Destiny 2 | Curse of Osiris DLC

Status
Not open for further replies.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I didn't buy the DLC since the people i usually play with unanimously passed in favor of getting R6's new operators, but a friend of mine did and the outlook is not good.

- Main DLC storyline is about an 90-120 minutes long give or take. Given there's 5 missions, and the vanilla campaign missions took roughly 20 minutes give or take, 90 seems accurate.

- All new exotic cosmetics are locked to microtransactions apparently. They straight up don't show up in anything other than eververse bought engrams

- No new raid, with only the current raid being tweaked slightly.

- Probably worst of all, game modes in the old vanilla game (Trials/Nightfall/Prestige raid) are now locked out to players without the DLC.

I thought the main game was okay since my friends and i had fun with it, but thank god i didn't get suckered into buying the expansion pass.

Pretty much this. Destiny 2 is a huge scam so far and I would not recommend it to anyone who doesn't already have it. If you don't have the "DLC", don't get it.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
AKA. Ya caught us so were going to change it.

Like they had no idea what they were doing.

They didn't even change it. They just made it a little more transparent. Now you're getting the XP you should, but they doubled the amount you need. Still takes just as long to get each level.

Reactions: Lancer

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Myself and all of my buddies that played the game got a full refund on it last night. For those interested, with the new DLC, things like the Nightfall, and Raid are no longer accessible unless you buy the DLC(Your light level is now too low to enter these game modes), so basically part of the vanilla game is behind a paywall.

Found out through Reddit that because of this you can complain to Microsoft that it's not what you paid for when you bought the original game and get a refund. We all did it last night and all 4 of has instant success in getting our money back.

With how disappointing D2 was and the DLC sounding like it is somehow another step backwards, it was an easy decision for me to recoup the $92 spent on the game.

I'll probably keep an ear open for how the next DLC is gonna be in the next couple of months, as well as the progress made on Ranked Crucible/the other changes they talked about implementing but have yet to do so far.

If they make they game enjoyable and playable again, and cut out the stupid secrecy and lack of transparency they have shown over the last couple of months, I'll probably pick up the game again for cheap later in the summer or when the first major DLC drops likely next September.

Until that time, I'm quite happy to have my $90 back and be done with this game for a while.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Wait you got a refund on the whole game after dumping that much time into it?

...Might be worth a shot for me to try that. I feel ripped off by having part of the game locked to me even though i don't play it anymore.. That just reeks of dishonesty.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY

Also, this apparently happened when someone tried to get a refund:
Zn2DBfE.jpg

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
So i tried to get a refund. To no fault of the MS support guy (really friendly, have to say their customer service is solid in the couple other cases i tried to get a refund) he couldn't do squat. Apparently Bungie has "requested" microsoft hold back all further refunds because of ****ing course they did. He gave me a reference number and told me to check back in a couple days.

Bungie goes on my ****list for good now. To me, this is legitimately worse than the recent fiasco with EA. At least with battlefront you could totally see that coming and could have avoided it if you wanted to. This is taking something people already technically owned and locking part of it up, then expecting to pay people more money to access said content they already had 3 months ago. Absolutely greasy tactic from a business standpoint.

they said eververse wouldn't be intrusive. They said back in 2013 this game wasn't meant to nickle and dime you, yet here we are...

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
Destiny 2, Bungie and Activision did 2 things that were worse than what EA did:

1. They basically hid from you their system for XP gain, which basically punished any form of grinding for good things. Oh, and even though it gave you the same XP in numbers, it only did a fraction of that over time. That is shady as f*** and we should never let them forget what they did.

2. They literally locked out content that was regularly available in the vanilla game with a $20 DLC. They literally blocked content that was available before so they can make you pay money. That is f***ed on a whole ton of levels.

Reactions: irunthepeg

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
I want to see how Bungie deals with this. They've been quiet as **** since the DLC launched on tuesday. Not a good look.

EA came out and at least attempted to put out the fire within hours of battlefront launching.

Reactions: irunthepeg

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I want to see how Bungie deals with this. They've been quiet as **** since the DLC launched on tuesday. Not a good look.

