Recalled/Assigned: Dermott to the Leafs Marincin back to the Marlies

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
If we’re not going to scratch him, we need to change how we deploy him:

- Home games only so we don’t lose the last change
- Match him exclusively against 4th lines at ES
- Save him for PK and play him less at even strength. Kind of like what Columbus did with Gagner last year on the PP.

It’s too bad we have to shelter multiple defencemen on this roster (Gardiner, Carrick, Borgman as well) because it really complicates our deployment strategy.
Pretty sure Gardiner hasn't been sheltered at all this season.. has a high level of QoC, plays close to 23 minutes a night and has a 50/50 zone start %.

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's
Pretty sure Gardiner hasn't been sheltered at all this season.. has a high level of QoC, plays close to 23 minutes a night and has a 50/50 zone start %.

All true. My (poorly made) point of including Gardiner in that grouping is because he has struggled this season in this deployment, and could benefit from additional sheltering. He's shown to perform best with 60/40 zone start ratio, which he isn't getting this year.

But having a very thin blueline behind him makes that sheltering an impossibility. In my view, based on what we've seen this season, Gardiner doesn't have the capacity to take on more responsibility to lessen the load on Polak, because he's having tough enough a time with his current deployment.

Reactions: Ziggdiezan

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
All true. My (poorly made) point on Gardiner is that he has struggled this season in this deployment, and could benefit from additional sheltering. But having a very thin blueline behind him makes that an impossibility. In my view, based on what we've seen this season, Gardiner doesn't have the capacity to take on more responsibility to lessen the load on Polak, because he's having tough enough a time with his current deployment.
Gardiner started terribly but hasn't been too bad in recent times. Honestly I think he may look better without Zaitsev. They just don't have chemistry and never seem to know where each other are.

Maybe a Zaistev/Borgman pairing would be add some balance to the top 6

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Gardiner started terribly, but hasn't been too bad in recent times. Honestly, I think he may look better without Zaitsev. They just don't have chemistry and never seem to know where each other are.

Maybe a Zaistev/Borgman pairing would be add some balance to the top 6

Jakes last 15 games, offensive zone starts

1. 72% ~ Sens game
  2. 80%
  3. 63%
  4. 60%
  5. 58%
  6. 58%
  7. 58%
  8. 55%
  9. 70%
  10. 81%
  11. 40%
  12. 70% < Zaitsev broken foot
  13. 35%
  14. 42%
  15. 25%
IMO, Polak obviously has taken defensive responsibility from Gardiner since Zaitsevs injury.

Last edited:

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Jakes last 15 games
  1. 72% ~ Sens game
  2. 80%
  3. 63%
  4. 60%
  5. 58%
  6. 58%
  7. 58%
  8. 55%
  9. 70%
  10. 81%
  11. 40%
  12. 70% < Zaitsev broken foot
  13. 35%
  14. 42%
  15. 25%
IMO, Polak obviously has taken defensive responsibility from Gardiner since Zaitsevs injury.
Are these zone starts?

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Are these zone starts?
A few of the very high O-zone games were with Dermott so I think that makes sense.
Also the pretty constant 58% other than that makes sense as Gardiner was playing with Polak or Carrick rather than a top 4 defender. Though as I said before Gardiner and Zaitsev don't seem to have any chemistry

GermanLeaf

Jun 9, 2011
I think you missed the point or are proving the point.
The quote was about special teams
I think you missed the point of why Polak's PK numbers were even brought up in the first place. It's been explained ad nauseam on the last page.

Enough off topic, very encouraging that both Dermott and Gauthier will be back with the team after the break. The insertion of Dermott especially will go a long way to finally provide some inner-organisational optimization. His skillset is tailor made for modern hockey and will be a big boost to our defensive corps.

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
I think you missed the point of why Polak's PK numbers were even brought up in the first place. It's been explained ad nauseam on the last page.

Enough off topic, very encouraging that both Dermott and Gauthier will be back with the team after the break. The insertion of Dermott especially will go a long way to finally provide some inner-organisational optimization. His skillset is tailor made for modern hockey and will be a big boost to our defensive corps.
He will be a mainstay on this defence for a long time. The fact he didn’t play against Ottawa is another in a long line of boneheaded decisions made by Babcock with player utilization. To his credit,he eventually does get it right.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other

And counter explained

Yes happy for Dermott. I've been waiting for him to make the team for a long time. Kid is very impressive all around.

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
All true. My (poorly made) point of including Gardiner in that grouping is because he has struggled this season in this deployment, and could benefit from additional sheltering. He's shown to perform best with 60/40 zone start ratio, which he isn't getting this year.

But having a very thin blueline behind him makes that sheltering an impossibility. In my view, based on what we've seen this season, Gardiner doesn't have the capacity to take on more responsibility to lessen the load on Polak, because he's having tough enough a time with his current deployment.

He's lazy. That's really the bottom line with gardiner

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
dermott, gauthier, and kappy all look ready, but lou and babs are sticking with their philosophy of i rather they be over ready and that if you make team you are on it to stay, and love riding the vets instead

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
dermott, gauthier, and kappy all look ready, but lou and babs are sticking with their philosophy of i rather they be over ready and that if you make team you are on it to stay, and love riding the vets instead

It's essentially they want to instill a hard work mentality. Nothing is given. No matter how good you are you need to compete and there's nothing wrong with that

Reactions: saltming

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
It's essentially they want to instill a hard work mentality. Nothing is given. No matter how good you are you need to compete and there's nothing wrong with that
It's funny because I'm pretty sure all of us fans want a winning mentality for the team yet when the management goes about creating it so many fans buckle and want it done their way.
I've been aching for Dermott to make this team. I thought he was ready last year half way through the season but I also see the logic in not wasting assets, continuing his development and showing him the value of making it to the big league and staying there.
Kudos to shanny and co we are once again a respectable organization and not a laughing stock. As a matter of fact that part gets overlooked too. Since Ballard we were not a desired destination because of the front office, values and club direction. Now suddenly we are. All these changes are what makes us respectable. Once again the name on the front of the jersey speaks of pride.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
except for the whole thing where veterans get a free pass completely, and that Dermott and Kapanen have worked hard and have the talent to be on the team

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad