Confirmed Trade: [DET/EDM] Kailer Yamamoto and Klim Kostin for future considerations

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
You guys will love him if you can get him signed. He is tough as nails and will fight. Scores some timely goals too. He was apparently wanting 2 mill and played less than 10 minutes a game. Oilers just couldnt afford him for the amount of time he plays. Detroit might be able to sign him for less though. On the negative side he was inconsistent and took a few too many dumb penalties. More ice time might help though.

Klimdros is a legit scrapper but how hard does he hit, Oilers fans? And how is his skating?

I actually think hes the perfect winger on a third line with Kasper as a rookie next year. Kasper stirs up shit, but Kostin has has his back and enough skill to not hold him back offensively if you throw someone like Berggren on the other wing.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I know all about the cap situation. It doesn't make turning 1st round picks into nothing any better.
Well the entire basis of your argument is flawed as players don't have the value that their draft position reflects this many years after the draft.

Klimdros is a legit scrapper but how hard does he hit, Oilers fans? And how is his skating?

I actually think hes the perfect winger on a third line with Kasper as a rookie next year. Kasper stirs up shit, but Kostin has has his back and enough skill to not hold him back offensively if you throw someone like Berggren on the other wing.
Kim hits hard. You will like him. There was something about his game that our coach didn't trust to play above the 4th line. His positioning and awareness isn't the bbest, but he plays hard, doesn't back down, and has a good shot. I could see him becoming a middle six winger, but I could also see him getting in the bad books of coaches around the league and flaming out. He's a good gamble to take.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Lol, blaming Bettman for Hollands' problems is hilarious blud. Nurse is getting paid more than Makar. Hyman is an awful contract, and then getting Kane on top of that was not really needed. Ceci is probably being paid 1.5 million too much and wanting to pay close to 3 million for Foegle is hilarious. Campbell was overvalued at UFA and paid a premium for somebody that lost the starting role. I am not saying that Yamamoto and Kostin are the answers long-term, but you lot drafted Kalier and then gave him an extension and now simply gave him away for free due to overvaluation. Hilarious organisation.
Nurse is overpaid by 2M, but comparing him to the worst deal in the league (from a player perspective) isn't really making a point. Everyone knows Makar accepted an underpayment.

Hyman and Kane are on great deals for their production. Ceci is a 2nd pair RD at 3.25M. That's a good deal too. The Oilers have Nurse overpaid by 2, Foegele overpaid by 1 and Campbell overpaid by 5 last year. Other than that, they moved out the only 2 underperformed guys they had in Pulujarvi and Yamamoto.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
Nurse is overpaid by 2M, but comparing him to the worst deal in the league (from a player perspective) isn't really making a point. Everyone knows Makar accepted an underpayment.

Hyman and Kane are on great deals for their production. Ceci is a 2nd pair RD at 3.25M. That's a good deal too. The Oilers have Nurse overpaid by 2, Foegele overpaid by 1 and Campbell overpaid by 5 last year. Other than that, they moved out the only 2 underperformed guys they had in Pulujarvi and Yamamoto.
Foegele wasn't even Hollands deal

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Lol, blaming Bettman for Hollands' problems is hilarious blud. Nurse is getting paid more than Makar. Hyman is an awful contract, and then getting Kane on top of that was not really needed. Ceci is probably being paid 1.5 million too much and wanting to pay close to 3 million for Foegle is hilarious. Campbell was overvalued at UFA and paid a premium for somebody that lost the starting role. I am not saying that Yamamoto and Kostin are the answers long-term, but you lot drafted Kalier and then gave him an extension and now simply gave him away for free due to overvaluation. Hilarious organisation.
Holy hell, 3 horrendous takes in one sentence. That has to be an HF record.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Yzerman doing Holland a solid. Yamamoto was pretty much a AHL player by the end of last year making too much money and Kostin is a decent btm 6 but hasnt found the consistency to be considered a 3rd liner

Not having to pay to get rid of Yamamoto was pretty nice by Yzerman even with Kostin involved the way GMs are guarding cap space. Good to have old friends

