Proposal: Detroit - Edmonton

Dan Kelly

Sep 27, 2017
Mantha is a year younger than Nuge, why is he going to develop further and Nuge is not? Seems silly to me. Mantha was/ is also known as a goal scorer, Nuge, not so much. So I would hope the goal scorer would have more goals.

Because after sometimes constructive conversation initially in these threads , the conversation inevitably ends up being "my guy is better than your guy". o_O

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
Fair trade, Chia won't do it after Reinhart though. Makes a lot of sense for both teams too.

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
Not a bad offer but wings would need more to entice them. They're pretty happy with Mantha's development, he's been as advertised for the most part but like most young players could improve consistency. As has been said, best wings could reasonably hope for with 8th overall is to replace Mantha.

Dan Kelly

Sep 27, 2017
Fair trade, Chia won't do it after Reinhart though. Makes a lot of sense for both teams too.

Chia has taken a lot of heat for his bad trades so if Nuge or Klefbom do indeed go this summer, he's going to be under intense scrutiny to get it right this time or face dismissal !

One of the proposals making the rounds is a deal involving OEL, with the Oilers top 8 or so pick plus Klefbom and a top prospect going the other way . Doesn't mean the Oilers will get him but they'll likely try at least. Another potential trade is a deal involving Nuge and Mike Hoffman from the Sens. These are good trades and I hope that the Oilers now get this if they try to swing them in the off season. o_O

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
Wait. This is the friction you're talking about in the OP? I thought you were talking about Jimmy D calling Mantha disapponting after his first season in the AHL.

Huh? No I meant this: Strong criticism hits home for Red Wings’ Anthony Mantha, Andreas Athanasiou

To be fair, that's not exactly friction and pretty par for the course for comments against a younger player on a losing team. But since he's also an RFA, maybe the organization still has some caution around him related to the Jimmy D comments.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Assuming Tkachuk isn't on the board I'd be cool with Edmonton adding, but I highly doubt I'd be cool with Edmonton adding enough for it to matter to Detroit.

Blake456

Jan 1, 2018
So Drouin #3 of 2013 gets you sergi, #9 of 2016 and Drouin until this year had shown more than Mantha. But this years #8 can’t get you Mantha, that doesn’t make sense. In any case I don’t think either team would do it

Reactions: Dan Kelly

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
So Drouin #3 of 2013 gets you sergi, #9 of 2016 and Drouin until this year had shown more than Mantha. But this years #8 can’t get you Mantha, that doesn’t make sense. In any case I don’t think either team would do it
In what way has Drouin shown more then Mantha? First 70 games Jonathon Drouin 32 points first 70 games Anthony Mantha 39 points Drouin posted 53 points in his first full season with Tampa and with 12 games left Mantha has 41 points in his first full season in Detroit. Numbers are pretty similar to me.

yababy

Jun 26, 2015
So Drouin #3 of 2013 gets you sergi, #9 of 2016 and Drouin until this year

Drouin fetched that because he's French Canadian. Edmonton isn't going to overpay the same way for Mantua - he's not even Ukrainian.
Drouin value has slipped to a mid to late first round pick by the time the trade went down.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017

Lol. There's not a team in the league that would value Drouin at #3 anymore. And the general opinion since day one has been that MTL got bent over in that trade.

The comparison doesn't even qualify anyways, as you're comparing a player for player trade to a player for pick trade. Sergachev was known to be a stud prospect.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
FWIW Jonathon Drouin #3 230 games played 132 points Dylan Larkin #15 231 games played 127 points bet over his career that Larkin puts up better numbers then Drouin. Doubt Drouin ever lives up to his full potential.

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
I don't mind it as an Oilers fan. Mantha has lots of talent, just seems to be in the doghouse with Blashill. I think I want something else coming back with Mantha though, preferably a decent prospect as the Oilers salary cap situation is gutted with the likes of Lucic and Russell.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Who is your Number #1?

Zetterberg on reputation at the moment. Larkin is our best. Larkin and RNH would probably flip-flop between who's better from time to time, but as I said earlier unless Larkin reaches his absolute ceiling, he's not a legit #1C and neither is RNH.

Trading for RNH makes zero sense as we already have an RNH in Larkin.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
To Oilers:

Anthony Mantha

To Detroit:

8th overall pick (post-lottery)

Preface: Looking to settle a debate at work, so if I'm way off and it's not close, please feel free to move or whatever. I think the trade is pretty even; Mantha would be a wicked fit next to McDavid, frees up Pulj to play with Draisaitl, and the Oilers need to compete now. Co-worker thinks the Oilers would need something else going back to them but I strongly disagree.

For the Red Wings, they get another top-10 pick and have had some rumoured friction with Mantha. Could probably snag whoever falls from the Hughes/Bouchard/Smith tier or Wahlstrom/Tkachuk. Could also use it to package something else and move up for Svechnikov if they don't win a lottery spot.

Thoughts?

Value wise I think you are right on . Not sure the Wings do it as the spent time on developing Mantha and to throw that out just to start over isn't the smartest thing . I also think Edmonton passes as they will need young players on ELC to help off set McD and Draisaitl salary . Oh and Lucic's but we won't get into that . All in all fair value but base on where the teams are I think both team pass

Reactions: SirloinUB

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Holy **** is Mantha getting overrated in here... He is a good player but nothing to warrant this type of return. I wouldn't trade Nuge straight up for him and you want Klefbom on top of that? The guy hasn't even cracked 50 points once...

Fans of other teams and also Edmonton own fans have bash Nurse for years because he never set the world on fire yet . But I been saying it since his draft year +1 that he has improved ever year . I rather have a player who improves every year then one that comes out and sets the world on fire only to come crashing down . Watch Mantha play . He has gotten better every year . Eberle score 50 points almost yearly but most Oilers fan could not wait to run him out of town because he could not win a battle for the puck against a pee wee checker . He also did not know the meaning of back check or defence . I am not comparing the 2 players . I am making a point that points aren't everything in measure a players worth

Wingsfan 4 life

Oct 9, 2016
Huh? No I meant this: Strong criticism hits home for Red Wings’ Anthony Mantha, Andreas Athanasiou

To be fair, that's not exactly friction and pretty par for the course for comments against a younger player on a losing team. But since he's also an RFA, maybe the organization still has some caution around him related to the Jimmy D comments.

Devellano's comments were made 4 years ago. If there was any caution the the team had related to them, Mantha wouldn't be a Wing today.

Yes, Mantha is an RFA, and due for a healthy raise, so there could very well be some friction during the negotiation process in the coming months. There's zero evidence of that showing now.

As for the deal in the OP. I think the 8th is fair but unlikely to happen. For me, it really would depend who is on the board.

Last edited:

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
He’s reportedly playing with a bum shoulder. It’s been debated to death why he hasn’t been shutdown to heal it.
We know why. He has been dealing with it for years and until this year non surgical methods were working. He has surgery scheduled and it isn't at risk of being injured further so he is playing until his surgery.

Dan Kelly

Sep 27, 2017
Zetterberg on reputation at the moment. Larkin is our best. Larkin and RNH would probably flip-flop between who's better from time to time, but as I said earlier unless Larkin reaches his absolute ceiling, he's not a legit #1C and neither is RNH.

Trading for RNH makes zero sense as we already have an RNH in Larkin.

What you said makes no sense! It's never bad to have defensive depth. And you're not going to win anything with Larkin and an ancient Zetterberg as your top 2 centers. o_O

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
What you said makes no sense! It's never bad to have defensive depth. And you're not going to win anything with Larkin and an ancient Zetterberg as your top 2 centers. o_O

RNH doesn't seem to have a good playoff record as well. Detroit rather get a good puck-moving defenseman than he.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad