Waived: DeKeyser

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
I wish no ill will toward DeKeyser but this move makes me happy simply because it reinforces the notion that Yzerman does what is necessary, no matter the situation, which is in stark contrast to the ol' country club run by Holland.

I agree - to a certain extent. This move should have been done ages ago, Dekeyser hasn't been an NHL caliber defense since his hip/back injuries took over his body.

Still, a great, necessary move.

1878rgw

Jun 29, 2017
Getting the "A" means Abschied(farewell) for the last two seasons.

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
I don't know why this is, but it feels like DeKeyser should be older than 32. Perhaps a reflection on how time passes when things aren't going well.

But maybe this is actually the end of that era.
I think you're right. The eyes definitely tell me that he is more and more losing his ability to be mobile and seemingly needs more and more rest as the season goes along. If only he was actually used sparingly when he first came back, like Blashill said he was going to. Probably would have given Danny another year or two longer in the league. My guess is that his overuse, after his return from surgery, caused the quicker degeneration than what was expected.

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
I remember when DeKeyser first started and a lot of people (myself included) thought he was going to be a permanent second-pair guy you could solidify a defense around.

Age and injuries were not kind to him. You can tell he still thinks the game well but he just does not have the body for pro hockey anymore.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
I don't know why this is, but it feels like DeKeyser should be older than 32. Perhaps a reflection on how time passes when things aren't going well.

I'm guessing his physical issues made him seem older than he is. But also this is Dekeyser's 10th season with the Wings.

When he started, the team had Datsyuk, Z, Franzen, Kronwall, Flip (the 1st time around), Cleary, Abdelkader, Drew Miller, Patrick Eaves...

That era feels forever ago.

He gets a lot of heat around here but Dekeyser pretty much fell into Holland's lap when the team was desperate for NHL defenseman. He's been asked to play over his head for the better part of a decade.

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
Waived before...but this time he's healthy. Plus they just picked up a defender on waivers, will try to shop Leddy, Stetcher. This time feels permanent to me.

He was a good defender in his day, good undrafted get. Worked out well, tbh.

If Holland were still here though, I doubt Dekeyser would be leaving so soon.

Glad for Stevie Y and if Steve did it on Dekeyser's birthday instead of waiting a day or two, must be something in the works.

Reactions: BSHH

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I've got one eye on Edmonton to see if Danny makes one last ride as coveted "playoff depth."

I know that's a meme at this point, but they do actually need blueline help right now. Normally I'd hand waive this away but mmmayybbee?

Don't think anybody is gonna pick that 5M caphit from waivers.

50% retention in a trade is the way to go, if there's any move.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI

Really? I feel like he should still be 25 lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad