Recalled/Assigned: Dermott to the Leafs Marincin back to the Marlies

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
except for the whole thing where veterans get a free pass completely, and that Dermott and Kapanen have worked hard and have the talent to be on the team

the veterans have put their time in.. they are after all veterans. The whole point is to control our RFA's and keep their expectations in check. Look at how many RFA's have requested trades because they have felt entitled or promised things teams didn't hold to?

That won't happen in toronto because of the way Management is running things.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Babcock is a coach who will reduce the effectiveness of the lineup (IE Polak in over Dermott) in order to fit his arbitrary vision of what a lineup needs to look like. Just the typical actions of a stubborn egomaniac coach.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
the veterans have put their time in.. they are after all veterans. The whole point is to control our RFA's and keep their expectations in check. Look at how many RFA's have requested trades because they have felt entitled or promised things teams didn't hold to?

That won't happen in toronto because of the way Management is running things.
it really depends, I guess. to me a spot in the lineup is either up for grabs by merit/hard work or it goes to the vet because they paid their dues

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
it really depends, I guess. to me a spot in the lineup is either up for grabs by merit/hard work or it goes to the vet because they paid their dues
There is a little gray area in there too. Grabbing a spot means that as soon as it's reasonable space will be made. Again if we waive polak or Carrick and they get picked up and we could have received a pick for them, I would consider that bad asset management. I would rather we work Dermott is while managing the big picture.
One thing for a successful team is building a solid pipeline through the draft so the more picks the more chances we have to hit on some quality players.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
Babcock is a coach who will reduce the effectiveness of the lineup (IE Polak in over Dermott) in order to fit his arbitrary vision of what a lineup needs to look like. Just the typical actions of a stubborn egomaniac coach.

Unbelievable :laugh:

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
new players aren't blind. they can see the double standards

How many new players have a realistic sense of self? It’s not just skill sets that are required: self-confidence, resiliency, maturity, these and other traits are involved and we don’t get to evaluate these parts because we don’t know them. That double standard may be in place to help the young player develop as a person as well as a player and in the end be better in both parts of their lives than had they been rushed.

Reactions: IBeL13f

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
How many new players have a realistic sense of self? It’s not just skill sets that are required: self-confidence, resiliency, maturity, these and other traits are involved and we don’t get to evaluate these parts because we don’t know them. That double standard may be in place to help the young player develop as a person as well as a player and in the end be better in both parts of their lives than had they been rushed.

I really wish this conversation can be had without it being asserted that anything except "back to the Marlies!" is "rushing".

Dermott played like he was our second best defenseman. It's not "rushing" him to think he should continue to play for now. It's a really reasonable thought to have.

It's not a reach to let a guy who plays well, play. The reach is dreaming up philosophical reasons not to.

It's sports. You need patience and planning, but let's not try to re-invent the wheel here.

Reactions: 7even

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Dermott will be beast next season, Babs and Lou know how to develop players, no need to rush things
  • Dermott has played 46 shifts for the Leafs and 33 shifts have started at a face off only 4 have been in the dzone.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
There's a couple things I noticed right off the bat with Dermott.

1. His gap control is very very good for a player that has less than 5 games in the NHL. There were 2 times in the Sens game that someone entered the Leafs zone, the Sens player would hit the brakes and Dermott would be within 3 feet of him.

2. His skating is as advertised. Nothing more to say about that, which hasn't been pointed out already. Great to see.

I don't think that he looks out of place at all. The only downside of his play that I've noticed is he needs to get a little stronger on his stick in the defensive zone. But that comes with time and he'll learn how to play to a style that suits him the best.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
You have to like how Dermott is looking early on..

Seems very poised which is a great trait as a lot of rookies and young players panic under pressure and Travis seems to be a cool customer and level headed.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Dermott getting better every game. Hoping as he gains more and more confidence he doesn't start forcing plays and making mistakes.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Really hoping Dermott keeps it up and sticks. IMO he's the only realistic internal replacement for Gardiner the Leafs have (the Leafs have some promising prospects but have some development to do).

realgoodleafs

Oct 29, 2006
SW Ontario
You have to like how Dermott is looking early on..

Seems very poised which is a great trait as a lot of rookies and young players panic under pressure and Travis seems to be a cool customer and level headed.

Didn't you want the little injury prone winger named Konecny?

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Didn't you want the little injury prone winger named Konecny?

Nope

Not a fan of little wingers and believe C and D's should be the desire with 1st round picks when deciding BPA. Certainly not after already taking Marner at #4 ,Konecny would not be an option after that. Had Leafs drafted either Barzal (my #3 ranked) or Provorov (my #4 ranked) BPA at #4 then perhaps Konecny would be a consideration (but I had Anaheim Dman Jacob Larsson) ahead of Konecny on my BPA list at #24.

I was hoping for Thomas Chabot to be on the board with Leafs pick here but wanted to trade up to get Barzal when he was falling, not trade back.

As a 2nd round pick Dermott is a good choice as BPA were he went, but I would have ended up with Sebastian Aho at #34 from my draft board, in fact he would have been BPA even after Leafs traded back the 1rt time from #24 (passing on Konecny) and dropping to #29.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->