Reactions: ManofSteel55

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Yzerman doing Holland a solid. Yamamoto was pretty much a AHL player by the end of last year making too much money and Kostin is a decent btm 6 but hasnt found the consistency to be considered a 3rd liner

Not having to pay to get rid of Yamamoto was pretty nice by Yzerman even with Kostin involved the way GMs are guarding cap space. Good to have old friends
Good take. Both players could be NHL'ers. Yamamoto will need some luck with his health, but he could rebound. Kostin could be an NHL'er based on the tools he has, but he's only proven to be a really good 4th liner so far. Getting out of Yamamoto's 3.1M hit for the year is big, and we probably need to replace both with 1M guys, so we couldn't even fit Kostin in unfortunately.

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010

Hyman and Ceci are fair contracts IMO. Kane brought an element the Oilers really needed

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Yzerman adding former St. Louis Blues player?

Call me surprised. :)

Everything started from Robby Fabbri. It's starting to a long list:
- W Fabbri (for De la Rose)
- D Walman (from Leddy trade)
- RW Sundqvist (from Leddy trade)
- G Husso (traded for UFA rights)
- W Perron (UFA)
- W Kostin (EDM-trade, + Yamamoto)

I wonder if Ryan O'Reilly (Perron's good buddy) is also the UFA target. :) Wings a still missing a legit center, before Kasper and Danielson are ready.
I would bet on it. He also fills a position they need short term solutions at. Whether he accepts it or not, is another thing. I do think they’ll be in on him, Killorn, JVR and on the backend, probably Klingberg makes the most sense. Only due to their lack of points coming from their D right now. A Schenn or Mayfield makes more sense to help bring along Edvinsson but they need someone on the PP too.

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
I would bet on it. He also fills a position they need short term solutions at. Whether he accepts it or not, is another thing. I do think they’ll be in on him, Killorn, JVR and on the backend, probably Klingberg makes the most sense. Only due to their lack of points coming from their D right now. A Schenn or Mayfield makes more sense to help bring along Edvinsson but they need someone on the PP too.
just sign o'reilly (meh) and get Tarasenko as well. Third line of those two + perron I wouldn't hate. Move Tarasenko up and down when needed.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
just sign o'reilly (meh) and get Tarasenko as well. Third line of those two + perron I wouldn't hate. Move Tarasenko up and down when needed.
I think they’d probably like JVR much more than Tarasenko, but I actually could see it happening. On him, it’s just so hard to figure out where he’s going as a player. JVR has already switched up his game a little to extend his career. If they had the same agent, I’d be more inclined to think it could happen, but who knows.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
So, the wings did this trade just to buy out Yamamoto?
His buyout costs almost nothing. I think this is something like the Wings taking Yamamoto instead of paying a 3rd or a 4th for Kostin.

Yamamoto can help someone though, it's just such a tight cap landscape. He's good value at 1.25-1.5, somewhere in there. He'll have no trouble getting another deal.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
His buyout costs almost nothing. I think this is something like the Wings taking Yamamoto instead of paying a 3rd or a 4th for Kostin.

Yamamoto can help someone though, it's just such a tight cap landscape. He's good value at 1.25-1.5, somewhere in there. He'll have no trouble getting another deal.
Yeah, but it seems Kostin isn't going to sign ?

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
The KHL thing was always just leverage for Kostin to get around $2 million. He’ll likely sign for a couple of years at right around there. $1.85-$2.15. Detroit overpaying a couple hundred grand isn’t breaking any bank. Unfortunately things in Edmonton are really that tight.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Hyman and Ceci are fair contracts IMO. Kane brought an element the Oilers really needed
Again, Hyman and Kane are solid players, but are both truly needed? Oilers would still be scoring a ton even if one of them weren't on the team. Again, you lot aren't losing because of offence, however, replacing Ceci with somebody that is superior with the Hyman/Kane money would be a step in the right direction. Oilers blame their entire problems on two players, Nurse and goaltending, and that just doesn't cut it because it takes a lot more to be swept by the Avs and lose to freakin' Hill in next year's series.
You are the reason I'm embarrassed to be polish.
We can come to a heartfelt understanding about each other and our love around a bowl of bigos.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Lecce vs Udinese
    Lecce vs Udinese