EA came out and at least attempted to put out the fire within hours of battlefront launching.

Yeah I have to say this is pretty f***ing despicable.

And the fact that they requested that Microsoft not give refunds? Holy shit it's sickening.

You look at the front page of r/Destiny, and usually I don't agree with all the complaining and just write it off as a vocal minority, but all the issues on the front page are spot on and real issues.

Everything from nightfall, trials, and even the raid shotgun being locked behind CoO, paying $60 for the game, $20 per DLC (which barely counts as DLC), and then having almost all new things locked behind micro-transactions still?

I'm kicking myself for buying the deluxe version but at the same time I didn't see this coming. I thought D2 would pick up where D1 left off and make it better. Not strip it all down again and nickel and dime you.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
I got the Destiny 2 PS4 Pro. Its smexy... But I traded in the game about a month later. Glad it was a physical copy!

Though, I am tempted to try the demo on PC. I played the beta on PC and it was a lot more fun than on console.

No way I am giving Bungie any real $ for this junk though.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I am somewhat of a Bungie-fanboi so I might be biased, but as a company they have never done this sort of stuff. It's all Activision and their ideas, but I will also admit that Bungie is definitely at fault since they got bought by Activision.

For me, Destiny 2 is too good of a game to not penny for the future content, while I haven't bought the DLC I do plan to because I really like the game. It's very smooth in the shooting mechanics compared to Dice SWII where all it is, is a trigger happy game. With all that said, I absolutely respect all of you guys' who are taking a stand against paywalls and microtransactions. Especially when you lot say that Curse of Osiris is a bare-bone DLC. Furthermore, it's ****ing stupid by Activision to lock the game behind a paywall after the first DLC. I totally get the idea of maybe locking the game after all the DLCs, but not after the first one. When you consider that Destiny as a game is very plain vanilla until all the DLC's come out where it truly becomes an awesome game.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
I am 100% fine with locking new content behind DLC paywalls. Locking content I could do a week ago behind a paywall is garbage. I had just over 40 days as a PC player to experience everything before it got locked behind a paywall. I'm not spending another single cent on this game. Glad I got to pay $50 to play a game for a month.

Reactions: S E P H

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
possibly bad (or i guess good) news? one of the new weapons, the prometheus lens is apparently available via Xur. And since Xur isn't chilling on Mercury this week, the weapon is available to everyone.

It also happens to be the same weapon that the community has claimed (and appear to be correct) is broken beyond human comprehension. So uh, if you didn't like MIDA-mania in Trials earlier in the game's life, you probably will not like this gongshow.

Edit: Data already coming in on trials. It does not look pretty lol; Destiny Trials Report

Still no word on anything with the DLC though, so i doubt this keeps people happy.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
I am somewhat of a Bungie-fanboi so I might be biased, but as a company they have never done this sort of stuff. It's all Activision and their ideas, but I will also admit that Bungie is definitely at fault since they got bought by Activision.

For me, Destiny 2 is too good of a game to not penny for the future content, while I haven't bought the DLC I do plan to because I really like the game. It's very smooth in the shooting mechanics compared to Dice SWII where all it is, is a trigger happy game. With all that said, I absolutely respect all of you guys' who are taking a stand against paywalls and microtransactions. Especially when you lot say that Curse of Osiris is a bare-bone DLC. Furthermore, it's ****ing stupid by Activision to lock the game behind a paywall after the first DLC. I totally get the idea of maybe locking the game after all the DLCs, but not after the first one. When you consider that Destiny as a game is very plain vanilla until all the DLC's come out where it truly becomes an awesome game.

Yeah I first saw this last night and was a little skeptical about the outrage at first, as generally for a persistant online game the community is going to want those expansion packs. But the manner in which this 'expansion' came out so soon after launch, and pulls the dick move of cutting people out of 'end-game content' (all of it?) if people don't have it... just makes it seem like a calculated move to charge people $80 US up front for the game rather than $60.

Smoke

~consume enhance replicate~
Aug 2, 2005
PA
I'm fairly certain it was the same with Destiny 1. If the Nightfall was DLC, you couldn't play it.

I'm not saying it's right to do it, but the writing was on the wall.

Destiny alert: this week's Nightfall and Heroic strikes are locked behind The Dark Below DLC

I took a nice break from the game just after PC launch. After grinding 3 characters on console, it was much needed. For me there really isn't another shooter out there that has mechanics that feel this good.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Apparently i had a support ticket taken out with Microsoft in regards to a refund, and this is what they got back to me with;

We appreciate your time for bring this up to us. We really do understand that you would like to continue your progress without paying additional but current it is currently designed by marketing (Bungie) to purchase the expansion in order to progress through the campaign/story. As much as we would love to process a refund for you we are not allowed to process any refund as per the game developer. If you have further question about this issue you may send feedback with the game developer at All Topics | Forums | Bungie.net.
4:25 pm

That is an absolute disgrace and one of the most disgusting things i've ever read in regards to a video game.

That will legit be the last bungie or activision game i ever buy (not hard given i can't stand COD)

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
Apparently i had a support ticket taken out with Microsoft in regards to a refund, and this is what they got back to me with;

We appreciate your time for bring this up to us. We really do understand that you would like to continue your progress without paying additional but current it is currently designed by marketing (Bungie) to purchase the expansion in order to progress through the campaign/story. As much as we would love to process a refund for you we are not allowed to process any refund as per the game developer. If you have further question about this issue you may send feedback with the game developer at All Topics | Forums | Bungie.net.
4:25 pm

That is an absolute disgrace and one of the most disgusting things i've ever read in regards to a video game.

That will legit be the last bungie or activision game i ever buy (not hard given i can't stand COD)

Because you didn’t want to pay $20
For the DLC?

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
CoO is definitely one of the weaker expansions from a PvE perspective. Hard to defend recasting a vanilla strike as a "new" story mission. Or, for that matter, using a story mission as a strike(although I liked the Garden World mission, and it does work well as the strike version). The Mercury area is tiny, and the expansion doesn't seem to add much to the game beyond grinding your characters to max power again(if you're so inclined). It should be noted I haven't played the raid lair yet though. supposedly it's pretty fun.

I'm also irritated because I played the (ironically named) Bug In The System adventure last night, and at the final encounter the orb wouldn't spawn a second time so now I have to do the whole thing all over again. bleh.

this kind of also puts a lot of pressure on spring's expansion 2, because according to the rumoured roadmap we won't be getting anything significant again till later next year. Not sure Bungie can leave the game in more or less its current state for that long. They'll have to have it in much better shape in another few months to survive.

kurt

the last emperor
Sep 11, 2004
Victoria
so glad I sold this dud of a game while there were still a few people out there willing to buy it. awful.

Goalie_Bob

1992 Vezina (2nd)
Dec 30, 2005
Pittsburgh
I'm still having fun. :popcorn: And the DLC lockout issue has been fixed, except for the Prestige Nightfall.

I'd like to know how many of the people that asked for refund actually attempted a Prestige Nightfall or Prestige Raid.......:allears:

Caveat emptor

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
Do all you know how to do is defend micro transactions? Every god damn thread with you it's the same thing.

Every god damned thread is you guys whining about having to pay for anything. You look like cheapskates. I want to talk about the game but it always devolves into having to pay for games.

Why don’t you (or someone) start a thread where you can whine about having to pay for games and stop hijacking the game threads.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Well, surely the people who wanted a monotonous grind in line with Destiny 1 are happy. These Mercury weapon forge materials are such a pain in the ass to collect.... it's all filler to artificially lengthen your time in the game... just like Destiny 1. Getting flashbacks from this trash quest design.

Storyline was....nothing.

Heroic Adventures are actually pretty good. Like Nightfall Lites.

New maps have been alright for the most part.

Lair is sub-Crota.

Definitely not worth the price of the expansion.

...but the pull of social comparison and hoarding is strong. So I'm going to collect all the new gear and ornaments anyway. I already paid for it, may as well wring what I can out of the game before signing off til a legit expansion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad