-10 in the league; you never know with this team. Again, just throwing it out there. If it's awful, I apologize in advance.

Not sure if Wings fan or you just hate the Oilers.

Why wouldn't the Oilers just sign Green as a free agent? If he was worth a 1st why didn't Holland get that for him at the deadline?

So Klefbom, Nuge and a 1st round pick for Mantha.

Why would the Oilers ever consider such a trade?

You would have to think Mantha is definitely going to be a top ten player in the league to say no to that from Detroit's side.

Reactions: ivanlwan

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida

I wonder if:
Nuge + Klefbom + conditional 1st in 2019 (if Green extends)
for
Would be of interest?

Probably not, but just throwing it out there. I just think Drai would be REALLY hard to pry from Chia, unless he loses his mind again, but he and Nicholson have said he's untouchable, along with McDavid and Nurse. Take that for whatever it's worth, I guess. A healthy Klefbom is a VERY good Dman. He had a great start, aggravated his shoulder then sucked for the middle, and now is back closer to normal Klefbom lately after a steroid (or whatever it was) shot in his shoulder, and will get his shoulder 'cleaned up' this week so should be good to go 100% next season...one would hope. Signed to a good contract. He's probably my favorite Oiler, so would suck to see him go, but just thinking of possibilities. Nuge is a very good, complete 2nd line C, and also signed for a decent contract for another few years. The 1st in 2019 could be anywhere in that draft: this IS the Oilers after all. Could finish top 5-10 or bottom 5-10 in the league; you never know with this team. Again, just throwing it out there. If it's awful, I apologize in advance.
Unless by a miracle Detroit drafts either Andrei Svechnikov or Fillip Zadina with either the #2 or #3 overall pick, I seriously doubt they move Mantha. And reportedly Green would only waive for either Tampa or Washington so i doubt he would've any interest in signing with Edmonton. Pretty sure he likes playing in the east and with just buying a house in the DC area i seriously doubt he has any interest in playing that far west in Edmonton. I still have a feeling that Holland is planning on resigning Green once the season is finished in early April or at least he's made it known that he would like to. Really high on Mantha he's yet to reach his full potential this is pretty much his sophomore season. Like i pretty much said i'd be for moving Mantha only if we're able to get either the #2 or #3 overall pick and get either Svechnikov or Zadina other then that we pretty much need Mantha.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
Not sure if Wings fan or you just hate the Oilers.

Why wouldn't the Oilers just sign Green as a free agent? If he was worth a 1st why didn't Holland get that for him at the deadline?

So Klefbom, Nuge and a 1st round pick for Mantha.

Why would the Oilers ever consider such a trade?

You would have to think Mantha is definitely going to be a top ten player in the league to say no to that from Detroit's side.

Well it's to ensure we get Green. After all, he could sign anywhere as a UFA, and I'm not sure we'd be the first destination, even if we offer the most. But yeah, I didn't think it through very well. A first is too much. Maybe change the 1st to a conditional 3rd this or next season then.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
Unless by a miracle Detroit drafts either Andrei Svechnikov or Fillip Zadina with either the #2 or #3 overall pick, I seriously doubt they move Mantha. And reportedly Green would only waive for either Tampa or Washington so i doubt he would've any interest in signing with Edmonton. Pretty sure he likes playing in the east and with just buying a house in the DC area i seriously doubt he has any interest in playing that far west in Edmonton. I still have a feeling that Holland is planning on resigning Green once the season is finished in early April or at least he's made it known that he would like to. Really high on Mantha he's yet to reach his full potential this is pretty much his sophomore season. Like i pretty much said i'd be for moving Mantha only if we're able to get either the #2 or #3 overall pick and get either Svechnikov or Zadina other then that we pretty much need Mantha.

Yeah, I have my doubts Green would want to come here too, thus why I'd want to have an extension agreement in place for any deal, but doubt he would do it. Sucks cause I think he'd be a great fit on our team with Larsson and Green as our RHD in our top-4: a strong defensive Dman and offensive Dman who can QB a PP.

Nurse - Green
Sekera - Larsson
Russell - Bear

That would be pretty good, IMO. Especially with a healthy and fit Sekera, who was our best Dman last season; we missed him so much this year. I really believe in Bear, and think he could take the place in the top-4 in the next few years, so as Green gets older he can slot down as needed. I think we draft a Dman this year and I like all of the top 5 rated Dmen a LOT, so we could strike gold there, as well.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
I wonder if:
for
Would be of interest?

You're basically paying Nuge + Klefbom for Mantha as Green is a pending UFA.

Overpayment by Edmonton but I honestly wouldn't do it from Detroit's perspective either. RNH is no more a top line center than Larkin, so doesn't really do much for us.

Feb 24, 2017
To Oilers:

Anthony Mantha

To Detroit:

8th overall pick (post-lottery)

Preface: Looking to settle a debate at work, so if I'm way off and it's not close, please feel free to move or whatever. I think the trade is pretty even; Mantha would be a wicked fit next to McDavid, frees up Pulj to play with Draisaitl, and the Oilers need to compete now. Co-worker thinks the Oilers would need something else going back to them but I strongly disagree.

For the Red Wings, they get another top-10 pick and have had some rumoured friction with Mantha. Could probably snag whoever falls from the Hughes/Bouchard/Smith tier or Wahlstrom/Tkachuk. Could also use it to package something else and move up for Svechnikov if they don't win a lottery spot.

Thoughts?
Where do you work? HFBoards head office? Who talks prospect vs draft pick at work enough to need a debate settled? Lol

Ingvar

Jan 16, 2016
Moscow
Doesn't make sense. You generally get the player on the level of Mantha at 8th pick. We would draft D at this point - and dmen are more likely to bust than forwards. A defenseman on the level of Mantha doesn't really move our franchise anywhere. Why trade a good player for an unfavorable dice roll?

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
Where do you work? HFBoards head office? Who talks prospect vs draft pick at work enough to need a debate settled? Lol

:laugh:

Guy is a Wings fan living in Edmonton. Not that you care enough for the response lol, but I asked him what he thought about this article, and the conversation started from there. Old school guy who doesn't like Mantha ("he's a floater"), thought Kris Russell and/or RNH for Mantha would be a good swap (lol)...I said how about 8th overall...he thought that was too much for Edmonton to give up. Hence the thread.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton

I wonder if:
for
Would be of interest?

Probably not, but just throwing it out there. I just think Drai would be REALLY hard to pry from Chia, unless he loses his mind again, but he and Nicholson have said he's untouchable, along with McDavid and Nurse. Take that for whatever it's worth, I guess. A healthy Klefbom is a VERY good Dman. He had a great start, aggravated his shoulder then sucked for the middle, and now is back closer to normal Klefbom lately after a steroid (or whatever it was) shot in his shoulder, and will get his shoulder 'cleaned up' this week so should be good to go 100% next season...one would hope. Signed to a good contract. He's probably my favorite Oiler, so would suck to see him go, but just thinking of possibilities. Nuge is a very good, complete 2nd line C, and also signed for a decent contract for another few years. Detroit drafts well, and they just may be able to strike gold with a 3rd rounder.

WAY too much from Edmonton. A previous poster made the point that if Edmonton wants Green they can sign him as a UFA. If he won't sign here then you're trading for someone who won't stay... so no extension is likely.

You must love Mantha. Massive overpayment from Edmonton.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad