Confirmed Trade: [DET/EDM] Kailer Yamamoto and Klim Kostin for future considerations

Unspecified

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Apr 29, 2015
Ya bingo, win win for both sides.

The dumbest takes gotta be the dudes trying so hard to pile on with "WOW TWO FIRSTS FOR NOTHING!"

Like c'mon, smarten up guys lol Plenty of 1st rounders don't amount to SHIT in the NHL.
I mean is not like Yamamoto was a complete non-factor. Dude scored 20/21 in 21/22, last year he was bad. Being a 1st means nothing these days...see Jack Campbell and Scott Glennie.

Reactions: McDoused and Coffey

EverTheCynic

May 26, 2022
I mean is not like Yamamoto was a complete non-factor. Dude scored 20/21 in 21/22, last year he was bad.
He was playing with McDrai. Getting prime minutes with the best players on the planet.

You shouldn't be saying he scored 20 goals, you should be saying he only scored 20 goals.

Reactions: nturn06

KingPuckChoo

Go kinGs Go !
Jun 24, 2007
And you guys still lost back to back playoff series against what you claim is a 2 forward team. Plus the winning goals in all 4 games this last playoff series was scored by make a wish players, Kostin, Hyman, Bjustad and Yamamoto.

Can't beat a make a wish team twice in a 7 games series ? Does that make you feel better?

hey im the first to admit i would love to have McDrai on the roster

no team building required

it's just easier

enjoy it guys!

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
Future considerations could be anything, it could be a $20 Amazon gift card for all we know. Detroit wins this trade, Yamo will be given every opportunity to be a top 6 guy there. Maybe he finally breaks out and lives up to his draft status.
Yamamoto will be a 3rd liner, who could end up like Caggiuila. Good little player, but at NHL level everybody is superskilled, so he has to compensate with rough playng, that hurts his career and health. Caggiuila is reitred today, right? I could see Yamamoto go the same route if he isnt changing.

I think Kostin is the player woth highest upside here, but he could as well just bolt to KHL anytime.

Coffey

☠️not a homer☠️
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Phase 4 HMV
I mean is not like Yamamoto was a complete non-factor. Dude scored 20/21 in 21/22, last year he was bad. Being a 1st means nothing these days...see Jack Campbell and Scott Glennie.
He got injured and was never the same.
He came back with hands like Puljujarvi.

KingPuckChoo

Go kinGs Go !
Jun 24, 2007
Ah yes. Trash talk among two fan bases who‘s teams are pretenders.

Seriously before the "rivalry" started, i had no idea it was this fun poking at Oils fans

with Ducks/Sharks fans, it's an actual tug & pull war with solid comebacks from all sides

but with Oils fans, it's always about who's dad is the strongest LOL

Reactions: Shane Diesel

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
He wasnt rushed. He played in Bako for some years. Became NHLer at 21. Thats regular.
he played 26 nhl games before he was 21 and never played even half an ahl season. oilers rushed the shit out of him and then completely ruined him as a makeshift butler for mcdrai. you try developing as an undersized creative offensive hockey player when your first, second and third option is always mcdrai and they will both scorch you if you don't get them the puck, let alone lose the puck.

oilers sacrificed his career to feed mcdrai because they had no other offensive talent.

many such stories.

• Haha
Reactions: McRpro

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
he played 26 nhl games before he was 21 and never played even half an ahl season. oilers rushed the shit out of him and then completely ruined him as a makeshift butler for mcdrai. you try developing as an undersized creative offensive hockey player when your first, second and third option is always mcdrai and they will both scorch you if you don't get them the puck, let alone lose the puck.

oilers sacrificed his career to feed mcdrai because they had no other offensive talent.

many such stories.
really? Yaamoto was gifted that spot because he had sucha great 26 games on that year with RNH and Draisaitl. And I doubt he get scorched by those two, Drai and McDavid. Though, I bet Draisaitl can be brutally honest, and that in a way that some probably cant handle.

Draisaitl = hockeys gordon ramsey.

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
WOW... Nothing beats free. Yzerman trying to start out of the gates early for next season... trying to get that GM of the year award...

Verbeek's thoughts right now "ah... that is how you do it... don't turn things down so quickly (being a ball of hate) and you might get some value deals done! Boy I wish I could still learn from him now...... I was only getting his coffee and dry cleaning during those years under him... "

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
loling at this chaosorange guy talking shit ITT after being convinced Kenny would be getting a mid round pick back

Yamamoto’s buyout is 600k or so. He’s also a year removed from 20 goals. His value isn’t good, but it’s not zero.
Seravalli said today there's enough interest out there that Edmonton isn't going to buy him out and the worst case scenario is they trade him at full hit for nothing.
If I was running the Chicago Blackhawks - who are currently 17 million under the cap floor, and have four 2nds and 2 3rds, and I had the chance to grab an American former first round pick with a 20 goal season for a 3rd rounder, I'd jump at the opportunity. Snag him and throw him on a 2nd line and give him some powerplay time. It's a one year contract. If he plays well, you've gotten an effective player for nothing and everyone gets to laugh at Edmonton. If he doesn't, you let him walk and have only thrown a third rounder at him. Seems like a no brainer to me.
Guess we'll see. Seravalli pretty plainly said that the absolute worst case scenario for Edmonton is trading him for future considerations. A return of a mid round pick doesn't seem outlandish at all. He made it sound like Edmonton already has at least one firm offer to take him at full hit and they're exploring all the options now. I really don't think his value is as poor as you seem to believe. He's small, but he's also a former first rounder that has a 20 goal, 40 point season and he's young enough still that his value can rebound.

This is a whatever cap clearing trade where I don't think anybody really 'wins' but it sure seems to me the Oilers are still stuck in the same cycle of reactionary decisions born from their own prior poor management they've been in for the last however many years. At some point you need to act proactively like Vegas has and stop plugging and reopening holes with home depot putty.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Yamamoto was awesome for the Oilers in his first season but the track record of players that size after the injuries pile up is very poor.

It seems to me that he's the cap dump and the Wings view Kostin as a serious asset, they think they can sign him. He's certainly valuable if you can get him going, and they need big guys like that on the wing.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Good for Detroit. They have the cap space for both. Yamamoto outpriced himself and it appears Kostin's agent intends to do the same with his client.

Neither Yamamoto or Kostin are bad players. And Detroit, who needs NHL players, just added two 24 year old former first rounders with NHL experience for free.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Nice to get some grit with kostin but i hope yamamoto is nothing more than a injury call up/13th forward. I would put him well behind guys like fabbri, berggren and soderblom.

Yamamoto is better than that. He's a solid 3rd line energy player, who can play up to the 2nd line when he is hot. He's certainly not the legit top 6 forward that many Oilers fans were stating he was, but he's definitely better than a 13th forward.

LilBallofHate

Apr 19, 2023
Thought Kostin had some really nice games vs the Kings in the playoffs.Physical, good along the boards, a goal here and there. And it looked like he was gaining confidence with each game. Interesting. But glad he's not on the Oilers anymore, Kings can't handle that.

Reactions: WingsToPick4th

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary

many such stories.
Outside of Q.Hughes and E.Petterson how many players have the Canucks developed into NHL regulars since Yamamoto was drafted?

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Gonna miss Klim but you can't over pay 3/4 line guys.

Yeah. I'd look at Klim's inclusion as the "value" sweetener to take Yamamoto's salary.

But the reality is, it sounded like Kostin was asking for something the Oilers really couldn't afford to overpay him on, for a fairly short track record of making an impact.

Kostin probably wants to get paid the way Yamomoto is at least, and you can even make a case that it wasn't an unreasonable ask when looking down the bench at it. Kostin hasn't established that he's a $3M+ player, especially not with term attached. So you have to move on i think. Sucks when "found money" like Kostin suddenly want to get "paid money". Kind of spoils the appeal of them as a cheap depth project.

Detroit have the cap space to overpay him and see what he does there. Not a big deal to take on a year of Yamamoto and he's easy to get rid of after that, if he doesn't make himself useful enough or doesn't want to take a haircut on his next deal. :dunno:

5 14 6 1

We are the 11.5%
Sep 15, 2010
Alberta
loling at this chaosorange guy talking shit ITT after being convinced Kenny would be getting a mid round pick back

This is a whatever cap clearing trade where I don't think anybody really 'wins' but it sure seems to me the Oilers are still stuck in the same cycle of reactionary decisions born from their own prior poor management they've been in for the last however many years. At some point you need to act proactively like Vegas has and stop plugging and reopening holes with home depot putty.
Stay in the Calgary threads. Plenty to worry about in that camp. Glass house.

Reactions: Morpheus

Talik Sanis

Feb 23, 2012
Montreal
Ok this is a weird trade considering I was told small offensive wingers were super important and should be drafted over big two way defenceman with “limited upside”
... are you extrapolating a principle from Yamamoto and applying it to Michkov?

That's like comparing Drouin and Kane.

Eagle Fang

Less Defending, More Offending
Oct 12, 2005
I mean, you're 0-2 so far, and you traded half your depth and your goalie tandem is Copley-Make A Wish kid, so... goodluck handling that indeed.
I mean if losing Iafallo and Kupari is half LA's depth, what did Edmonton lose in Yamamoto and Kostin? Both pairs had pretty similar production and TOI.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad