Waived: DeKeyser

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
We needed Leddy-Seider to work and then I think the thought process is we would run Dekeyser-Hronek. But for whatever reason, I don't think Leddy-Seider has worked. I heard them saying during one of our recent games that Seider has a great plus/minus despite the fact that his 2 most common partners have terrible plus/minuses.

Our chemistry on our defensive pairings is bad and it shows. We need to get a different mix of guys back there around the young players.

The advanced analytics early in the season showed that Leddy - Seider was one of the top 10 pairs in the NHL. The only game where I thought they were off early on was the very first game of the season when Detroit lost to Tampa. Other than that I thought they looked respectable.

Also look at Leddy's +/- while playing with Seider vs. the rest of the season. He was only -2 in the first 10 games of the year. There are some really big minus games and several games of being even, but very few of being a plus player. Hronek's numbers are similar.

Nick Leddy 2021-22 Game Log | Hockey-Reference.com

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Nice to see. Sucks for him on his birthday, but let's be real, he should have been cut 4 months ago.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Holland kept Derek Meech over Quincey.

Going with the "vet wins a tie" philosophy that was in place, the roster choice going into the '08-'09 season came down to a choice between the two young guys, Quincey and Meech, and Holland chose to waive Quincey. It was a baffling and infuriating choice at the time
considering Meech was a poor man's Lebda, and Lebda was still on the team.

That was a perfect example of the asset management blind spots that Holland had. Why keep a player that is incredibly similar to one you already have (an under-sized "puck-moving" utility player) at the expense of a different type of player (larger, physical shut-down utility player) that you don't have a lot of.
Well he kept both of them over Quincey when it should've been obvious Chelios had no real future with the club.

With Quincey and Meech there was at least hope for improvement, as misguided as it was. But I agree I think it all is a symptom of how bad Holland and crew were at drafting and developing Dmen in that era. So many swing and misses.

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
Leddy has been a huge disappointment, and I supported the hell out of trading for him.
He was brought in to provide some experience and leadership to the defense. I heard he may be on the trading block but cannot imagine anybody wanting him.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
I gotta say, I don't really understand why we're rushing to make all these in-memoriam posts when we went through this same thing a year ago. He could very well be in the lineup next week.

This feels different because of the fact we just claimed another LHD and now have 9 defensemen on the roster. Someone is going to get squeezed, and DDK is as good a candidate as anyone.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
This feels different because of the fact we just claimed another LHD and now have 9 defensemen on the roster. Someone is going to get squeezed, and DDK is as good a candidate as anyone.

I haven't ruled out this is step one to DeKeyser getting half his salary retained and moved for a "conditional pick" (i.e. nothing) for a team that wants a backup option should the team lose defenders in the playoffs.

Despite our frustrations, some teams could do worse than DeKeyser compared to their completely inexperienced AHL options.

Reactions: SirloinUB

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
Was this a formality to get Juolevi on the team? Or is DeKeyser needed to carry Grand Rapids?

Moving Rowney to IR, they had the space for both guys on the roster, albeit with carrying 0 extra forwards and 3 extra D. The move gives them the flexibility to send him down to GR (even if it's just on paper) just in case they need to call up a forward or goalie in a short term pinch and for whatever reason can't use emergency recall.

Wings probably want the flexibility to call up a forward or two if needed for when Bertuzzi won't be available for 3 games on their upcoming western road trip.

Given DeKeyser's cap hit and level of play, Yzerman was likely to get struck by Lightning 19 times before he might lose the Dman on waivers, and all other Wings Dmen would be a potential risk to get claimed.

The Griffins already have a log jam of veteran D, so DeKeyser going there just means another veteran guy has to sit out if they want to play him. I would bet that if DeKeyser gets sent down, it'll be on paper only and he'll just get a little break before he's called back up either when the Wings trade away a dman or two, or at least right before the trade deadline passes if they don't.

Last edited:

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
I haven't ruled out this is step one to DeKeyser getting half his salary retained and moved for a "conditional pick" (i.e. nothing) for a team that wants a backup option should the team lose defenders in the playoffs.

Despite our frustrations, some teams could do worse than DeKeyser compared to their completely inexperienced AHL options.

Totally possible.

And something has to give today, right? With Vrana getting activated and DDK still on board, the roster is at 24, no? Also of note... they practiced with 8 defensemen and DDK was not one of them.

cjeagle

Jul 10, 2016
Chicago
This gives Yzerman some flexibility at the trade deadline if he decides to trade a defenceman off the Redwings roster allowing them to just call DDK up.

Reactions: ShelbyZ

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
DeKeyser is out scoring Leddy at even strength this season, fyi.

Lindstrom too.

Leddy has been a huge disappointment, and I supported the hell out of trading for him.

I think Leddy looked very good when he played with Seider.
The problem with many of our players play far over their ability. The lone position where a player can look on a bad team like this the goalie like Bernier last season.

Reactions: cjm502

ThankGord

Jul 11, 2018
GR, MI
Totally possible.

And something has to give today, right? With Vrana getting activated and DDK still on board, the roster is at 24, no? Also of note... they practiced with 8 defensemen and DDK was not one of them.

Rowney to IR, Veleno back to Detroit. DDK waived, Vrana activated. Puts us at 23.

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
Rowney to IR, Veleno back to Detroit. DDK waived, Vrana activated. Puts us at 23.

DDK was waived, but he’s still on the roster since he went unclaimed.

EDIT: Ah, I see now they moved DDK to IR. That solves that problem.

cjm502

Bingo Bango!
Jun 22, 2010
Mid Michigan
Lindstrom too.

I think Leddy looked very good when he played with Seider.
The problem with many of our players play far over their ability. The lone position where a player can look on a bad team like this the goalie like Bernier last season.
I have really liked Leddy with Seider. Seider makes all his partners look good, but I feel Leddy sees the most benefit from being paired with Mo.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
I have really liked Leddy with Seider. Seider makes all his partners look good, but I feel Leddy sees the most benefit from being paired with Mo.
I was like is this the same player? He looked good and he probably wanted to look good so he gets traded to a playoffs team.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Hopefully by the time I'm 67.

35 years to go.
62 for me, my company has a pension plan so I don't have to worry about waiting for social security or eating into the 401k. Plus I could pay my house off right now if I sold my ski condo. Or sell all my crap and live in the ski condo.

11 years to go.

Oddly, I'm actually considering moving back to MI when I retire.

Reactions: nhlisawesome

dalem177

Plausible Keats
Oct 4, 2021
Minnesota

I understand it's a business, but I would have liked to have seen Montana. I mean, I would like to see DDK's whole career be as a Red Wing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad