Confirmed Trade: [DET/EDM] Kailer Yamamoto and Klim Kostin for future considerations

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
loling at this chaosorange guy talking shit ITT after being convinced Kenny would be getting a mid round pick back

This is a whatever cap clearing trade where I don't think anybody really 'wins' but it sure seems to me the Oilers are still stuck in the same cycle of reactionary decisions born from their own prior poor management they've been in for the last however many years. At some point you need to act proactively like Vegas has and stop plugging and reopening holes with home depot putty.
Yamamoto was proven to have no value, the guy likely wasn’t going to reproduce his 20 goal season. But all Canadian franchises have been hampered by below average to poor management, Yamamoto at 3.2 x 2 isn’t overly outlandish.

In a perfect world you dump Yamamoto and use part of that to pay Kostin, Holland likely wasn’t willing to attach a pick to move Yamamoto though

Eagle Fang

Less Defending, More Offending
Oct 12, 2005
Did you leave out Gabriel Vilardi, far and away the best piece of that deal, accidentally or on purpose? They also had to dump Durzi to fit PLD in.
I did because from a depth perspective, PLD replaces Vilardi.

And even though you're an Oilers fan, surely you saw how badly Durzi was victimized in the playoffs. There are 2 players most feel are far better and ready to take his place

nturn06

Nov 9, 2017

Are the Oil that strapped for cap where they couldn't fork out 900k+ for Kostin? He seems like a great fit for them.

It seems that he was asking for double that to sign in Edmonton. If that is true, keeping him would had been stupid.

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
This was better than buying out Yamamoto.

Bummer to lose both for nothing, but that's the cost for trying to be competitive. Both had some good moments in Edmonton.

Reactions: McDoused

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Kostin was the sweetners to offset Yama's contract.
Tough loss for Oilers but thats what you gotta do when u got no cap space.

f*** Gary, cap should be at 90M+
Lol, blaming Bettman for Hollands' problems is hilarious blud. Nurse is getting paid more than Makar. Hyman is an awful contract, and then getting Kane on top of that was not really needed. Ceci is probably being paid 1.5 million too much and wanting to pay close to 3 million for Foegle is hilarious. Campbell was overvalued at UFA and paid a premium for somebody that lost the starting role. I am not saying that Yamamoto and Kostin are the answers long-term, but you lot drafted Kalier and then gave him an extension and now simply gave him away for free due to overvaluation. Hilarious organisation.

Aug 3, 2010
Wild that Corry Perry got a 7th but Yamamoto AND Kostin couldn't get anything.

What is happening in Edmonton?

Reactions: WingsToPick4th

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
I think Kostin just wanted out. As others have said he wasn't getting much ice time in EDM. Last 2 games against VGK he got less than 4min.

Right, just like Oiler fans stay out of Calgary threads.

This is the main board, not your safe space.
Imagine being told to leave the main board.lol. This is literally what it is for.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Am I missing something with Kostin? I thought he was really starting to develop into a decent depth player this season. They couldn't get anything for him?
reports were/are that Kostin was on the verge of signing in the KHL earlier today and Holland always leaves everything to the last second, so he backed himself up against a wall.

Tom Brady

Legend of all Legends!
Feb 13, 2010
This guy was on the verge of becoming a top-6 forward.

He was already the best Oiler forward not name McDavid, Draisaitl, RNH, Kane, or Hyman.

Woodcraft had a midget like Yamamoto who was utterly useless the entire year glued to the top-6, meanwhile Kostin was an impactful player with zero weakness in his game playing on the 3rd/4th line with only 6/7 mins a game.

This reminds me of the Curtis Glencross situation where Kevin Lowe didn't want to pay Glencross an extra 200k per.

Reactions: PanniniClaus

BurnabyJoe7

Not an Avalanche fan
Apr 12, 2019
This guy was on the verge of becoming a top-6 forward.

He was already the best Oiler forward not name McDavid, Draisaitl, RNH, Kane, or Hyman.

Woodcraft had a midget like Yamamoto who was utterly useless the entire year glued to the top-6, meanwhile Kostin was an impactful player with zero weakness in his game playing on the 3rd/4th line with only 6/7 mins a game.

This reminds me of the Curtis Glencross situation where Kevin Lowe didn't want to pay Glencross an extra 200k per.
Lol yes zero weakness to his game. He went from waiver wire to a perfect player in less than a year.

I wanted the oilers to keep him but if he was expecting 2mil+ I'm fine with the trade. I thought he did a lot with the opportunities he was given and i wish we could have seen what he could do this year. O well. More room on the roster for the young guys like Holloway and bourgeault to make an impact

CF84

I want to go home, O I want to go home!
Feb 21, 2017
The real cowtown, AB
I hate watched most Oilers games this last year and Kostin was a player I was disappointed to see playing really well. I noticed him in good ways most nights and he was one of the most promising depth pieces that team desperately needs. My good friend who loves the Oilers couldn't stop talking about how great he is. I am glad he is gone for Mr. Considerations himself.

Yamamoto is fine too, but he won't likely reach his past totals without being stapled to a Drai.

I'm not sure there is an Oilers fan out there who is happy with this trade while also being honest with themselves.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
He was getting maybe 10 minutes a night. These guys do also want to play.
He was effective almost every shift in the playoffs for the Oil but usually played 7 to 8 minutes. Not sure if they felt they could only trust him in certain matchups but he brings size, energy, a decent skill set and positivity... I felt the Oilers did not give that guy enough at all.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011

Are the Oil that strapped for cap where they couldn't fork out 900k+ for Kostin? He seems like a great fit for them.

I think he’s saying it’s a 900k difference in take home after tax money. His agent was asking 1.75-2 oilers were offering 1-1.125

Wild that Corry Perry got a 7th but Yamamoto AND Kostin couldn't get anything.

What is happening in Edmonton?
They essentially paid Kostin to take on Yamamoto.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
I think the oilers should have paid a pick to get rid of Yamamoto and resign kostin for what he wants. Guy has a bit of untapped potential. Like a poor man's nuke.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad