Confirmed Trade: [DET/OTT] Alex DeBrincat (signs 4 years, $7.875M AAV) for Dominik Kubalik, Donovan Sebrango, cond. 2024 or 2025 1st (DET or BOS), 2024 4th

kranuck

Mar 11, 2023
I used to think this way, then someone said what if all of the top 5 picks banded together and said they only want to sign with one team. Then the perpetually bad teams will always be bad.

I do believe though that they should be able to sign for however much they want and not the "rookie pay" that goes on. If a team is willing to pay a player 2 mil to keep the rights of the player, then I don't see why they can't.
There are numerous ways to restrict the teams from signing all the talent without restricting the players.

The draft is an anti-player abomination that shouldn't exist. I also think the emphasis on tanking for picks is awful for the sport.

• Haha
Reactions: Umingmak

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Since March 31st...

Dominik Kubalik, 13 games, 0+2=2 points, -5
Alex DeBrincat, 13 games, 10+7=17 points, +4.

And Ottawa currently getting either BOS 31st overall 2024 1st round pick, or DET 29th overall 2024 1st round pick.

Lower of those two options.

DeBrincat also surpassed Patrik Laine as the 3rd best producer from the 2016 NHL entry-draft.

1698132838482.png

UglyPuckling

May 14, 2021
As soon as they lose 2 games in a row, they'll all be coming back to say their stuff again lol.
It's like that for every team though. People just love to watch a car wreck it seems, and criticize. It's a thing here. If those posts were removed, more than half of the posts would disappear.

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
It's like that for every team though. People just love to watch a car wreck it seems, and criticize. It's a thing here. If those posts were removed, more than half of the posts would disappear.
and then we wouldn't get the fun arguments that turn into keyboard warriors acting like they know more than another. I get it.

Very fun lol.

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
2 time 40 goal scorer wasn't going to forget to score goals.

Honestly he tanked his guaranteed earnings Pouting in Ottawa.

I thought it was a solid contract and it's turning out to be much better than expected.

Reactions: WingsToPick4th

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
There are numerous ways to restrict the teams from signing all the talent without restricting the players.

The draft is an anti-player abomination that shouldn't exist. I also think the emphasis on tanking for picks is awful for the sport.
I assume you also advocate for getting rid of entry level contracts and restricted free agency?

UglyPuckling

May 14, 2021
and then we wouldn't get the fun arguments that turn into keyboard warriors acting like they know more than another. I get it.

Very fun lol.
Yep, it seems like some posters live for those arguments & the doomsday scenarios (real or imagined). LOL. You keep seeing the same names in multiple similar themed threads.

• Haha
Reactions: Detroit Knights

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
I assume you also advocate for getting rid of entry level contracts and restricted free agency?
I'm not a fan of RFA contracts/negotiation/limits. Probably should do more research but its crazy that if a player just absolutely hates his situation (and doesn't publicly say this, he just grits the teeth and deals with it) that they have to stay with that time barring offer sheet/trade.

If a player gets drafted and signs his ELC, then realizes that he is just not going to get the right opportunity to make the team, then they should have the ability to go to another team that gives them the availability without the media or even his original team paint him to be a bad guy for not wanting to stay so they requested a trade and left.

I can be swayed and I am usually on the owner's side of a lot of things. But controlling someone's development and they don't get a say irks me sometimes.

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
I'm not a fan of RFA contracts/negotiation/limits. Probably should do more research but its crazy that if a player just absolutely hates his situation (and doesn't publicly say this, he just grits the teeth and deals with it) that they have to stay with that time barring offer sheet/trade.

If a player gets drafted and signs his ELC, then realizes that he is just not going to get the right opportunity to make the team, then they should have the ability to go to another team that gives them the availability without the media or even his original team paint him to be a bad guy for not wanting to stay so they requested a trade and left.

I can be swayed and I am usually on the owner's side of a lot of things. But controlling someone's development and they don't get a say irks me sometimes.
You understand by giving rookies the ability to control where they go from the onset, that a third of the league would collapse due to nobody wanting to sign there?

Reactions: TS Quint

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
You understand by giving rookies the ability to control where they go from the onset, that a third of the league would collapse due to nobody wanting to sign there?
not from the onset, that would be before the ELC is sign. I am talking about before their RFA status that I was assuming was after ELC contract is completed.

I used to be for players just signing outside of college/chl to whatever team is willing to pay for them, but I have about-faced on that because of the comment you just said at the tail end there.

kranuck

Mar 11, 2023
In a capped league you can’t have a handful of teams signing everyone, plus the lack of roster spots.

There are also ways to restrict who teams can sign vs players.

For example ine system could be that ELCs are designed in tiers. Each tier is based on cap hit. Still 3 years (yes it’s a restriction on players but a pretty minor one).

Teams get a limited number of slots in each tier. Higher tier slots are much rarer.

So maybe the rangers and leafs get an advantage when they want a particular player, but they have to be strategic about when they actually do it. They can’t just sign the top 10 prospects from a draft, or even the top 2. Or even the top prospect multiple years in a row. Not unless those players are willing to take a discount.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Welcome to sports leagues almost everywhere else in the world. There's a reason kids as young as 8 are recruited for soccer academies.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Hockey isn't soccer. The NHL would fail quite quickly if it tried to mimic soccer. You'd end up with like 8 teams.
There is nothing inherently different between the two sports that necessitates wholly different labor agreements.

The leagues in the US are run the way they are run because rich dudes love fancy toys and a controlled environment in which to play with said toys.

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
“Maybe I got lazy,” becomes “he admits he was lazy! He was trying to hit posts so he wouldn’t have to play in the playoffs!”

“I want to become a better two way player,” becomes, “he purposefully sucked on D!”

Etc, etc.

Sens fans have become the softest fans on the internet.
Did a player take put everything on himself in a public interview instead of telling the truth? Say it ain't so!

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
There is nothing inherently different between the two sports that necessitates wholly different labor agreements.

The leagues in the US are run the way they are run because rich dudes love fancy toys and a controlled environment in which to play with said toys.
I don't think we are going to agree on this. I do not believe they are similar at all taking into account how soccer leagues are structured and the depth of talent available given the global appeal of soccer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad